After all my doubts I bought one!... DavidUK's A119 odyssey

Yes, that's what I'm saying about the lower clip - it still has buzzing.

I just re-watched the top one, and at around 2:30 onwards there is some vibration noise over the poor road surface at that point. This may or may not be the same buzzing noise. The road roar is more noticeable than the vibration noises so it's difficult to tell. I'm not that concerned as I didn't notice it the first time I watched this clip whereas in my 2nd run clip it was very noticeable. And that was over a very smooth road surface.
The bottom one has a more "sharper" or "higher" buzzing compared to the top one, kind of electrical as M79L suggested. Top one has less noise in the beginning and sounds maybe more "plasticky" vibration, like you suggested. So not exactly the same noise in them, but there is still some in both of them.

But as you said, unless you're going to religiously relive your driving moments every evening, those noises should not matter. And they should not matter in an accident either as they are not blocking any other sounds. Probably more hassle to start a replacement process, than just to live with it that 1 time when you catch some action. And even then, you probably should delete the sound track before uploading it to Youtube (unless it's an aircraft crash landing in front of you, then the sounds would be okay). ;)

(Off to install my A119, let's see if mine has any extra noises :)).

As a further test of your low profile tyre theory, I'm going to fit the A119 temporarily to my son's X6 to see if the buzzing happens again...

View attachment 26995

;)
It will be interesting to hear the result, the tyres probably give a terrible ride but maybe the dampers are better than the Porsche ones as they are non-adjustable, although I don't think BMW fit decent dampers to their cars these days, they are all mass produced to be cheap rather than good.

Still thinking on whether to return it, or just live with it. After all, I'm not going to be watching these clips every evening (well, let hope not for much longer!) and a little background noise will be the least of my problems if I have to use a clip for what it's ultimately designed for.

I've little doubt a replacement would show the same issue once again. Why wouldn't it?
Yes, they should all be the same, and it's quite likely a different make will have the same issue - my NanoQ has been having the same issue on some road surfaces. It will be car related and something not found under testing on other cars.

Looking at Gibson99's internal pictures (http://www.gibson99.com/reviews/dashcam/viofoa119b60dashcampre-productionbetaunitphotos ), it doesn't look that easy to get to the inside of the buttons, instead you could try squeezing a little silicon grease into the gaps around the buttons from the outside (the sort intended for protecting electrical contacts), should stop them rattling.

Just to recap for Viofo :) - test also on off-road modified cars and on sport cars!!!!!!!

I will use a black ducktape over the buttons and test also if the sound goes away. thank you DavidUK!!!

@Nigel - you mean you weren't joking in your previous post!? :eek:

I was, in my reply. :oops:

That BMW was snapped on a recent trip to Florida. As was this Camaro...

Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 16.53.01.png

View attachment 26997
:eek: The BMW was not a photoshop?

I thought it was impossible to buy a colour BMW these days, I had come to the conclusion that they are all monochrome to save on the license fee!

:mad:
Try at 2:40 on in the 2nd.
David... ur putting the entire dash cam talk in a tizzy with ur problem lol. Never saw them so nervous before.

@Nigel - no, it was outside the Mall at Millenia. I did a double take too!

@Sutton - it's just a small buzzy-button issue. Otherwise the video quality is far better than I'd seen on Youtube, but then I'd seen Techmoan pointing this out a few times so I hoped it would be as good as it is. Who's in a tizzy?

@Nigel - no, it was outside the Mall at Millenia. I did a double take too!

@Sutton - it's just a small buzzy-button issue. Otherwise the video quality is far better than I'd seen on Youtube, but then I'd seen Techmoan pointing this out a few times so I hoped it would be as good as it is. Who's in a tizzy?
The gentlemen that hang out here, But I'm sure we all enjoy "YOUR" posts. :)

The gentlemen that hang out here, But I'm sure we all enjoy "YOUR" posts. :)
If you notice I am getting out of the habit of spelling your from ur cuz it is a lazy way to articulate. Opps I said cuz

Last edited:
U always have lots of anger and attitude. U should take a deep breath and try as best as u can to relax. ;)

Last edited:
U always have a lots of anger and attitude. U should take a deep breath and try as best as u can to relax. ;)

View attachment 26997
Dave so what are you going to do? Are you keeping the A119 or did you return it yet?

The funny part from me in this odyssey is because I keep my dashcam with Audio = Off.

enjoy,
Mtz

Some other issues tonight. Card went from my Mac back into the cam and went through usual formatting process, then some recording, but when back in my Mac it hadn't deleted the previous files and didn't record any new ones?

Card in computer, completely blank - no DCIM folder. Reset cam, formatted card in cam, and now recording and DCIM back again, but recorded video is flickering with indoor lighting footage (testing). Could it be clash of refresh rate under indoor lighting? Clutching at straws.

Will check daylight filming tomorrow and report back. Both things a little odd.

Some other issues tonight. Card went from my Mac back into the cam and went through usual formatting process, then some recording, but when back in my Mac it hadn't deleted the previous files and didn't record any new ones?

Card in computer, completely blank - no DCIM folder. Reset cam, formatted card in cam, and now recording and DCIM back again, but recorded video is flickering with indoor lighting footage (testing). Could it be clash of refresh rate under indoor lighting? Clutching at straws.

LOL Dave are u still fiddling about with that lemon. Its really an odyssey When u change that dash cam it will get boring here

Last edited:

Flickering - Yes, it will be the lighting, have you set it to 50Hz? Or maybe you have LED lighting which doesn't work at 50Hz anyway?

Missing files - use a PC, those Mac things don't handle files well, the files were probably there even though your Mac didn't show them!

So the right setting is 60 Hz?

I always prefer not to remove the card but the camera and read the card from the camera.

OK, so flickering has gone in the daylight. That's fine, it's the indoor lighting "clash" which caused it. I'm on 60hz.
(Also noticed I have WDR switched off, so that's on now).

And I think it may have been me not knowing how to mount/unmount the microSD that's caused the other issue of files - I was leaving the SD adapter in the Mac and just removing the micro SD from it. But doing that, the Mac doesn't register it going in or out. However, that wouldn't explain why it didn't format and remove the previous day's clips when I went through the format process in the cam? The hard reset of the cam yesterday, followed by a card format solved that, and it's working as normal today, removing the previous data when formatted in the cam. All is good, bar the buzzybuttons...

@Sutton - I'm already becoming fond of it like a poorly baby. Should I give up on the poor little soul and send it back? Or should I nurture it and help it overcome its problems as it struggles through its life. A life that's just begun... :(

Back