Akenori NX01 - New Wedge Shaped Camera

Yeah i am starting to think you are right niko, but i think it may only be up/down adjustable, side to side got to be minimal.

I know what you where thinking, probably of the "clip"on the front. There are also sort of "clips" on the sides as well.
It looks like mounting will consist of housing frame which sticks to windshield, the black surrounding frame we see on 2nd picture. However I think mount-dismount will be via just sliding in-out from windshield mount frame.

akenori nz01a.jpg

Thats what i think too, but lucky for me i like the narrow lenses if paired with a wide angle lens too.

Thats what i have come to think too niko, you slide in the camera towards the front and then 2 spring loaded balls will click into those 2 holes fixing the camera in place.

That lens would need to have a very narrow angle of view to have the ability to adjust more than a few degrees.

how narrow is angle we can see from side by side via vs GoPro below.

Of course big pros of narrow lens is to bring front moving vehicle nubmerplates closer (which is in the same lane) , however cons is it can not capture nearby side cars.

Thats what i have come to think too niko, you slide in the camera towards the front and then 2 spring loaded balls will click into those 2 holes fixing the camera in place.

I think we did "half" of this dascham overview already here without having it in hand and with no info from official website ?! ;)

well all together we do have quite a bit of dashcam knowledge amassed in here :)

I don't like that lower picture of the camera as it look as if its installed on a sunroof, i always endeavor to keep up and down right in photos i take myself.
And creative photographers tilting their camera 30 - 45 degrees output pictures that frustrate the living hell out of me, even if the subject in the photo is a good looking more or less naked girl.

how narrow is angle we can see from side by side via vs GoPro below.

Of course big pros of narrow lens is to bring front moving vehicle nubmerplates closer (which is in the same lane) , however cons is it can not capture nearby side cars.

One drawback with narrow (more telephoto) lenses is that they will be more prone to vibrations showing up in the video on bumpy roads. It would be similar to looking through a telescope or powerful binoculars held in the hand. Because I live on a bumpy dirt road this even happens with wide lenses, so it's something I always test with different cameras.

I remember some discussions we had some time ago @niko about using two cameras at the same time with different FOV lenses. I've spent the last month or so beta testing firmware on the Mobius 2 mounted right next to my SG9665GC so it's got me thinking about doing that all over again, maybe with a Mobius 1 using the "A" lens.

I think its all depends on the angle of windshield you will be mounting it.
It looks like demo video was shot from vehicle with low windshield angle, hence the aim of lens is in the sky.

That is a good point. It also again raises some of the same questions regarding how much leeway you have in aiming this camera.

@niko @Dashmellow @kamkar1 @Yooshaw

Hello, I represent Akenori sales and marketing and would like to thank you for your interest and detailed discussion regarding our camera.
If you are interested in more detailed review I am happy to arrange and ship you guys a sample for testing.

May also ask for an advice?

You mentioned that Li-Pol battery is not a good thing. But what is the alternative? Super capacitor can support only few seconds of video after power cut-off. And we believe that it is important to record at least several minutes after the accident. Currently we support up to 7 minutes.

What are your suggestions? To keep the battery and 7 minutes power free recording or change it to capacitor for “saving” last minutes before power cut-off?

Thanks a lot for your support in advance!!

@niko @Dashmellow @kamkar1 @Yooshaw

Hello, I represent Akenori sales and marketing and would like to thank you for your interest and detailed discussion regarding our camera.
If you are interested in more detailed review I am happy to arrange and ship you guys a sample for testing.

May also ask for an advice?

You mentioned that Li-Pol battery is not a good thing. But what is the alternative? Super capacitor can support only few seconds of video after power cut-off. And we believe that it is important to record at least several minutes after the accident. Currently we support up to 7 minutes.

What are your suggestions? To keep the battery and 7 minutes power free recording or change it to capacitor for “saving” last minutes before power cut-off?

Thanks a lot for your support in advance!!
Hello Daniel,

There are pros and cons to batteries (Li-Po ?) being used in dashcams. Hard to explain in few words.

If you are interested in reviewers you may post your request and read about rulrs in "Reviewers thread"

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/dash-cam-reviews.186/

Thanks a lot, @niko !
We are also currently looking for distributors. Is there any chance we can discuss this opportunity?
You may contact any forum meber via PM / personal message ("start conversation" option).

Just a thought. Is it possible to have no capacitor in the unit but to instead power via small, rechargeable battery pack (or even pack of supercapacitors?) somewhere inline with the power cord?
Perhaps 1.5m power cord which can plug into battery pack which, in turn, has a USB socket so the cam can take power from this?

It does look like that, I agree but it is odd that they don't say. If it is adjustable, the question would be how much adjustment is available without getting the baffle in the FOV?

Ideally the adjustment in any direction should be just short of the baffle coming into view.

Interesting design indeed, little skeptical about the mount working for all windshields. If this does eliminate reflections as the design intention suggests, it'll be a game changer in respect to dash cam design going forward.

Last edited:
Just a thought. Is it possible to have no capacitor in the unit but to instead power via small, rechargeable battery pack (or even pack of supercapacitors?) somewhere inline with the power cord?
Perhaps 1.5m power cord which can plug into battery pack which, in turn, has a USB socket so the cam can take power from this?
Seems to me that the ability to save the last file would be compromised as there is no power in the camera to perform the save function once the camera detected no incoming power.

I find it interesting that you're offering a 10% discount to people who reserve now on your website... but no price :D
10% discount of what? How much does this thing cost?

@tooshy
Good question! )) I represent Akenori and can comment on this. We still negotiating street price with channel partners and cannot officially announce it.
Most probably it will be available in a range of USD160 - USD190.
For forum members I am ready now to offer this piece of cutting edge technology for just USD 130 ). You can send me PM or put a comment if you would like to book Akenori NX01 for this price.
We plan to start shipping in November

Last edited:
Seems to me that the ability to save the last file would be compromised as there is no power in the camera to perform the save function once the camera detected no incoming power.
A remote battery pack wouldn't make operation any different. house the battery or capacitor internally or externally, it operates the same, except that an external battery/capacitor could be so much bigger & so potentially offer so much more

I cannot help wonder how much smaller my Mobius could be if the battery could be mounted remotely?

A remote battery pack wouldn't make operation any different. house the battery or capacitor internally or externally, it operates the same, except that an external battery/capacitor could be so much bigger & so potentially offer so much more...
The point I was trying to make was by externalizing the (current) internal power source the camera would not be able to determine when the primary (vehicle supplied) power stopped and to utilize the secondary (battery/capacitor) to start the shut down process.

In order for the external secondary power source to function the same as the internal it would have to have a separate line into the camera so the loss of primary power would be able to be detected.

It occurs to me that another issue with this camera is that on some cars it might not be in the area that is covered by the windshield wipers. I would want to mount this camera as high on the windshield as possible so that it looks OEM.
Remember, in the UK it is illegal to have any obstruction more than 4cm into the area the wipers sweep, so any device must be mounted high.
I think this is current rule: http://suction-mounted-car-cameras.blogspot.co.uk

Like the look of this one, but where would I mount it!?...

Porsche 981...
20160908_104711.jpg

BMW X1...
20160908_102926.jpg

Unlike the A119 with its lens poking out of the bottom of the unit, the Akenori has its lens mounted high inside the body...

Screen Shot 2016-10-10 at 11.19.41.png

...so most of the casing will: a) be too low to be legal in the UK; b) be visible from outside; and c) in the X1's case, be low inside meaning its cable has a way to go up to the top of the windscreen, and also interfere with driver's view in countries where this is NOT illegal.

For these reasons, I cannot consider this cam.

Back