After all my doubts I bought one!... DavidUK's A119 odyssey

Taking up your suggestions, I have some clear UHU glue - the kind that peels off hard surfaces - and with a needle I have dropped a tiny bead of glue on the centre of the bottom slot under each of the lower three buttons with the hope that some will seep in a little way to anchor the buttons to the front panel while the excess can be picked off the surface, hopefully without pulling the rest out of the slot. If it works, and I get any other issues, I can hopefully pick the glue out with the needle again to return to its original condition.

Drying overnight, then will see what it's like.

Taking up your suggestions, I have some clear UHU glue - the kind that peels off hard surfaces - and with a needle I have dropped a tiny bead of glue on the centre of the bottom slot under each of the lower three buttons with the hope that some will seep in a little way to anchor the buttons to the front panel while the excess can be picked off the surface, hopefully without pulling the rest out of the slot. If it works, and I get any other issues, I can hopefully pick the glue out with the needle again to return to its original condition.

Drying overnight, then will see what it's like.
LOL I give up.

Reactions: Mtz
You could line up 10 A119s in David's car and not get vibration issues in any of them. On another day maybe 2 have issues.
I bet they would all do the same thing. The problem isn't in the camera per se, it's in what that Porsche (or even all Porsches) has that specifically creates a vibration in a frequency that causes the buttons to rattle. There might be other cars out there that do the same, even though they may be just a minority.

Weight mate, weight... your car is a tank while mine (*modified Duster) and the Porche have 1400kg. The vibrations on our end are much more strong.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2005/Toyota/Tacoma-V6/X-Runner-Access-Cab-2WD/Specs

That's about 1600kg. Not that much worse. Because the bed is fiberglass composite instead of steel it helps keep the weight down. Suspension is so stiff that in dashcam videos, you don't really see the truck nosedive at all even under hard braking.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2005/Toyota/Tacoma-V6/X-Runner-Access-Cab-2WD/Specs

That's about 1600kg. Not that much worse. Because the bed is fiberglass composite instead of steel it helps keep the weight down. Suspension is so stiff that in dashcam videos, you don't really see the truck nosedive at all even under hard braking.
It is not stiff suspension or weight that affects the frequencies that cause buttons to vibrate as they will go through the springs and dampers whatever hardness they are.

The noise is generated by the tyres so a different make/tread pattern/profile would probably sort it.

It should be prevented from getting into the chassis/bodywork by the suspension bushes, you probably have soft rubber ones on your truck which filter most of it out while the Porsche will have hard polyurethane ones which don't filter some frequencies.

Then the stiffness of the chassis will have an effect on how much reaches the windshield and I imagine the Porsche has a far more rigid chassis/body than your truck, also less distance for the noise to travel.

The Porsche is likely to have the same issue with other makes and models of dashcam, if it can easily be sorted with a blob of soft glue/silicone sealant/grease then that is the best solution.

Last edited:
OK, so the little dot of glue has worked. I have scraped the tiny amount of surplus off the front of the buttons/facia and this has left a tiny bit of glue in the crevice inbetween. Buttons still work freely but don't rattle to the touch. The buzzing has gone from the clips taken yesterday.

And here is my first night clip from yesterday...

Once again, Youtube quality is nowhere near what I see from the original which is very, very, clear and sharp. Wish I knew how to improve the quality. Maybe another video host?

Wish I knew how to improve the quality. Maybe another video host?
Cleaning the glass with something that doesn't leave a deposit on the surface would help, the lights shouldn't have the halos and starburst lines if the windscreen and lens are perfectly clean, that will also improve the daylight image a little.

As for video hosts, any that keep the full quality will be so slow to download that nobody will bother, easiest to just stick with YouTube, half the viewers watch on their phones anyway!

Strangely, I've just washed the car and used the old newspaper and vinegar trick to clean the screen, inside and out. I found micro fibre cloths leave tiny deposits.

Get a glass specific cloth (that doesn't lint) and stay away from cleaning sprays that contain ammonia, you'll have a clear and sparkling windscreen.

Can anyone recommend a good window cleaning spray that I can buy at Walmart. Or in Canada at Canadian Tire.

I think pure alcohol is the best, but need confirmation. And for lens @Nigel wrote about some Lenspen charcoal lens cleaner.

enjoy,
Mtz

I think pure alcohol is the best, but need confirmation. And for lens @Nigel wrote about some Lenspen charcoal lens cleaner.

enjoy,
Mtz
Are you sure because people posted that anything that contains alcohol should be avoided

The advice was abut ammonia. About my advice I wrote it needs confirmation, but I used this method with great results in ancient times when in my countries the stores were empty.

enjoy,
Mtz

Second the InvisibleGlass.

I found technique makes a difference on how well any cleaner works. What I do is a 2-step process. First clean the glass with a wet heavily textured cloth (terry cloth rag from an old towel works fine for this) to get the major 'crud' off (even on the inside) then follow that up with your glass cleaner of choice using a soft cotton rag and dry with a second soft cotton.

The advice was abut ammonia. About my advice I wrote it needs confirmation, but I used this method with great results in ancient times when in my countries the stores were empty.

enjoy,
Mtz

enjoy,
Mtz
you are right it was ammonia and not alcohol. I just realized that I had used Purell hand cleaner to clean the adhesive tape off my windshield and it worked in seconds to take away the black residue.

enjoy,
Mtz
Yes, a Lenspen is good for the lens, the "charcoal" absorbs the fingerprints and they just disappear.

For the glass, when I try alcohol it does dissolve the dirt but then seems to leave something behind, probably the dirt that I'm trying to remove.

A drop of washing up liquid (from the kitchen) in water works well to remove the dirt, gets the glass clean enough to eat from! Then I finish with a drop of vinegar in water, the vinegar prevents minerals in the water from leaving marks as the water dries, drying it well with a towel also helps.

If your glass is a few years old and covered in scratches from the wipers then a good polish on the outside with a good paint cutting compound like Meguires Ultimate Compound can make the glass look nearly new again (be gentle if you use a polishing machine).

Honestly, try newspaper. Scrunched up with vinegar, 50/50 isopropyl alcohol & water, or your favourite glass cleaner.
I tend to use Autoglym "Fast Glass" but without the right cloth any cleaner won't work well.
The micro fibre cloth I was using today was from Wilko, and left lint. Now binned!
In the kitchen we use E-cloths. The fine blue one is great for glass.

Reactions: Mtz
Back