Accident not recorded

It shouldn't do that. The "REC" LED in the uppermost left corner should blink slowly when it is recording and at the same time if you look at the image on the screen there should be a blinking RED dot that corresponds with the blinking RED LED. If those indicators are indeed blinking when the camera is running but nothing is being recorded, then something is wrong.
Exactly. Even in my old, obsolete, cheap camera, I've never lost any footage due to the camera not being recording when everything indicated it was because if there's something, anything wrong with the card and it stops storing data, the camera immediately stops recording, the red light stops blinking and the screen comes on. It has happened to me a couple of times in the 33 months I've been using this camera, reminding me it was time to format the card, just in case. :)
The card has been in continuous use for 39 months now and it's not yet showing any signs of wear.

Private Message received, 64GB Samsung EVO U3 Replacement card on the way

cant find customer service like this anywhere for anything nowadays.
u guys are amazing..

maybe i ma paranoid but i replace my cards every 6 months.
it may cost u thousands of dollars in insurance premium increases if u have nothing to prove that your not at fault.
my 2 cents.
cards are very inexpensive nowadays

Yes don't get too attached to your memory cards, but in general i have gotten around 2 years out of my memory cards, some even longer than that.
The #1 thing are to look over your footage now and then and see if the recordings on it correlate to what you would expect in regard to place drive sessions start and stop.
Not least if your camera don't have any form of alarm to alert if it have a problem ( common in some chip sets used today )
I have had top of the line memory cards die on me before i got the chance to fill them 1 time, and every brand of dashcam can fail too.

I had a similar issue happen today. Not an accident thankfully, but I wanted to get a clip off the SD card only to find that the latest video was from last month (August 2019). I had been using the same dashcam and SD card since November 2017 with no issues.

The dashcam (SG9665GC v3) didn't give me any warnings about the SD card. I do think it's an SD card issue though, as I tried deleting the videos off it, but after removing and re-inserting the SD card the videos are still there! I verified that the read-protect notch is not active either. Something very odd is happening. :/

I was using a SanDisk High Endurance 64 GB MicroSD card.

Time for a new card for sure it seems. They do wear out over time. The Memory card is the weakest link. Get a High Endurance U3 card for maximum longevity.

Time for a new card for sure it seems. They do wear out over time. The Memory card is the weakest link. Get a High Endurance U3 card for maximum longevity.
I'm surprised it only lasted two years, particularly since it's a high endurance card and I don't drive every day (I take a bus to work). It's still within SanDisk's two year warranty period (by two months) so I'm going to try RMA it. Will let you know what they say.

I don't know which is stronger: the frustration of a missed event or the relief that you discovered this without needing the footage your own self :p

I guess we've all had failures to record (or will eventually) for various reasons. I still remember my first round which was a budget-level cam failing, not the card. It involved a close call and an irate idiot who thought it smart to press matters further. When I got home to save the file there was nothing- the cam had shut down and I hadn't noticed that :eek: Had things escalated that vid would have been crucial as otherwise there would have been a 3 to 1 'eyewitness' argument and we all know how those things go when you're the 1 and not part of the 3 :(

It's good to see newer cams which warn you of card and recording failures but it's always going to be good wisdom to check the card regularly anyway. Also smart to have an extra card in the car in case you discover the problem on the road. Trust but verify anyway(y)

Phil

So I ran h2testw and it says the entire card is corrupt? That's a first. lol

Code:
Warning: Only 60893 of 60894 MByte tested.

The media is likely to be defective.
0 KByte OK (0 sectors)
59.4 GByte DATA LOST (124708864 sectors)
Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
59.4 GByte corrupted (124708864 sectors)
0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x0000000000000000
Expected: 0x0000000000000000
Found: 0xbf7604fd7a5e8105
H2testw version 1.3
Writing speed: 14.5 MByte/s
Reading speed: 17.6 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

The new U3 version of the High Endurance card is better than the original High Endurance card when you’re looking at new cards. We mainly bundle the latest 2019 Sandisk version of High Endurance U3 cards as of today

The new U3 version of the High Endurance card is better than the original High Endurance card when you’re looking at new cards. We mainly bundle the latest 2019 Sandisk version of High Endurance U3 cards as of today
I think I'm going to get a Samsung Pro Endurance 128 GB to replace the SanDisk. Seems like it has better reviews, and I've never had issues with Samsung's storage products (whereas I've had to RMA several SanDisk SD/MicroSD cards in the past, from my phones and my camera)

I wish the Street Guardian dashcam had wifi... It'd make it a lot easier for me to periodically check that the videos are being recorded properly, instead of having to get the SD card out of it.

I wish the Street Guardian dashcam had wifi... It'd make it a lot easier for me to periodically check that the videos are being recorded properly, instead of having to get the SD card out of it.
even if you're not checking it regularly at least get into the habit of formatting the card in camera occasionally, it helps keep things healthy, anytime you have had the card in another device you should always format when it goes back in the camera as well

TBH i dont in camera format when i have copied some files off the card for my youtube stuff on my PC, and that have always worked for me with any brand camera.
But otherwise yes you must do a in camera format now and then as it is dashcams only way ( as far as i know ) to reset / restore the File Allocation Table on the memory card.

even if you're not checking it regularly at least get into the habit of formatting the card in camera occasionally, it helps keep things healthy

Thanks! Will do.

I just got a new 128 GB Samsung Pro Endurance card to replace the old one. It's working well so far.

SanDisk also approved the RMA for my old MicroSD card, so I'll keep the new one they send me in the car as a spare.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D SG9665GC 14
niko SG9665GC 32
Back