All external GPS antennas are the same?

Mtz

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro TeleQuad (the best dashcam in the world!)
For example the external antenna module for my dashcam is expensive.
Or I forget to order it and the cost and shipping is too much.
Can I use another antenna even if I need to change the connector of the original antenna to fit my dashcam connector?

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
For example the external antenna module for my dashcam is expensive.
Or I forget to order it and the cost and shipping is too much.
Can I use another antenna even if I need to change the connector of the original antenna to fit my dashcam connector?

enjoy,
Mtz

I don't believe they are all the same no, are they interchangeable though, maybe

Yes, of course, will not look the same, but I don't know what type of antennas are used by dashcams because I understand that are passive antennas or active antennas.
Dashcams are using external passive or active? I expect the passive to have only two connections (antenna and ground) and active to have more connections, at least one used to power the antenna.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
Yes, of course, will not look the same, but I don't know what type of antennas are used by dashcams because I understand that are passive antennas or active antennas.
Dashcams are using external passive or active? I expect the passive to have only two connections (antenna and ground) and active to have more connections, at least one used to power the antenna.

enjoy,
Mtz

many that use external GPS use something similar to this type http://www.thecapn.com/downloads/files/ ... _guide.pdf referred to in the industry as G Mouse

Last edited by a moderator:
So there is more than just an antenna.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
So there is more than just an antenna.

enjoy,
Mtz

depends on the device, some use GPS all in one device, some have onboard GPS with external antenna, others run the G Mouse type where it is GPS chipset and antenna together

I have one model with external GPS and the GPS performance is very good, very fast lock, good signal retention and accuracy, it's not as practical though and a bit more mucking around with the installation, it's also pricey, always a trade off somewhere

Because this GPS module have 4 pins on the connector I think is the module type which is including the GPS chipset.
And the ones with 2 pins are just antennas.

enjoy,
Mtz

These GSP chips can use both active and passive antennas.
I believe all modern gps units use active antennas for good reception.
Active antenna has 2 wires and if you measure active antenna cable with voltmeter there is 3-5 volts.
New GS8000 has indipendent external GPS unit, hence the more wires than 2.
And yes to your question, antennas are the same if they are rated to 3-5 volts.

Here is image of active antenna, passive antenna is just tin foil or similar kind of metallic film on a surface.
lh3.googleusercontent.com__W_QEgOxHe9M_UN7yu_UoveI_AAAAAAAAARw_Le71EtKIsT0_s993_Image1.jpg

Back