Dash camera advice

Gbows

Reaction score
Country
United States
Contemplating installing a dash camera with backup battery for parking mode. My car has been dinged parked several times and tired of it. I'm not a daily driver and mostly drive on weekends. My biggest concern is having car battery issues since I don't drive every day to charge backup battery. Any advice and best camera trecommendations appreciated. Thanks Greg

"dinged"? Sounds like you may want to opt for a 360 degree view quad-dashcam (aka, 4-channel), like Planet Halo's PH4 (https://www.planethalocameras.com/products/dash-cam/ph4-m/). Though Planet Halo's PH4 appears to work in theory, I have no experience with it so I cannot vouch for its quality, reliability, ease of use, ability for realtime storage to the cloud, etc. As for the "having car battery issues", your best bet is most likely to use a Power Magic (or similar) battery pack with a hard-wiring kit and battery expansion modules. The base module typically gives you 24hrs continuous recording when fully charged, with each expansion module adding another +/- 24 hrs. (Sounds like you will need ~4 expansion modules.) The catch here is, however, that each module (base module and each of expansion module) will require you driving about 1 hour to fully charge; thus, assuming your scenario, you will need to drive some 5 hours each weekend to charge all battery packs in order to carry you through your next M-F weekly cycle. In practice you should probably plan on 6 battery packs total, with a corresponding number of driven hours per weekend (~6 hrs). Cost will add up quickly. Best wishes!

Welcome to the forum Gbows.

The cameras that support parking guard ( pretty much all of them ) the corresponding hard wire kit always have a low voltage cut off, and here you should not go below 12.2 volts which they say is a 50% depleted lead acid battery, still that should not have a too adverse effect on your car battery, though it will of course last shorter than if you did not do stuff like this.
Anyways you should still be able to start your car with a low voltage cut off like that.

Next thing is dings as you say, this is a problem cuz often the ding are not enough to set off the G sensor to create a event recording, so to sneak by this you can as i do use low bitrate always recording, then your system record all the time and you miss nothing, but thats still a problem cuz then you have no chance of telling when you got dented.
So say you have been at the cinema, and after that a bit of food with the family, then lets say your car have been parked for 3 hours, then upon getting back to your car, and you actually see there is a new dent, well as there are nothing to highlight it you pretty much have to sit and filter thru those 3 hours of recordings and listen for the dent,,,,,, cuz low bitrate do have audio too, something time lapse do not have.
Anyway chance are it probably happned as someone came or left the parking bay beside you, so you can scrub fast thru your footage and just go 1:1 speed for when someone cone or go,,,,, but it is probably still going to take its sweet time to find the actual event.

So even that approach is flawed, but IMO it is still the best and you can often pair it with the G-sensor too to at least trigger on larger than ding events.
I am asking makers for even more sensitive G sensors for when parked in a attempt to at least have a chance against low life's like that, maybe even a keying event.

Also if you just have 2 cameras ( front & rear ) you will also only see the offender coming or going, there is precious few dashcams out there that have side cameras that give you a down the side of the car footage, like you for instance see from tesla cars.
You can then install a #2 system using the 2 cameras on a side window ( like i also have but not in use for parking ) but then you film strait out the wside of your camera, but people / deeds up real close to the car you dont get a direct view to, as the dashcams are not that wide angle, so my setup are pretty much only good for when driving, hence why i do not use the 2 side cameras when i am parked.

My 4 cameras in action, me walking around car.

A chance event i pulled from the side system of a car parking next to me ( 1 bay over )

side system recording oncoming cars in good weather ( slowed down ), at highway speeds ( which in Denmark is 80 kmh / 50 mph )

The Korean ( the sane Korea ) brand Gnet, do actually make a down the side dual channel system, but it is just 720p cameras, and not really something you can find much real life feedback on.

Mounting on a side window isn't possible if you don't drive an SUV. As windows on a Sedan must open and close with the door. So no good area to place side camera. Unless hanging from headliner somehow.

Mounting on a side window isn't possible if you don't drive an SUV. As windows on a Sedan must open and close with the door. So no good area to place side camera. Unless hanging from headliner somehow.
Depends on the car.. Here is a shot of mine. You can see I actually have an area where I could mount side camera..

igre19g2uzf71.jpg

Depends on the car.. Here is a shot of mine. You can see I actually have an area where I could mount side camera..

Better stated MAY NOT be always possible with a Sedan. So yes, I stand corrected. ;)

My cameras on the side are on a not so small fixed glass on my rear doors, also have the same in the front of the front doors, but mirrors are right outside so never contemplated putting cameras there.
I also have my phone dock mounted off that fixed glass on the driver side door, but its just the damn phone so it could be moved if need be.

I think the angle even if mirror was in the footage would not allow for a view down the side in the mirrors, but maybe i should experiment a little on that some day in the future when i am installing a new test system anyway.

Of course what i drive, no American would see his worst enemy in, but it actually work fine for dashcams.

iu

My cameras on the side are on a not so small fixed glass on my rear doors, also have the same in the front of the front doors, but mirrors are right outside so never contemplated putting cameras there.
I also have my phone dock mounted off that fixed glass on the driver side door, but its just the damn phone so it could be moved if need be.

I think the angle even if mirror was in the footage would not allow for a view down the side in the mirrors, but maybe i should experiment a little on that some day in the future when i am installing a new test system anyway.

Of course what i drive, no American would see his worst enemy in, but it actually work fine for dashcams.

iu

I'm confused....The fixed glass on your door opens with the door (if that's your car in the image). So how exactly do you have the camera mounted?

Thank you everyone for advice. Actually when I said dinged I meant my vehicle has been hit parked several times. No major damage just annoying and tired of it.

