Anyone know a lot about computer Android Tablets?

Lola

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius, A119
While teaching me about dash cams and what I needed to get "DashMellow" came up with the idea of me (maybe him also) getting a Android Tablet for decoding/using Msetup for Mobius cameras and aligning them in ones vehicle.. My computer runs Linux Ubuntu and it won't work with Msetup.

So if anyone knows anything about a good/decent one that won't break the bank I'm interested. It will just be for dealing with my dash cams so I only need one that will last a few years hopefully.
I do know and realize that with electronics one never really knows how long any cheap electric thing will last but there are ones/things that exhibit a propensity for hanging around longer then expected when you're lucky, but that lets me out, LOLAL.:(

you don't need to buy a table android for using single msetup. In fact, you only need setting once time for dashcam using.
Optional Manual User Configuration Setting Procedure

If a GUI tool is not available for your computer or you would rather just edit the configuration text file manually, it's easy to do, just follow these stepsexactly:

1. Download the camera's configuration file to the flash card in the camera (HOLD DOWN MODE BUTTON, THEN ALSO HOLD DOWN POWER BUTTON UNTIL THE RED LED BLINKS 3 TIMES).

2. Turn the camera on, connect it to your PC, and access the camera root directory when it goes into the "removable disk mode".

3. Open the "SYSCFG.TXT" config text file with a simple (ASCII) text editor (e.g. the familiar "Notepad" text editor for Windows users). The file will look similar to this:Date time=[2013/06/28-21:33:34];date time setting,format yyyy/mm/dd hh:mm:ss

Video Mode 1 resolution=[0];Movie resolution setting,0:1080p,1:720p
Video Mode 1 Frame Rate=[2];Movie frame rate setting,1:60fps (only for 720p), 2:30fps
Video Mode 2 resolution=[1];Movie resolution setting,0:1080p,1:720p
Video Mode 2 Frame Rate=[1];Movie frame rate setting,1:60fps (only for 720p),2:30fps

Photo Mode Capture Size=[0];set photo size,0:2304x1536,1:1920x1080,2:1280x720
Set Time Lapse Shooting=[0],0:eek:ff,1:0.25s,2:0.5s,3:1s,4:2s,5:5s,6:10s,7:30s,8:60s

Movie cycle time=[2];movie cycle time,0:3 minutes,1:5 minutes,2:10 minutes,3:15 minutes,4:max to 4G byte,
Movie Loop Recording=[0];set loop recording on or off,0:eek:ff,1:eek:n,
Time stamp=[1];set date/time stamp on or off,0:eek:ff,1:eek:n,
Movie sound=[1];set movie sound,0:mute,1:eek:n,
Movie Flip=[0];set movie rotate,0:eek:ff,1:eek:n,
Movie quality=[1];set movie quality, set movie data rate,0:Super,1:Standard,2:Low,
Movie high dynamic range=[0];set movie high dynamic range,0:eek:ff,1:eek:n,

Power on=[1];set system power on time,0:delay,1:fast
Power off=[1];set system auto power off time when system pending,0:eek:ff,1:30 seconds,2:1 minutes,3:2 minutes,
Auto Record=[0];set connect or disconnect with power to start or stop video recording automatically,,0:eek:ff,1:eek:n,
LED=[1];set LED flicker when recording,0:eek:ff,1:eek:n,
Charge from USB Host=[0]; when connecting with USB host, charge camera or not,0:eek:n,1:eek:ff

TV out=[0];set Tv out,0:NTSC,1:pAL,
TV Display Ratio=[0];set display ratio,0:4*3,1:16*9

{TLCAM MOV:2013/06/25 v0.32}
{LDTLCAM,v001}Note: Values used by the camera shown bolded in the square brackets. Functions shown may vary with firmware updates, but manual editing is similar. Text in curly brackets at the bottom show the firmware and boot loader versions in the camera.4. Replace any number(s) in the square brackets with any valid alternate setting number, shown highlighted to the right of each function. For the date and time, don't delete the dash (-), slash (/), or colon :)) marks or add any spaces or invalid numbers. You can keep the camera's current date and time if you use a question mark (?) for each number, i.e. [????/??/??-??:??:??] will keep the camera's current date and time.
NOTE: Except for certain functions which cannot co-exist, invalid numbers or other characters in the square brackets has not shown to cause serious problems. The camera appears to ignore them or switch to default values.5. Save the revised file back to the memory card root directory, but do not change the file name.

6. Upload the revised configuration back into the camera. The same key-press sequence used to download the configuration from the camera will also upload it to the camera.

7. When the LED turns off, you're done! The new configuration will be in the camera and the config file will be automatically deleted from the flash card. You may check the flash card to confirm this if you wish.
sourse: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904559
or another easy way: borrow a pc from somebody you know. And made a setting in this computer. It's a once time work.

