Accident not recorded

I do like that my A129 has an (optional) reminder to reformat the microSD card on a regular basis. I'm sure quite a few other cameras do this too.

It's a bit like the monthly email I get from my NAS drive stating the hard drive health status. If nothing else, the monthly notification is a reminder that we should check that everything is OK. These devices that we rely on can appear to be 'set and forget', but unfortunately it sometimes takes a failure for us to learn the hard way.

Thinking about NAS drives and multiple disk redundancy, would it be beneficial for a dashcam to have two microSD cards and write to both in parallel? My DSLR can do this with CF and SD cards simultaneously.

I have still not learned to backup my PC, though i have lost many gigabytes this way over the years.
But it was never important things so really dident mind, worst things have actually been loosing my browser bookmarks, but even those get restored and the ones getting lost, well they probably will not be missed.

I have still not learned to backup my PC, though i have lost many gigabytes this way over the years.
But it was never important things so really dident mind, worst things have actually been loosing my browser bookmarks, but even those get restored and the ones getting lost, well they probably will not be missed.

One time I had a shut down computer that got fried by a lightning strike that snuck through a well protected phone line that apparently got hit several miles down the road from my house up here on the mountain. I lost the internal modem, hard drive and mother board. The whole system was actually protected at the time by two big APC Back-UPS Pro units that did a great job protecting the AC line but not so good with the phone lines running into and out of them. Amazingly, after making me jump through a few hoops APC honored the guaranty they offer to cover any lightning damages that their surge suppressors don't prevent so they covered the cost of replacing everything. Anyway, I had just done a full back-up for the first time in quite awhile about a week before this happened and that sure saved my ass. I would have been screwed if I had lost all my data. So, I learned a good lesson and now I clone my machines on a regular rotating basis to multiple back up drives.

I'm not so sure? :geek: With 5 dash cams in my vehicle it can be a time consuming task to take the memory cards out of one or more of the dash cams, bring them into my house, load the files onto my computer, review the files and then take the cards back out to my truck and put them back into the dash cams. Checking my dip stick or the tire pressure takes a fraction of the time and effort.
Yeah, I know that for you and many other multi-dashcam users it's a hassle to check all the cards but you have to agree that the majority of people who come here with problems like the OP only have one dashcam. My comment was directed at those. ;)

Well, yeah I've already said that. The question is why you focus on such petty irrelevant BS when my post to the OP was actually about recommending that he get into a routine of checking his dash cam footage after what he experienced from not checking for six months.
I change my oil and filter, check my fluid levels, brake, power steering, radiator, trans fluid, tire pressure, air filter, cabin filter faithfully. change my brake pads, flush radiator, change wiper blades, change and bleed brake fluid/power steering fluid when needed. SO i promise to check the Memory card on a regular basis.

Yeah, I know that for you and many other multi-dashcam users it's a hassle to check all the cards but you have to agree that the majority of people who come here with problems like the OP only have one dashcam. My comment was directed at those. ;)

I hear you. Still, whether it's one camera or several, it takes more time to take the memory cards out of the camera, check the footage on the cards and get the memory card back out to my truck and into the camera that it does to check the oil or tire pressure. I guess my comment was directed at everyone who has a dash cam that it's not that big a deal (or shouldn't be) to check the footage a couple of times a month. :)

I change my oil and filter, check my fluid levels, brake, power steering, radiator, trans fluid, tire pressure, air filter, cabin filter faithfully. change my brake pads, flush radiator, change wiper blades, change and bleed brake fluid/power steering fluid when needed. SO i promise to check the Memory card on a regular basis.
You forgot your clutch fluid :D

And more importantly for the dashcam, the fluid that cleans the bugs and dust off the windscreen ;)

Cam belt might be a good idea too :unsure:

Here's an ideal, at least for the new dashcam owners, How about printing in the owners manual ( a check list ) to periodically check the memory card and format. I felt that since it holds a SD card with no moving parts that all is okay I know now that it's not the case. and the unit should not show that it is recording with the light on (blinking) give a warning on the screen that the card is not working.

