Akenori NX01 - New Wedge Shaped Camera

With all the crap ppl have on their windscreen here, and not least get away with as seen in local cop programs on TV i would not be too bothered.
Last summer i saw a car here in town, on its windscreen from just below the rear view mirror i saw:
1 larger NAV unit estimated 6" screen
1 even larger tablet estimated 7-8" screen
And lowest in the stack a smartphone estimated 5" screen
This was in the daytime and all 3 things was running with the screen on.

My car have a sweet design for that optimal dashcam area so i could hang 2 of these up there and i would hardly be able to see them for the rear view mirror.
And i can have my 7" tablet on top of my dashbord and have 0 % of my windscreen blocked by it :cool:

slider-pic-02.jpg
I really like the design, but as it stands, the 'lens hood' doesn't do everything it should. It will be even more likely to be lit by direct sun than the dashboard, and it is guaranteed to be reflected off the glass. It may be an out of focus, plain reflection but it will still reduce contrast and burn out any dark areas of the scene. I don't think the dimpled texture will work well enough for reducing shine - it certainly doesn't in this photo.
The surfaces inside the hood should be matt black.
At least it would be easy to apply some felt fabric.

@DavidUK The devce is 7 cm "tall", so could be mounted very close to the law waterline - from 4,3 cm inside wipers area.

I really like the design, but as it stands, the 'lens hood' doesn't do everything it should. It will be even more likely to be lit by direct sun than the dashboard, and it is guaranteed to be reflected off the glass. It may be an out of focus, plain reflection but it will still reduce contrast and burn out any dark areas of the scene. I don't think the dimpled texture will work well enough for reducing shine - it certainly doesn't in this photo.
The surfaces inside the hood should be matt black.
At least it would be easy to apply some felt fabric.
Thanks for your opinion @Rajagra. This relly makes sense.

@Daniel K - the wiper sweeps up into the dots on the right (driver's) side of the BMW screen so it's a no go there. See left of photo below...

But as this cam doesn't have a screen it could be fitted next to and overlapping the left (passenger) side dots, at the top of the screen. Here's the exterior shot. Passenger side now on the right of the photo. You can see the space to the right of the photo, to the right of the dots, where it could fit. As this screen is so tall it won't affect the passenger's view out. Have still to check the sun visor travel.

Actually, this photo shows me that the A119 would also be no good below the dots either side of the mirror as, even with the lens at the bottom of the A119, it would protrude more than 4cm into the swept area. It too could only go to the left (right in the photo below) of the passenger's dots.

With either cam, this would make hitting the "save" more awkward too.

Screen Shot 2016-10-10 at 18.54.59.png

@Daniel K - the wiper sweeps up into the dots on the right (driver's) side of the BMW screen so it's a no go there. See left of photo below...

But as this cam doesn't have a screen it could be fitted next to and overlapping the left (passenger) side dots, at the top of the screen. Here's the exterior shot. Passenger side now on the right of the photo. You can see the space to the right of the photo, to the right of the dots, where it could fit. As this screen is so tall it won't affect the passenger's view out. Have still to check the sun visor travel.

Actually, this photo shows me that the A119 would also be no good below the dots either side of the mirror as, even with the lens at the bottom of the A119, it would protrude more than 4cm into the swept area. It too could only go to the left (right in the photo below) of the passenger's dots.

With either cam, this would make hitting the "save" more awkward too.

View attachment 26696

I wonder by the way, what is the FOV of this BMW camera. Seem to be very narrow...

lol... that's the rain sensor and crash warning sensor/camera (whatever it is!). Not a traffic cam as such.

Yeah it is a camera in that BMW but its focused on the windscreen right in front of it, so even if you could retrieve its footage i think it would be bad.

Personally i think rain sensors is BS, at least as long as its humans that do the driving, cuz if you cant detect its raining and you cant see out of your windscreen, then you should not be driving at all.

How can is detect a crash ahead if focused on the windscreen?

The integrated camera in the BMW is for stuff like LDWS, high beam assist and night vision. It's not a dash cam.

Good question, but i dont think that camera is for crash protection, there i would rely on radar instead, just like the parking assist systems.

If i win the lotto i do hops that stuff is possible to disable, otherwise i can not buy a new car for track days or the street.
I am having a hard time to live with ABS brakes, so if the car start to do more things then i will have to pass and buy a vintage car instead.