Thank you everyone for advice. Actually when I said dinged I meant my vehicle has been hit parked several times. No major damage just annoying and tired of it.

A Viofo A139 will offer decent 360 coverage. If you are needing much better coverage then you could mount side cameras on the windows. If you have a sedan that'll accommodate this setup or an SUV.

Your big problem won't be the cams, but powering them. With only your car battery, you might get at best 8-12 hours recording time with 4-sided coverage. There's some easy solutions to extend coverage up to maybe 48 hours. Anything past that is going to get expensive and require a fair amount of work. If possible, home security cams would be a far better solution but that means always parking where they can see your car, and most likely they won't get license plates of the offending car. At night without good lighting, dashcams won't get plates well either. Knowing some details about where you park (side-by-side in a lot? Nose to tail roadside? Assigned parking or where you can find a space?) plus something about the lighting will help too. If where the damage is coming from is predictable then fewer cams could suffice.

Good full coverage with dashcams will start at ~$250. Auxillary power for 24-36 hours will be from ~$100 to $300 more according to how that's done. Extending recording past that will begin at ~$400 to ~$500 according to how that's done. None of this includes labor costs for doing the installation work. If the costs are prohibitive you can do it in chunks, adding parts as you can afford them, which will get you some coverage sooner. It's not always about what can be done so much as what is practical, and sometimes the benefits of less will be a better value than going all-out. It's something each of us has to decide for our self. There will be situations where no cam cam help much (stolen car, can't see the plates, rain or snow blocking the cam's view) but a good system can offer you a pretty good chance at catching the offender; nothing can guarantee that will always happen.

Phil

Your big problem won't be the cams, but powering them. With only your car battery, you might get at best 8-12 hours recording time with 4-sided coverage. There's some easy solutions to extend coverage up to maybe 48 hours. Anything past that is going to get expensive and require a fair amount of work. If possible, home security cams would be a far better solution but that means always parking where they can see your car, and most likely they won't get license plates of the offending car. At night without good lighting, dashcams won't get plates well either. Knowing some details about where you park (side-by-side in a lot? Nose to tail roadside? Assigned parking or where you can find a space?) plus something about the lighting will help too. If where the damage is coming from is predictable then fewer cams could suffice.

Good full coverage with dashcams will start at ~$250. Auxillary power for 24-36 hours will be from ~$100 to $300 more according to how that's done. Extending recording past that will begin at ~$400 to ~$500 according to how that's done. None of this includes labor costs for doing the installation work. If the costs are prohibitive you can do it in chunks, adding parts as you can afford them, which will get you some coverage sooner. It's not always about what can be done so much as what is practical, and sometimes the benefits of less will be a better value than going all-out. It's something each of us has to decide for our self. There will be situations where no cam cam help much (stolen car, can't see the plates, rain or snow blocking the cam's view) but a good system can offer you a pretty good chance at catching the offender; nothing can guarantee that will always happen.

Phil

I think for most an 8-12 hour record time is ample. Going to store, running errands, parking at work, etc. So the chances he'll need multiple expensive battery packs daisy chained together is probably unlikely. But if he has an unlimited budget I believe those battery parks runabout $300 USD each.

I think it's important to point out that the 360 coverage of the Viofo A139 dashcam refers to manually rotating the cam to record, say, from the front (exterior) of the vehicle to the interior of the vehicle, as opposed to recording 360 >around< the vehicle, that is, front rear and the two sides.

My side cameras are just stuck to the fixed glass in a regular manner, and the wire is routed down thru the door and thru the rubber grommet that house the speaker cables ( not electric windows in the back )
And then into the bottom of the B pillar, the small USB C cables of the K2S system was easy to route thru the rubber cable duct that bride the gap between door and B pillar.

The pic is just one of a car similar to mine, my car is red and not even metallic paint.

Big + is plenty of room for cameras in the front, and there is a wiper on the rear window so 2 cameras put side by side at the very top and dead center have wiper coverage, any more cameras in the back and i will have to stagger then down the glass, making for a not at all stealthy install.
Stealth have now taken more of a back seat, probably due to me being more confrontation seeking, so i would just love a argument over my rear cameras, or maybe even a fist fight. :)

I think it's important to point out that the 360 coverage of the Viofo A139 dashcam refers to manually rotating the cam to record, say, from the front (exterior) of the vehicle to the interior of the vehicle, as opposed to recording 360 >around< the vehicle, that is, front rear and the two sides.

The A139 does a "Decent" job of looking out the windows. This is my car.interior.jpg

Stealth have now taken more of a back seat, probably due to me being more confrontation seeking, so i would just love a argument over my rear cameras, or maybe even a fist fight. :)
IMO, stealth is great for the front but in the rear I'd rather use as huge a cam as possible so drivers will be dissuaded from tailgating, but don't know if that's just me.

Again thanks everyone for all tips and advice. Appreciate all the camera recommendations. I don't trust website reviews on dash cameras. I know it ain't cheap buying and installing dash cams. Thanks to this forum will help with my decision.
Greg

I am affiliated with a few brands that i have gotten free cameras from, but that dont mean i try to hide the truth about some product, or praise it more than it need to be praised.
I dont really do reviews as such, i think more of myself as a information gathering and sharing individual.

For instant the A139 which is the first viofo product i have tested, it have been pretty uneventful in the 7 or so months i have used it, and the only place i can speak against it is if you plan on using parking guard, CUZ here i have had some issues with it, mainly not getting the parking guard duration's ( 6 & 12 hours ) i have set it to, though the 1 hour parking guard i use that cover all my shopping that seem to be fine.

Back