Android Tablet and Google apps for all camera interaction?

I would just take out the memory card and put it in the SD card slot of my old windows phone or my old cheap asus tablet.

But the OTG card reader or cable is good to have if your devise dont have a slot for a memory card.

I never tried to do settings on mobius with the text file, but i assume its just as easy as the same was on the little innovv action cameras.

Big thanks to kip, flip9 and jokiin, I've been getting the Micro port and the Micro SD port mixed up, plus a couple other things.

Everything I do relative to the Mobius camera has to come from the tablet (whatever I get). My home computer is completely out of the picture (I run Linux Ubuntu), Ubuntu will not run Android.
They were jumping the gun so to speak about working on Ubuntu being able to run Android but now they have given up!

On the OTG cables Kip, and jokiin showed me, the cables seemed to be "Brand" specific. The card reader flip9 showed also appears to be Brand specific, meaning they work only with the designated brand tablets they list.
Is this correct?
So when I come to a conclusion on what Tablet I'm getting I can order the correct OTG cable, and card reader.

Cables are not brand specific. Get any decent card reader and OTG adaptor or cable.

The physical connection to the Mobius will look like this -

otg.png

If you're using a card reader with the micro SD from the Mobius, attach it to the OTG adaptor connected to the phone instead of the USB cable that is connected to the Mobius (as above) for viewing or downloading the videos off the card.

Last edited:
The brands they list in the advert are just there as further advertising to anyone who owns a device of said brand. USB has to follow certain specifications to ensure that everything works together. So as said above, pretty much any decent OTG cable will work. Or, you can get a card reader that has both the MicroUSB plug on one side (the same as the small end of an OTG cable) designed for phone and tablet use and a standard full size USB plug on the other end (for use in computers). I have a thick case on my phone so I went with OTG cable + card reader as a card reader with two ends on it might not have fitted my phone with its case on. I didn't fancy having to rive my case off everytime I wanted to look at my SD card. The OTG cable is quite multipurpose too, I can hook up my external USB hard drive to my phone, or pretty much any other USB device I want. I connected an old Rio Carbon MP3 player to it once. The MP3 player just thought it was connected to a computer. It had a flat battery and an internal hard drive and my phone powered it up no problem.

The brands they list in the advert are just there as further advertising to anyone who owns a device of said brand. USB has to follow certain specifications to ensure that everything works together. So as said above, pretty much any decent OTG cable will work. Or, you can get a card reader that has both the MicroUSB plug on one side (the same as the small end of an OTG cable) designed for phone and tablet use and a standard full size USB plug on the other end (for use in computers). I have a thick case on my phone so I went with OTG cable + card reader as a card reader with two ends on it might not have fitted my phone with its case on. I didn't fancy having to rive my case off everytime I wanted to look at my SD card. The OTG cable is quite multipurpose too, I can hook up my external USB hard drive to my phone, or pretty much any other USB device I want. I connected an old Rio Carbon MP3 player to it once. The MP3 player just thought it was connected to a computer. It had a flat battery and an internal hard drive and my phone powered it up no problem.

Thanks Kip and Harsh, it's good to hear that I don't have to take that BS about the cable being brand specific, serious.

I've been reading about the Asus S8 2GB ram with Micro SD port and Micro USB port. It sounds OK. If you guys have the time check it out and see what you think, Amazon just reduced the price to $166.00.

Its the forerunner of those Asus 8S tablets i have, use a intel quadcore chip for running things.
Worked perfect for the mundane tasks i have thrown at it.

In relation to computers i have had a great many Asus products, and so far none of them have let me down.

It's one of the top picks for tablets currently under $200.

Its the forerunner of those Asus 8S tablets i have, use a intel quadcore chip for running things.
Worked perfect for the mundane tasks i have thrown at it.

In relation to computers i have had a great many Asus products, and so far none of them have let me down.

Hi KamKar1, yes I remember you telling me about your Asus tablet, that's what got me looking at them.
I have an Asus CD/DVD drive that has been way better then 2 Sony's that broke down, and I bought a Asus microwave last year that looks like better workmanship then any of the others I looked at, so I can say the same thing you do about them seeming to last with out problems. I have heard that their service sucks, but I've never had to use it!
That tablet I mentioned has a Micro SD port and a Micro USB port, so if I want to hook up the tablet to the Mobius I will have to get a cable with a Micro USB male connection to Mini USB male connection for the female port on the Mobius. I don't remember even seeing one like this so I'm going to Monoprice.com later today to see if they make one.
Come to think of it I've never even heard of anyone using a cable like this, going from a tablet to the camera, is this going to work OK if you happen to know?

Hehe never heard about a Asus microwave, i only know them from parts to build up a computer, for the most motherboards, but i also my current GFX card is a Asus and so is my DVD drive in the computer.
But i never knew they made kitchenware too, but then again why not, smart people dont put all their eggs in one basket.

