Advice for Ferrari mirror replacement

Pixel6

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, new to the idea of getting a rear view mirror style dash camera. There are a zillion different variations, so rather than go thru all the pages, figured I'd rather post what I need out of the cam, and get your suggestions on which models to look at, if there are fakes of the model or sellers to avoid, and the best links to good sellers. Quality is priority number one, so no $79.99 suggestions. Looking for the $200-$500 range.

The info:
The placement of my OEM rear view mirror on my Ferrari is horrible, and blocks my view on most things on the right hand side of the windshield. (I'm 6'2) I can fix this by remounting the mirror up a bit, but I'd rather replace it all together. The stock mirror doesn't have a standard glass clip mount, (weird ferrari ball clip) so looking to replace this as well. (Glue a new standard mount to the glass only higher)

So, my requirements...
1. No clip on mirrors - must have a non suction permanent mount. Looking for one that will clip on to a standard mount.
2. Rear view or second camera a must. Will likely install it near the rear view mirror as the back glass is not even 3' from it. Removable targa top so can't go straight back.
3. Auto start up (power routed to a fuse), with motion or impact recording as well.
4. Auto loop recording a must.
5. 1080 front /720 rear (or better) quality.
6. Built in GPS with touch screen and a high quality large display screen.
7. Good build quality, and the ability to withstand heat and direct sunlight.
8. 32gb card for longer highest quality records.
9. Auto dim feature? Not absolutely required but would be nice.
10. Bluetooth and WiFi would be nice, but again not required. Are there any cams that have IOS apps for them?

Well, that's all I can think of... I've done a lot of nice upgrades to my car, and I want to be happy with this camera purchase for years to come.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

- Pixel6 -

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
exactly what you want is not currently available, will list what's possible from your list though based on current technology

1. no problem, if you have the place for it the replacement mirrors can be supplied with the appropriate mount base that is glued to the glass just like any regular car
2. there are models with dual cam function but currently 720p front, 480p rear, the 1080p front cam version is currently single cam and just with reverse cam function (for parking, not recording)
3. no problem
4. no problem
5. front 1080p is no problem, see point 2 above, once these go dual cam it will be dual 1080p
6. GPS tracking built in is no problem, if you want GPS mapping though (not clear on your meaning) currently unavailable together with DVR functionality, the GPS mirror versions do have touchscreen, the DVR version have a remote
7. no problem
8. no problem
9. available as an option
10. not in current product but something we'll see in future I'm sure

Thanks for the info jokiin.

I guess my wish list is bigger than the current market supplies.

I was referring to GPS mapping btw. But it seems like I can get GPS mapping, or GPS tracking + DVR, but not both.

This fancy mirror I want,with all the bells and whistles is really to get the most features possible, with these two basic needs accomplished.

To replace and move my current mirror so I can actually see out of that side of the car. (On one of my other cars I flipped the mirror 180° horizontal and got the desired result of raising the mirror... Being taller than average had made this a problem on most cars I own.)

And secondly, to have video proof of what happens to the car... wether or not I'm in it.

With your corrections to my desires in mind, what mirrors would you suggest?

- Pixel6 -

Last edited:
there are mirrors with mapping built in, I don't personally believe those are a great solution, not the ones currently available at least

there's a just completed full HD replacement mirror but as I mentioned the current version records front only and the rear cam input is just for when parking the car so you can see what's behind you, I'm sure a dual recording version will come but the solution needed is still a while away from being complete, mid next year maybe, that said though the single cam version is still a great unit and has built in automated parking mode to record when you're not there, low battery cutoff etc, I believe you should be able to buy that in the USA very soon, could be as early as January you'll see that available, I know a company based in California has been working on it, would be worth waiting for

I have been waiting and looking fir over 2y for similar solution. Tested 6-7 mirror dvr-s from 50-200usd, non of them meet my need. Only way I see when high end 2ch standalone car dvr system will available ( separate cameras from main unit ) then I can built in myself ( DIY ) camera into multifunctional rearview mirror.

