A229 Pro, when?

Remember there may be the need to update firmware.

Still waiting on Amazon... I'll let y'all know if I ever see it there. The Viofo website is currently down though.

Long time lurker here...but ordered 6th Oct, shipped today 9th Oct. DHL Express which I expect to be DHL even on the final mile leg.

The link for the rear camera firmware download on both of the new support pages don't work. There's no "https://" in the front of the link URL.

I've sent an email to VIOFO to correct those two link problems and I asked them if they could clean up the references to the older product (A229 Duo) when they referring to the new product. My guess is the new pages were copied from the older A229 Duo support page and then tweaked for the new products.

I noticed the same on the manual, I can not download the manual, but can get both of the firmware. I see that @VIOFO-Support has not improved on the naming convention
of their firmware. By now, they should be running with the big dogs and figured out to put a date on the actual binary instead of just the camera name. Users will never know
which FW version they are installing without a version noted in the FW file name, or at least a date in the file name. It would be a good idea as well to note on the website, which
file is front cam and which file is rear cam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Yee Haw!! My two A229 Pro arrived a day early! DHL just dropped the package off at my door; four days from China to Virginia is pretty darn fast.

All the bits and pieces are there, the CPL is in a cute little white plastic case that is reminiscent of an Apple product. Parchment like paper with the hook up is drawn
on it, manual, clear plastic, sticky pads, hooks, two 256gb microSDXC memory cards, all there. Now, a quick read on the manual, a check to see which FW I
have and will begin the install tomorrow.

Thank you @viofo !

Well, Yee Haw!! My two A229 Pro arrived a day early! DHL just dropped the package off at my door; four days from China to Virginia is pretty darn fast.

All the bits and pieces are there, the CPL is in a cute little white plastic case that is reminiscent of an Apple product. Parchment like paper with the hook up is drawn
on it, manual, clear plastic, sticky pads, hooks, two 256gb microSDXC memory cards, all there. Now, a quick read on the manual, a check to see which FW I
have and will begin the install tomorrow.

Thank you @viofo !
Can CPL fit on rear? For those of us with rear tint

You may not want to combine a CPL with tinted glass (depending on what type of tint you have) as it can cause strange rainbows in your videos.
I thought without the CPL you might get that affect? I have CPL and tint on both front and rear windshield with my Streetguardian 9663DC(not DC pro) and don't get the affect, but maybe vendor dependent?

I thought without the CPL you might get that affect?
Only if you can see the effect with your eyes.
But if you could then you wouldn't buy the car!

With the CPL, you will only get the effect if you can also see it when wearing polarised sunglasses/driving glasses.
Normally only with ceramic windshield tint, and normally only aftermarket tint, since cars should work OK when wearing driving glasses.

Can CPL fit on rear? For those of us with rear tint

I do not know, as my two channel unit is actually the main front camera and the interior camera. I ordered two setups that way, I will have one main camera at the front and at the rear, facing outward. The two IR interior cameras will be positioned close to each main camera, and pointing inward.

Only if you can see the effect with your eyes.
But if you could then you wouldn't buy the car!

With the CPL, you will only get the effect if you can also see it when wearing polarised sunglasses/driving glasses.
Normally only with ceramic windshield tint, and normally only aftermarket tint, since cars should work OK when wearing driving glasses.
Yea I can see with my polarized sunglasses on, but not on the video file. Definitely do wanna add CPL on rear for headlights at night though. Didn't look possible due to rear design though. Please let me know if anyone with it tests if it fits so I can buy the CPL from Amazon so when the 229 Pro pops up on Amazon I have the CPL ready.

I have ceramic tint on both. Front is 3M Crystalline 20, rear is FormulaOne Stratos (35?)

Last edited:
I thought without the CPL you might get that affect? I have CPL and tint on both front and rear windshield with my Streetguardian 9663DC(not DC pro) and don't get the affect, but maybe vendor dependent?

From your posts it sounds like you should be fine with the tint you have in your car. As I mentioned, only certain types of tint will cause the problem as Nigel also points out but I thought I'd post it as a FYI just in case. I'd suggest perusing the link I posted if you want to learn more. We often get people coming to the forum wondering what is causing their weird rainbow problems. Basically, a polarizing tint applied to the glass plus a polarizing filter (CPL) causes the problem.

Back