... getting a Android Tablet for decoding/using Msetup for Mobius cameras and aligning them in ones vehicle ...
mSetup is a Windows program, & won't work with an Android tablet. Should work with a cheap Windows tablet.

An Android tablet should work with the Mobius ActionCam or Mobius USB Tools Apps, via OTG cable.

cheap Windows tablets are, ummm...cheap. they can be bought for $50-60 for 7" versions. and they can double as a playback device for most HD video and will definitely handle möbius files.

You all are telling ppl who buy mobius as a dashcam has to buy another devides, and making total cost about 200$. With that cost, he can buy a premier one.
He may be too scare, to choice another dashcam. :)
@Lola or I can sent you setting file of mobius when use it as dashcam. You only need to upload to your mobius. That's all. :)

You all are telling ppl who buy mobius as a dashcam has to buy another devides, and making total cost about 200$. With that cost, he can buy a premier one.
He may be too scare, to choice another dashcam. :)
@Lola or I can sent you setting file of mobius when use it as dashcam. You only need to upload to your mobius. That's all. :)

I don't quite agree. Because @Lola uses a Linux based PC she just wants an inexpensive and convenient method to program the Mobius on her own. (And aim the camera, or view files, etc., etc.) For the extra expense of 50-100 dollars she would get the capabilities she seeks for her Mobius along with a viable tablet computer that can do quite a lot more than just control or program her camera. If all she wanted to do is change the config file manually, she could do that too right on her Ubuntu machine.

Last edited:
Almost any cheap Android tablet will work to configure a Mobius and to review files or view live video. The app is simply called Mobius ActionCam as mentioned above by @russ331 and is available at Google Play.

View attachment 26157 View attachment 26156
View attachment 26158 View attachment 26159

Well DashMellow now I'm confused. If Mobius records best in video format MOV Mobius ActionCam , I can't find a Tablet that supports the MOV format. No Android tablets I've looked at support MOV in their specifications.

I really would like a Tablet because that would allow me to go places conveniently, like court and meetings.

Last edited:
Well DashMellow now I'm confused. If Mobius records best in video format MOV Mobius ActionCam , I can't find a Tablet that supports the MOV format. No Android tablets I've looked at support MOV in their specifications.

I really would like a Tablet because that would allow me to go places conveniently, like court and meetings.

As far as I know, even if Android doesn't natively support .MOV, if the app supports files from the Mobius, they will play. Since I don't actually own an Android tablet or the MobiusActionCam app I don't actually know. Perhaps someone with hands on experience playing dash cam .MOV files on their tablet or phone can better address the question.

I can't find a Tablet that supports the MOV format. No Android tablets I've looked at support MOV in their specifications.

Androids can play any format. You just need the right app. I use MX Player and it plays anything i throw at it.

I will grab my mobius 1 on my drive shortly, and stuff the memory card in my asus tablet when i get home.

Will also try and install the mobius app, but i can not connect the 2 as i don't think its enough with a regular USB wire, and i sure as hell dont have a micro - > mini USB wire.

Assuming you need one of those OTG wires.

Aaa so this was what i have been forgetting all evening, well i will stuff my memory cards in the tablet and see what happen,,,right away.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I emailed the guy that wrote the MX Player and asked a lot of questions. I also told him what I wanted to do and if he answers I'll post the information here.

What exactly is the OTG cable flip?

Okay my old Asus tablet ( quadcore intel chp ) - ( android 5.1 ) play the files off the mobius 1 and mobius 2 memory cards just fine, even the H265 files recorded with the M2 camera.

And i have no additional players installed, unless its something asus have preinstalled and i have not been able to remove ( hate apps not installed by me )

EDIT: just looked over installed apps on my tablet and i cant see anyone that's related to playback of files.

Last edited:
I also use MX Player on my Android phone for weekly reviews of the files from my 4 dashcams. Liked it so much that I actually paid to upgrade to the Pro version.
is there any different with free version ?

is there any different with free version ?

The free version is advert-supported, & the Pro version is ad-free. Worth the price just to get rid of the ads. The pro version may (or may not) include additional features, but if it does I cannot remember their functionality.

Last edited:
Okay my old Asus tablet ( quadcore intel chp ) - ( android 5.1 ) play the files off the mobius 1 and mobius 2 memory cards just fine, even the H265 files recorded with the M2 camera.

And i have no additional players installed, unless its something asus have preinstalled and i have not been able to remove ( hate apps not installed by me )

EDIT: just looked over installed apps on my tablet and i cant see anyone that's related to playback of files.

Thanks KamKar1. What Asus Tablet do you have (Model #). It's good to know that program does what it says it will. I looked at the Samsung 7" SM-T280NZKAXAR ($119.00) https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01AZ8ERHI today but some people didn't seem to care for it. I need to look at other brands that's why I asked about your Asus.

Last edited:
Back