About ready to throw in the towel... (card errors from hell)

did you extract the zip file before copying the bin file to card?
No I have not done that yet. It downloads already in a ".bin" format. So there is no ".zip" to unzip.
However, I do notice when I double click the .bin file, it opens another file with a ".bin.cpgz" format.

On their website, they have some instructions so I was following them.
The instructions say to plug the camera in with my desired memory card (the one suggested by Viofo) and download the .bin file.
Then all I'm supposed to do is drop the file into the root folder on the card, wait for a flashing red REC light to stop, and then eject.
Upon turning the camera on, I formatted the card in-camera (per their instructions) and then tried recording but it wouldn't work.

I then repeated all of the above steps by using an SD card adapter instead of doing all of this through my A119S, but no cigar.

Making me wonder if the unit is a bad run and lightening may have struck twice. :unsure:

OK. So there was a batch of A119S cameras that couldn’t update from V2.4. Viofo released a special loader that needed to be loaded onto the camera before it could be updated beyond V2.4. After the special loader update, the camera would then be fine for any further updates. Unfortunately, I am currently on vacation, so I do not have access to this loader file. There is probably a link to it somewhere in one of these threads, just not sure where. I’ll see if I can find it.
Not saying this will fix your issues of the camera not liking the cards though. I’d get it updated to the latest firmware and see what happens.
I found the thread, but it refers to the A119 not being able to update beyond V3.4, so I may be confusing my cameras. Unfortunately, without access to my office computer, I can’t say for sure which camera it was. Sorry. Maybe someone else can recall and assist.

Thank you for looking into it. Hopefully someone will see your reply and chime in on some answers!
Thanks for taking the time. :giggle:

ok no problem, wasn't sure what format the file was in when you downloaded
For a moment, I thought we had an "aha!" moment but, ah well. :p

At this point, would you suggest possibly sending the unit back? :unsure:

not looking good, which seller did you buy it from?
A little confused here.

When I go on my past Amazon orders, the seller shows as "OCD Tronic".
When I click on the link to that product that I ordered, it takes me here to Viofo's store.
So who sold me the item? :confused:

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 8.42.31 AM.png

When I bought my FIRST Viofo A119S, I bought it from a merchant on Amazon called Light In The Box. They took it back with no questions asked, so I went through OCD Tronic, because they were more legit with reviews.

Last edited:
@OCD Tronic will be able to look up the order number and confirm
Wow, they're a member here? That's convenient! :cool:

One thing I noticed is...in my OP, I said I had this dash cam for 6 months before things started to go awry...but I think I'm mistaken. April 18th means I've only had it for 2 months. Even less time. o_O

No I have not done that yet. It downloads already in a ".bin" format. So there is no ".zip" to unzip.
However, I do notice when I double click the .bin file, it opens another file with a ".bin.cpgz" format.

On their website, they have some instructions so I was following them.
The instructions say to plug the camera in with my desired memory card (the one suggested by Viofo) and download the .bin file.
Then all I'm supposed to do is drop the file into the root folder on the card, wait for a flashing red REC light to stop, and then eject.
Upon turning the camera on, I formatted the card in-camera (per their instructions) and then tried recording but it wouldn't work.

I then repeated all of the above steps by using an SD card adapter instead of doing all of this through my A119S, but no cigar.

Making me wonder if the unit is a bad run and lightening may have struck twice. :unsure:
If you followed the above instruction exactly like this, then the camera will not update. Maybe you are just paraphrasing?
1) use a card reader and copy the .bin file to the root directory of the memory card (not in any folder).
2) place the card in the camera, then power it with a USB wall charger (phone charger) or in your car with the car adapter.
3) the REC light should blink, fast and slow, a few times, then the camera will reboot automatically and delete the .bin file. Whole process takes about 30 seconds or so.
4) after the reboot, go into the menu and manually default the cameras settings.

If you followed the above instruction exactly like this, then the camera will not update. Maybe you are just paraphrasing?
1) use a card reader and copy the .bin file to the root directory of the memory card (not in any folder).
2) place the card in the camera, then power it with a USB wall charger (phone charger) or in your car with the car adapter.
3) the REC light should blink, fast and slow, a few times, then the camera will reboot automatically and delete the .bin file. Whole process takes about 30 seconds or so.
4) after the reboot, go into the menu and manually default the cameras settings.
Thanks for clarifying.

I went ahead and did it this way, following your instructions carefully.
On step 3 however, it appears I am hitting the same wall.

The camera does not go through any sort of update process with the REC light blinking rapidly.
The camera turns on, displays the VIOFO logo, and then immediately pushes a blue info window with the words "Format MicroSD Card".
During this time, the REC light is holding a steady red color, and not blinking. I am not sure if the camera is processing.
If I format the card before it has a chance to update, then I'm assuming it's going to just toss the .bin file without even recognizing its purpose.

Hmm. :unsure:

Try formatting the card in to camera, then immediately power down the camera and try my instructions again.
The camera really does not like your card for some reason. Using a MAC to download and transfer the file could be an issue too. There have been other MAC user who have issues updating. Do you have access to a PC?

Try formatting the card in to camera, then immediately power down the camera and try my instructions again.
The camera really does not like your card for some reason. Using a MAC to download and transfer the file could be an issue too. There have been other MAC user who have issues updating. Do you have access to a PC?
Will do in the next hour.

The weird thing is that this Samsung Evo card is what Viofo suggests for users to buy. I just find it weird that it's having issues when all the reviews online show very few people having trouble with the recommended card.
I do have access to a PC but I use a Mac because I edit my clips together. So maybe I could use the PC to format the card to be read by Mac & PC (ExFat), instead of using the Mac to format the card.
I will do this very shortly and I will reply with my findings.

Good call.
Hope it works.

There have been some talking of MAC computers leaving some invisible stuff on the card, i think the general advise is that if people use a MAC to view the files on the memory card it is advised to do a in camera format after that.
So to me that mean using the MAC to DL and put the new firmware on the card are out of the question, but doing it on the PC should be fine, just make sure the card have ben formatted in the camera or on the PC first.

It is normal to use a FAT32 format card to install firmware, which means using a 32GB or smaller card, or for a 64GB car you have to ensure it is FAT32 format, a normal format in a PC or MAC is incorrect.

Format the card using SD card formatter and then pop it into the camera. Camera will prompt that the card needs formatting, wait for the OK and Cancel options dialog to appear and then select OK. Once formatted transfer the latest firmware to the card and see if it flashes successfully.

If you don't mind my asking, where did you purchase your two cards?

Back