I assume a OTG cable would work just as it do with smartphones, but i am assuming as i never owned a OTG cable or card reader.
But the tablet is just another Android devise like so many phones so it should work fine.

That tablet I mentioned has a Micro SD port and a Micro USB port, so if I want to hook up the tablet to the Mobius I will have to get a cable with a Micro USB male connection to Mini USB male connection for the female port on the Mobius. I don't remember even seeing one like this so I'm going to Monoprice.com later today to see if they make one.
Come to think of it I've never even heard of anyone using a cable like this, going from a tablet to the camera, is this going to work OK if you happen to know?

The 'micro SD port' is actually the slot where the card for the tablet is inserted, don't confuse it with Micro USB port. You could insert the micro SD card from the Mobius into the tablet's micro SD card slot directly in order to view and download videos, instead of using the OTG cable and card reader.

The only way to connect the Mobius to a tablet or smartphone is via an OTG adaptor as described and shown in my previous post. You do get micro USB (male or female) to mini USB adaptors (male or female) and vice versa but they just convert a mini USB port to a micro USB or a micro USB to a mini USB port.

Once an OTG adaptor is connected to a mini USB cable, you'll end up with a micro USB connector at one end and a mini USB one on the other. ( Exactly as what you plan on going to look for.)

If the Mobius has an included USB cable, you can plug that in to an OTG cable and then into the tablet. Like this:

Mobius -> MiniUSB male/Full USB male cable -> Full USB female/MicroUSB male OTG cable -> tablet

I could probably do the same with my JooVuu X to show more clearly what I mean if you want. I'm not at home right now though.

A regular OTG cable is the most versatile one to go for, there are adapters available to convert full size USB into pretty much anything else.

Hehe never heard about a Asus microwave, i only know them from parts to build up a computer, for the most motherboards, but i also my current GFX card is a Asus and so is my DVD drive in the computer.
But i never knew they made kitchenware too, but then again why not, smart people dont put all their eggs in one basket.

I assume a OTG cable would work just as it do with smartphones, but i am assuming as i never owned a OTG cable or card reader.
But the tablet is just another Android devise like so many phones so it should work fine.

Whoops, the microwave is a Samsung, sorry kamkar1, you're right . I think I'm going Brand dead in the head because of all the things I've looked at lately, LOL:confused::D!

The 'micro SD port' is actually the slot where the card for the tablet is inserted, don't confuse it with Micro USB port. You could insert the micro SD card from the Mobius into the tablet's micro SD card slot directly in order to view and download videos, instead of using the OTG cable and card reader.

The only way to connect the Mobius to a tablet or smartphone is via an OTG adaptor as described and shown in my previous post. You do get micro USB (male or female) to mini USB adaptors (male or female) and vice versa but they just convert a mini USB port to a micro USB or a micro USB to a mini USB port.

Once an OTG adaptor is connected to a mini USB cable, you'll end up with a micro USB connector at one end and a mini USB one on the other. ( Exactly as what you plan on going to look for.)

Hi Harsh, I understand the MicroSD vs Micro USB now but was wondering if a straight Mini USB (from camera) to Micro USB to tablet would work, you say no it has to be a OTG cable like the one you showed me.

These OTG cables must have a chip in them to convert the signals, is this correct? Meaning there is more to it then just having the right connector on each end, is this correct?

If the Mobius has an included USB cable, you can plug that in to an OTG cable and then into the tablet. Like this:

Mobius -> MiniUSB male/Full USB male cable -> Full USB female/MicroUSB male OTG cable -> tablet

I could probably do the same with my JooVuu X to show more clearly what I mean if you want. I'm not at home right now though.

A regular OTG cable is the most versatile one to go for, there are adapters available to convert full size USB into pretty much anything else.

Hi Kip, Harsh just explained the same thing above. I'll get the OTG cable. Question, is there more then one converter chip in a OTG cable?

These OTG cables must have a chip in them to convert the signals, is this correct? Meaning there is more to it then just having the right connector on each end, is this correct?

I've never taken one apart to check the physical difference but yes, they differ from just a cable with a mini USB on one end and a micro USB on the other. The communication protocols are different.

Have a look here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go

I use an OTG cable with a mini USB data cable to connect my phone to both my Mobius 1 & 2 cameras, using the android app as @harsh showed earlier.
Tried the OTG & mini USB with my sg9665gc and found that works too. No app - the GC just goes into mass storage mode so I can browse recorded files on the phone.

I looked on and off all day yesterday and couldn't find if the Asus Z580 C has OTG capability. You wouldn't believe all the things they leave out of the specifications that is of concern to buyers.
I'm going to email Asus today and see if they can answer since they make it. They probably did incorporate it but you never know.

My reason for doing this is their was a brief sentence in one review that said NO in regard to whether they had OTG support.

Last edited:
Unless Asus is disabling OTG on purpose, which I don't think they are or should, it should work 100% IMO.

Back