Maybe you can consider of our product, 6000A and 6000B(have some bugs, stilling check).
1. Both with dual cameras. 6000A-front really Full HD 1080P/30fps, back HD 720p/30fps. 6000B - front Full HD 1080P/25fps, and back VGA.
2. Allwinner A10 solution. ATTENTION: 6000B with ANDROID system.
3.Auto start up when car start.
4.Auto loop recording.
5.6000A with GPS tracking function, and 6000B with GPS navigation function, also touch screen. both with 4.3'' LCD screen.
6. TF card as storage deive, max support 32GB.
7.6000A support bluetooth function, and 6000B support Wifi function.
8.you can replace and move the current mirror.

Attachments

• 6000A-3.jpg
    6000A-3.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 11
  • HS600Bzhutu.jpg
    HS600Bzhutu.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 16
I'm sure these are normally quite popular with Ferrari owners but the first requirement mentioned was no clip on mirrors ;)

Testarossa in Europe cost up to 100K$. So I guess no point offering cheap solution. I guess 1% from cost of car would not be a problem to spend on high-end all "bells and whistles", if only they would exist. Unfort at the moment demand is very little for such all in one solution ( with high-end performance ) so its not profitable for manufacturers to produce them at this point. But I hope in near future we will see them.

These look close to what I want. Not all the features, but they look what I envision out of the system. Only thing I'm not sure of is if the rear cams are just backup monitors , or DVR as well. G force sensors too?

For high quality car videos, I'll use my dual GoPro hero 3+ BE... The DVR is one of those peace of mind deals. Always recording, always documented.

http://bit.ly/1b5sz4i

http://bit.ly/1j36Puc

http://bit.ly/HGICvJ

Last edited:
Thoughts on one like this?

http://bit.ly/1b5sz4i

That one ( like many others with similar specs / fuctions ), - they are good within price range they sell, but video quality rec is the biggest drawback on them. They record even worth than most popular budget dash cam in this forum ( G1W = 52usd )

I could always get the best video quality mirror replacement... And a second high quality DVR as a stand alone unit for rear recording.

Best of both worlds... Only not synced. Actually, do the recordings for front and rear on dual DVRs sync as they record? Never even considered that until now.

There is one trusted manufacturer of high quality multifunctional mirrors ( autodimm, gps maps, 3 x AV input, parking sensor, bluetooth, etc ), but they dont have a good 2ch DVR ( dash cam solution ) yet. Maybe it going to take up to 1 year to develop high-end 2ch camera recording system for them. Meanwhile I would buy that multifunctional mirror and ask some DIY guy to integrate 2ch high end car dvr system, built-in front camera into rearview mirror. SOmething like this:
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/2-separate-mini-cameras-standalone-lcd-topsync-s-300hd.1632/
I had that idea for nearly 2 years, but still every month waiting until some manufacturer will come up with good high-end multifunctional mirror dvr system ( money is almost not an option, ready to pay fair price ), but still nothign out there. So it looks like I might build myself this system in some stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could always get the best video quality mirror replacement... And a second high quality DVR as a stand alone unit for rear recording.

Best of both worlds... Only not synced. Actually, do the recordings for front and rear on dual DVRs sync as they record? Never even considered that until now.

Heheee, you read my mind, read previous post ;)

A third option I have... Is to move my OEM mirror up, and add a nice dual recording DVR.

or 2 stand alone...

Hell 4 and I could get exhaust shots and a wheel arch permanent shot to boot.

12 and I would be automatically sponsored by Red Bull.

Lots of options... But still unsure which direction to travel on this one.

If it were your car, and you had my same requirements... But they couldn't all be met with my super awesome world of tomorrow Homer Simpson mirror-mobile, what system(s) would you go with?

Where's the compromise that is worth buying?

A third option I have... Is to move my OEM mirror up, and add a nice dual recording DVR.

or 2 stand alone...

how much room do you have, got a pic of the current mirror that can show how much room you have once moved etc?

Here's the current mirror placement. The mount itself on the glass is high enough... They just dropped the mirror too much with that elbow. Could have raised it 2 or 3 inches easy.

The placement gives you a better idea of why it has to go. Not as bad as the camera shot makes it look... But that's below my normal eye level (look at reflection in the mirror.)

I leaned forward for the shot, so it looks bigger than what I normally see when I lean back. But again... That height is horrid.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    985.9 KB · Views: 26
Pretty close to what I truly see ... Again looking at the reflection, took this shot a bit higher than normal, and still a bit forward from where my eyeballs are seated in my skull.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    921.9 KB · Views: 19
Back