Last edited:
Here's an ideal, at least for the new dashcam owners, How about printing in the owners manual to periodically check the memory card and format in the owners manual. I felt that since it holds a SD card with no moving parts that all is okay I know now that it's not the case. and the unit should not show that it is recording with the light on (blinking) give a warning on the screen that the card is not working.

As mentioned by @TonyM, some cameras, such as from Viofo have an optional feature selectable in the menu where the camera will remind you periodically to reformat the memory card. If one uses that setting, that would be an ideal time to have a look at the files to make sure all is well.

As mentioned by @TonyM, some cameras, such as from Viofo have an optional feature selectable in the menu where the camera will remind you periodically to reformat the memory card. If one uses that setting, that would be an ideal time to have a look at the files to make sure all is well.
Thanks Dashmellow, I realize their are dash cams on the market that do as you spoken of, guess i'm mentioning the unit I currently use SG9665GC v3 I'm still confused as to why the light would show the user that the unit is recording when it's not.

Thanks Dashmellow, I realize their are dash cams on the market that do as you spoken of, guess i'm mentioning the unit I currently use SG9665GC v3 I'm still confused as to why the light would show the user that the unit is recording when it's not.

It shouldn't do that. The "REC" LED in the uppermost left corner should blink slowly when it is recording and at the same time if you look at the image on the screen there should be a blinking RED dot that corresponds with the blinking RED LED. If those indicators are indeed blinking when the camera is running but nothing is being recorded, then something is wrong.

Yes the GC have a red REC led that flash like the red dot in the LCD screen ( haven't really noticed if they are synchronous or not ) it then also have a white power LED thats steady when powered, and then there is the red MIC LED thats either on or off depending on the mic being muted or not.

I am not sure if the GC can trick you with the LED's to think its recording when its not,,,,, i think it can, but this are also a major issue with many older cameras that have been pointed out many times, newer dashcams have a warning beep when not recording, it can be more or less well implemented but it should make a noise if it is not recording one way or the other.
I think ( not completely sure ) this issue have been rectified with the " GC V4" / SGGCX2 camera.

If a camera are not recording for what ever reason ( dead memory card or as i have done several times forgotten memory card ) then it making one aware of this are most important.

depends on the type of card failure, it can be sending data but the card is not able to process, the later processors are better at detecting this type of behavior but checking the card occasionally is something that should be done regardless

depends on the type of card failure, it can be sending data but the card is not able to process, the later processors are better at detecting this type of behavior but checking the card occasionally is something that should be done regardless

The Mobius (1) ONLY blinks if it is recording, otherwise it shows a solid RED. The one time I had a card failure (SandDisk Ultra red/grey) that came in pretty handy. The blinking RED LED is something I've relied on for 5 years now. My experience with the SG9665GC has been essentially the same. Are you saying that the Record indicator can blink if it is not recording properly?

The Mobius (1) ONLY blinks if it is recording, otherwise it shows a solid RED. The one time I had a card failure (SandDisk Ultra red/grey) that came in pretty handy. The blinking RED LED is something I've relied on for 5 years now. My experience with the SG9665GC has been essentially the same. Are you saying that the Record indicator can blink if it is not recording properly?

I'm saying cards can fail, it is not normal for it to show recording if it's not, some types of failures can't be accounted for

I'm saying cards can fail, it is not normal for it to show recording if it's not, some types of failures can't be accounted for

I guess what I'm saying is that the Mobius will let you know if the card has failed and therefore won't record or act like it's recording. I've been under the impression that the SG9665GC is the same but from what are suggesting, apparently not.

I might have a bad microSD card kicking around somewhere. If I can find it, I'll try it in the GC and see what happens.

Both use Novatek NT9665x CPU/SDK so nothing different for card error capabilities. It would be wildly rare if what was said above can ever even happen, but anything is possible when it comes to electronics as we all know.
NT9666x series has more options for this. (found in the 2018 SG9663DC etc)

Both use Novatek NT9665x CPU/SDK so nothing different for card error capabilities.

sort of, there's only so much you can detect, we also have a screen and a speaker so we can show error messages and force a restart which plays the startup sound so there's a couple of other situations we can try and bring it to the users attention

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D SG9665GC 14
niko SG9665GC 32
Back