After all my doubts I bought one!... DavidUK's A119 odyssey

@Sutton - I'm already becoming fond of it like a poorly baby. Should I give up on the poor little soul and send it back? Or should I nurture it and help it overcome its problems as it struggles through its life. A life that's just begun... :(
If the only issue is a slight buzzing noise that a) doesn't affect you while you are driving, and b) doesn't affect it's primary purpose of recording an incident, then I'd say you're almost ready to set-and-forget and stop worrying about it. For example, I have some black dots in the upper corner of one of my camera's view, but I'm not going to reposition it as I don't think it significantly detracts from the recorded video.

If however you're wanting to keep recorded videos for posterity then cleaning up the audio may well be worthwhile.

OK, so flickering has gone in the daylight. That's fine, it's the indoor lighting "clash" which caused it. I'm on 60hz.
(Also noticed I have WDR switched off, so that's on now).

And I think it may have been me not knowing how to mount/unmount the microSD that's caused the other issue of files - I was leaving the SD adapter in the Mac and just removing the micro SD from it. But doing that, the Mac doesn't register it going in or out. However, that wouldn't explain why it didn't format and remove the previous day's clips when I went through the format process in the cam? The hard reset of the cam yesterday, followed by a card format solved that, and it's working as normal today, removing the previous data when formatted in the cam. All is good, bar the buzzybuttons...

@Sutton - I'm already becoming fond of it like a poorly baby. Should I give up on the poor little soul and send it back? Or should I nurture it and help it overcome its problems as it struggles through its life. A life that's just begun... :(
But Dave, with all your A119 problems I feel like returning mine lol. Also u mentioned ur set on 60 HZ but if ur located in Europe should u not be on 50 HZ North America is 60 HZ

Then the setting is wrong. The UK's mains frequency is 50Hz.

What benefit switching to 50hz? Not with you?
Is it for playback, recording under street lights... what?

If I was David I'd stop listening to Sutton's morbid insistence that the camera is a lemon and should be replaced. :rolleyes:
Why would Dave keep that A119 if he has had one problem after another. Would not a true chat friend tell him to send it back while it's within the 30 days to return. A cam with defects are common with low end prices...... I advised Dave the same as I would my brother. Send that sucker back while u can. If u want a dash cam that is similar stealthy shape Dave should think about the Street Guardian which is trouble free.

If I was David I'd stop listening to Sutton's morbid insistence that the camera is a lemon and should be replaced. :rolleyes:
It figures who would send u a "like"

What benefit switching to 50hz? Not with you?
Is it for playback, recording under street lights... what?
It should reduce the flickering when recording under indoor lights and possibly street lights that flicker at mains frequency. I've never noticed much difference when used as a dashcam except in some car parks that use fluorescent lighting. It affects the recording, not the playback.

I normally leave mine on 60 since the video is recorded at 30 or 60 frames per second anyway, so having the sensor work at 50 would spoil the smoothness of the video, although I'm not sure how the 50 setting actually works?

Hmmm... I'd just assumed that, as with TVs, the higher Hz the better. But that's playback as you say.
Not recorded under any street lighting as yet so I'll leave it at 60 and see what it looks like when I have.

In reality, I've only really had the buzzybutton issue. The others are perhaps just down to my own ignorance of microSD cards, and refresh rates.

I'll keep going for a few more days, get some night footage to check that's OK, then if I'm still not happy I can send it back.

Whats new with the new firmware you updated at?

Hmmm... I'd just assumed that, as with TVs, the higher Hz the better. But that's playback as you say.
Not recorded under any street lighting as yet so I'll leave it at 60 and see what it looks like when I have.

In reality, I've only really had the buzzybutton issue. The others are perhaps just down to my own ignorance of microSD cards, and refresh rates.

I'll keep going for a few more days, get some night footage to check that's OK, then if I'm still not happy I can send it back.
YESSSSSSSSSS Don't get me wrong I own an A119 and I love it, it works problem free. I did have one before with a problem and I returned it and bought it again. The new one works flawlessly perfect. Look it can happen with assembly produced items. Its just that the odd time with any product one may not be up to par.

Hmmm... I'd just assumed that, as with TVs, the higher Hz the better.
Those Hz have nothing to do with these 50/60Hz. The 100Hz, 200Hz, 400Hz you see advertised on TVs is the screen's refreshing rate and has nothing to do with the mains frequency.

Reactions: Mtz
what about a tiny dab of clear rubber cement between the buttons, to sort of anchor them to the body of the camera, but still allow them to be pressed as necessary?

Just to recap for Viofo :) - test also on off-road modified cars and on sport cars!!!!!!!

I will use a black ducktape over the buttons and test also if the sound goes away. thank you DavidUK!!!
well, i was one of the testers, and it got tested in my sport truck - toyota tacoma x-runner, which from the factory has lowered suspension, much harder springs/shocks, thicker anti-sway bars, and 18x8 wheels with 255/45/18 tires. my wife hated riding in it because it was so stiff and loud - almost no noise insulation, and wide tires pick up a lot more road noise. i didn't have any buzzing issues with mine.

also someone pointed out that the caps aren't glued in place in my photos. keep in mind that those photos were a PRE-PRODUCTION (aka BETA) version, and they may indeed add a spot of hot glue to them now. i haven't cracked open my production version to find out. if i find some time, i may open up the final one and take a look, but i doubt i'll have any time for that real soon.

Weight mate, weight... your car is a tank while mine (*modified Duster) and the Porche have 1400kg. The vibrations on our end are much more strong.
As for FW - it seems I have those options form Factory

Off topic - let me attach some tips for your offroader isolation. Nigrin 9 Spray "Hard/Rocks Antifon" and some 3M rubber bands

Attachments

• 20160909_144859.jpg
    20160909_144859.jpg
    499.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20161018_132845.jpg
    20161018_132845.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I think it's unrealistic to expect a dashcam manufacturer to have each of their products, with various options (eg GPS mount / no gps), tested in even 10 or more different cars.

You could line up 10 A119s in David's car and not get vibration issues in any of them. On another day maybe 2 have issues.

As @Sutton said, production line items sometimes have slight variations, especially if there's a person involved along the way. Missing a single dab of glue could make a difference.

I think it's unrealistic to expect a dashcam manufacturer to have each of their products, with various options (eg GPS mount / no gps), tested in even 10 or more different cars.

You could line up 10 A119s in David's car and not get vibration issues in any of them. On another day maybe 2 have issues.

As @Sutton said, production line items sometimes have slight variations, especially if there's a person involved along the way. Missing a single dab of glue could make a difference.
Thank you Thank you for backing me up. One poster said I was morbid insisting David to return it.:)

Back