Yes, it is a crash protection system. If the car senses and impending front collision a warning goes off on the dash. I believe it intervenes with braking too, but we've not found this out so far (thankfully!).

Screen Shot 2016-10-12 at 22.59.24.png Screen Shot 2016-10-12 at 22.59.55.png

@Daniel K I like the look of this camera. Can you please clarify a few questions:
1. How is the camera fixed to the screen? Is it VHB or some other adhesive?
2. Is there a recommended max/min windscreen slope angle?
3. Does the app have live view to assist in aiming the camera?
4. Your website mentions a speed camera database. Does this mean warning of cameras / excess speed? If so, in which countries?
5. Can the camera be configured in 'discreet' mode with no audible beeps or announcements?

@Daniel K I like the look of this camera. Can you please clarify a few questions:
1. How is the camera fixed to the screen? Is it VHB or some other adhesive?
2. Is there a recommended max/min windscreen slope angle?
3. Does the app have live view to assist in aiming the camera?
4. Your website mentions a speed camera database. Does this mean warning of cameras / excess speed? If so, in which countries?
5. Can the camera be configured in 'discreet' mode with no audible beeps or announcements?

Hello Tony, thanks a lot for your interest and questions.

Happy to answer:

1/ Cameras holder fixed with 3M VHB.
2/For the slope angle I may need to pool exact data from our engineers, but I can say that the problems of aiming too high could be on a sports cars with the windscreen slope angle less than 25 degrees.
3/ Does the app have live view to assist in aiming the camera? – Definitely YES
4/ We use speedcam database form this resource http://www.scdb.info/en/ and they have global coverage.
5/ Can the camera be configured in 'discreet' mode with no audible beeps or announcements? - Definitely YES

Nice with global speed cam coverage, i assume you can save new cameras and that way add to the database.
Only bad thing for us Danes is here its mostly mobil speedtraps, but they do tend to use the same spots over and over, so you sould enter those just to be on the safe side.
Looking forward to see footage from this and some user feedback on install and pics of the thing on their windscreens.

@Daniel K Thanks for answering my questions. I have a few more:
1. The website specs suggest SD card rather than micro sd, is this correct?
2. Are there any future plans to support a polarising filter? Looks like it would be difficult to secure a filter to the camera. However there are some very inventive and resourceful members here who may come up with a CPL solution.
3. When the NX01 was announced at CeBIT2016 it listed LDWS and FCWS amongst its features. Have these been dropped for the finished product?

Last edited:
@Daniel K Thanks for answering my questions. I have a few more:
1. The website specs suggest SD card rather than micro sd, is this correct?
2. Are there any future plans to support a polarising filter? Looks like it would be difficult to secure a filter to the camera. However there are some very inventive and resourceful members here who may come up with a CPL solution.
3. When the NX01 was announced at CeBIT2016 it listed LDWS and FCWS amongst its features. Have these been dropped for the finished product?

Hi Tony, thank you for your questions!

Sure, it should be Micro SD. But SD adaptor is included in the package.
For CPL we have considered this but did not find a solution when we can use all "pros" of the solution and eliminate "cons"

For LDWS and FCWS - we run lot's of researches and came to a conclusion that it is almost impossible to reach acceptable quality level on stand alone Dash cameras with current technologies. Build-in cameras are fixed in a specific place in the car which gives an opportunity to apply correct settimgs one time for all cameras. With stand alone - each installation requires unique settings - and this is very complicated.
All LDWS and FCWS options on current stand alone dash cameras on the market have up to 50% -80% false positives, which is not acceptabe by our oppinion.

LDWS and FCWS and whatnot is all good, for when car will drive them self.
As it is now its much better if drivers just pay attention to what they are doing and comply with the rules of traffic in their country.

After all people have been driving without alarms going off every 30 seconds for decades, and it is only when people disregard rules and common sense people get hurt.
If there is anything smart to put in a dashcamera it should be a mobilephone jammer, that would make driving so much safer for the people that cant put down that damn thing, and the other people in traffic around those people.

Review very soon ...))
Akenori_nx1_1.jpg
Akenori_nx1_2.jpg

Very nice. Mobius A is really bad at night comparatively.

Back