Alternative dashcams of Viofo A119S having Parking Mode

H.Johnson

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,
I have just started to used Viofo A119S and I have been really disappointed with the parking mode of it. So, now I am looking for another dashcam that should be has the following features:

• Has capacitor instead of battery,
  • Has a real parking mode feature with pre-buffered record or switch automatically between normal and loop recording,
  • Has GPS module,
  • Has a video quality (day & night) that is as much as Viofo A119S,
  • Price is not too much than Viofo A119S,
  • etc...

Could you please make any suggestion fulfilling these requirements? Regards...

Hi all,
I have just started to used Viofo A119S and I have been really disappointed with the parking mode of it. So, now I am looking for another dashcam that should be has the following features:

• Has a real parking mode feature with pre-buffered record or switch automatically between normal and loop recording,
  • Has GPS module,
  • etc...

you'll probably better off asking here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/what-should-i-buy.71/

as far as I can tell the Thinkware F50 is the closest competitor to the A119S, although its video quality isn't as good.

F50 hardware is from around the same time as the A119S though. I'm really surprised that there doesn't seem to be any new releases, from ANY manufacturer, that aim to improve on any of these models' shortcomings. This includes the similar and newer Street Guardian models, none of which has parking mode.

Viofo seems to have exited the market to focus solely on their Action cameras (Gitup brand) as they have not made any updates to any of their dashcam firmwares since August.

Are there other dash cams that do have pre-buffered video in their parking mode??
I don't use parking mode myself, I am curious though...

Ah. A particular chip set, then. Definitely a different API. But doesn't that require extra memory?

not all chipsets support it, it does have some limitations/needs, enough onboard memory to buffer the data, limits the bitrate you can have for practical reasons, space/heat

not all chipsets support it, it does have some limitations/needs, enough onboard memory to buffer the data, limits the bitrate you can have for practical reasons, space/heat
That is what I thought. I have an A119S (v2), and being a programmer, I couldn't see using the memory card to buffer. Maybe my next dash cam will be Korean...will be more expensive, tho.

That is what I thought. I have an A119S (v2), and being a programmer, I couldn't see using the memory card to buffer. Maybe my next dash cam will be Korean...will be more expensive, tho.

they don't use the memory card to buffer for obvious reasons, the prebuffer could be seen as desirable for the chance to capture that pre event detail on your motion detect parking mode captures, but the trade off is lower bitrate, lower quality video, restrictive manual save options

Goluk T3 has a non-buffered parking mode its owners seem to like. An alternative is to simply record continuously which is what I do ;) Upside is you positively won't miss anything- downsides are you may void warranties, it takes a large card, and there are no locked files to show that an event happened so if you don't see the damage in time the file you want may get over-written :rolleyes: It's a cheap way out but it works :cool:

Phil

Hi all,

• Has GPS module,
  • etc...
My suggestion is to use the A119S that you purchased for a while to look at what you have instead of leaping to the next level of parking mode for which you may not know the unintended consequences. As @SawMaster says, if you must have everything recorded, just continue normal recording...at the expense of needing a high capacity microSD card and being able to provide adequate power for the parking periods without exhausting your car battery. Or use the Parking Mode as intended accepting the constraints of no pre-buffered recording and a few seconds of gaps in recordings in exchange for increased storage space and maybe even some power savings. It is certainly cheaper and gives you the experience you need to determine what you really want in a parking mode at no cost. But you also have to look at what you may be giving up to get that besides money. There are always trade-offs to keep the price down. Of course if you have plenty of money to spend on man toys, it probably doesn't matter.

I bought the A119S because I wanted a dash cam that would adequately meet my driving needs.
It covers everything from the dash line forward and easily captures what I want to see.
It’s a perfect witness for my driving experience when I'm behind the wheel.

If my preference was to have a parking mode feature I would look for a unit that suits.
For starters I would need a system of multiple cameras to cover all 4 sides of the car.
I would expect to spend much more for a more elaborate dash cam system.

Last edited:
I bought the A119S because I wanted a dash cam that would adequately meet my driving needs.
It covers everything from the dash line forward and easily captures what I want to see.
It’s a perfect witness for my driving experience when I'm behind the wheel.

If you are lucky enough to not receive one with physical defects from the factory, and you are running firmware version 1.01 which is still the only version without bugs turning on the camera, it does its job well and reliably. If you update or are unfortunate enough to receive a newer revision which has the defective constructive you are SOL.

I attribute my good fortune in part, due to the fact I did my homework prior to installing my A119S.
This forum was extremely helpful and I used my micro sd card properly and knew the Menu Settings I would use and stuck to the script doing the install.
I really liked the quality idea of using the 6 layer glass lens and the quality of the cords, usb charger and packaging it came in..
I've only removed the dash cam once since Aug. 29th to clean. It stays put, I don't fool around with it.
I'll adjust my Time Zone and Resolution Settings twice a year and Format micro sd cards once a month.
It's used it everyday since and it'll be 5 months this coming Monday with not a single problem.
My unit is A119S, V2, 7G F1.6 Lens (uncoated with plastic base) Sony Exmor IMX291 Sensor, c/w GPS and CPL filter,
It came with Firmware A119S_170622_V1.7 and I have no reason to upgrade at this time. However, if and when an issue comes up I will upgrade the Firmware .
I'm using 2 Kingston Gold Model SDCG/32GBCR, 32GB, Micro SD HC Card, Class 10 , FAT32, UHS-I Speed Class (U3), 4K Ultra HD, withstands high and low temperatures.
I honestly believe there are many out there who are just as pleased as I am with their A119S units.

Last edited:
Been running my A199S V2 with latest 2.2 firmware for a couple of weeks now and am very happy with the purchase. Going to order a few more for other cars in the family

Been running my A199S V2 with latest 2.2 firmware for a couple of weeks now and am very happy with the purchase. Going to order a few more for other cars in the family
Good to hear, the A119S is certainly excellent value and does an excellent job.
Is yours equipped with GPS and CPL filter?
What micro cd HC card are you using?

Last edited:
Good to hear, the A119S is certainly excellent value and does an excellent job.
Is yours equipped with GPS and CPL filter?
What micro cd HC card are you using?

I'm using a Sandisk High Endurance 64 GB card and a generic CPL filter bought off of Amazon. Still running flawlessly even in cold Massachusetts.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
cqrt A119S 19
E A119S 0
Back