A229 Pro, when?

Does anyone know if the bitrates are listed somewhere? I mean what is the bitrate for 2 channel in max resolution, 3 channel, etc. Thanks.

Thanks, just trying to make sure the 256 GB Sandisk Max Endurance I already has can handle the highest bitrate for 2 channel (80ish MB/s).
I'd imagine it would be good with most name brand cards otherwise they'd have to stipulate in their promo material, the limitations

I'd imagine it would be good with most name brand cards otherwise they'd have to stipulate in their promo material, the limitations
Supposedly the Samdisk max endurance card only does 40 MB/s sequential write? https://www.westerndigital.com/tool...sd/data-sheet-max-endurance-uhs-i-microsd.pdf

This recommends Sandisk Extreme (not rated for high endurance), the Viofo brand and the Sandisk Max endurance.

The Sandisk Extreme (not extreme pro, that is a tiny bit faster but for a lot more money) can do 130 MB/s write, but is not rated for high endurance. It does have a lifetime warranty (same with Extreme Pro), but you are basically going to go out of commission for a few weeks every year or so for the warranty process (past experiences on my Extreme Pro). At this point, I wonder if the 512 GB storage limit on the product page is actually the limit or if you could pull off a 1 TB (more storage = less write cycles = longer time between warranty periods). https://www.westerndigital.com/prod...disk-extreme-uhs-i-microsd#SDSQXAF-032G-GN6MA

The only other card I would consider is the Samsung 512 GB pro plus, but their warranty replacement (and timeframe - not lifetime) is worse than that of Sandisk extreme and they don't even make a 1 TB.

Edit: Just bought the 512 GB Sandisk Extreme microSD

Last edited:
Thanks, just trying to make sure the 256 GB Sandisk Max Endurance I already has can handle the highest bitrate for 2 channel (80ish MB/s).

I think you are confusing Megabits per second with Megabytes. There are 8 bits to a byte, so 80mbps is only 10MB/s.

So the issue is not write speed, it is endurance of constant writing to the card.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

I think you are confusing Megabits per second with Megabytes. There are 8 bits to a byte, so 80mbps is only 10MB/s.

So the issue is not write speed, it is endurance of constant writing to the card.

I just assumed the linked chart maker confused Mbps with MBps.
If you have 4k @ 30 fps at 59.8 Mbps (assume 60 Mbps and then for 1 minute would be 450 MB). Assuming max bitrate of 84 Mbps, that would only be 10.5 MBps.
I guess it doesn't matter much since I want to max out the 512 GB storage and the max capacity of Sandisk Max Endurance (or any high endurance card) is 256 GB.
Though it is good to know so that I can continue to use my current 256 Max Endurance card as a spare if the new 512 Extreme needs to be warrantied.

Neat link to figure out how long it will take at a given bitrate to fill up a SD card https://www.omnicalculator.com/other/download-time

Last edited:
Megabits and Megabytes / second have often cauced some problems.

Of course the 2 are related in that the higher bitrate the more footage the camera generate, i look at megabits as sort of a image quality multiplier, even if as some point having more bitrate is just a waste.
Years ago i tried modified firmwares on a camera, and they went as high as 36 mbits for that 1080p camera, but really after 28 mbits you dident really see any improvement.
So that for instance took care of the blocking you will see more or less when a dashcam enter a ultra busy environment, like trees lining the road with sun filtering thru and so also make shadows on the road.
It also meant that the 3 minute files from that camera, well with the big birate firmware that was like 1000 MB for 3 minutes of video, where the factory 16 - 18 mbit was like 300 MB

Megabytes / second, that to me is just a indicater of how fast you can write / read from a storage media.

Is the CPL filter only for the front camera on Viofo? The product page says "is suitable for the front camera lens" and I don't see a place for the lens to "latch on" on the rear unit. I know for Street Guardian it worked for both front and back.

The bitrate and how much of it you use, that of course also depend on the file format, a rule of thumb is 100 mbit in H.264 encoding you can do the same with 50 mbit in H.265 encoding, the main difference here is you need a SOC with more calculative power to be able to encode the H.265

Also whu youtube again re encode the video you upload so a even higher tier encoding so the footage take up even less space on their servers, i would assume carrying on with the example above if you change to AV1 encoding, you could make do with a 25 mbit bitrate

On viofo cameras the CPL often just clicked onto the lens,,,, " bump " in the old days when they used wedge shaped rear cameras, that same CPL woulkd also work on those, but now that they changed to the barrel / cylinder shaped remote cameras, something else are needed for those.

you can see the little " slit " the CPL would click into on viofo cameras ( front ) in this picture.
iu

Old style remote wedge camera, as you can see same shape / mounting on the lens " bump"

iu

The A 229 pro appear to use a screw on / press on filter now, but that will not work on the rear camera as far as i can tell.
Not aware if there are a special filter for the new shape remote cameras, i do prefer myself to also have a CPL filter on the rear camera.

The new remote cameras probably are as they are so the same shape can be used for both a rear camera or a interior camera with IR support light, in the latter case they just need another facia plate with holes in it for the IR emitters around the lens.

You are correct with the 10MB/s, so an ancient Class 10 card will work fine, and a Class 6 is quite likely to work, but modern cards have issues when writing multiple channels, they need time to clear the deleted areas ready for reuse, and to perform their wear levelling, and then they slow down when they get too warm; so modern cards, unlike the old Class X cards, do not guarantee any write speed unless the camera provides a lot of buffering, which dashcams don't like to do, just in case of data loss on power failures.

So the requirement is to choose a Viofo recomended card, not one that claims any particular write speed.

For most people, endurance isn't much of an issue, but cards do slow down with use, so for drivers that spend a lot of time on the road, or if you want 24/7 recording, then an endurance card should stay reliable for longer.

Last edited:
I've previously found the Thinkware CPL filter to be a pretty close fit with the Viofo barrell rear cameras.

In the description on the manufacturer’s website, the A229 Pro and A229 Plus have the same characteristics for the rear and interior cameras.
Does this mean they are interchangeable? Can the rear and interior cameras from the A229 Pro be used with the A229 Plus? :unsure:
Neither the manufacturer nor the users who received these models know the answer?

Back