Another Convert to Street Guardian

Auld Reekie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been considering upgrading my current dashcam a Mini 0801 to a Street Guardian and relegate my hardwired 0801 to the rear windscreen.
I'm torn between the SGZC12RC v2 or SG9665GC v2, I'm in the UK. I notice on Amazon.co.uk there is only a difference of £10.00 between the two of them.

The main point I'm interested in is a small hard to see camera placed behind the rear view mirror, the SGZC12RC v2 seems to be the smaller of the two, video quality between the two apparently pretty negligible.

Is there any other benefits apart from small camera size in getting the SGZC12RC v2 over the SG9665GC v2 ?

I read a post somewhere that somewhere a member asking about a BDP for hard wiring, information given to him first time was wrong but later rectified in a later post, I can't remember the thread, any info on the correct BDP for a car is recommended would be appreciated. I'm capable of doing the electrics myself.

Welcome to the club.

RC lens is less wide than SG resulting in more detail in the RC video.

Both cameras offer the same Zoran CPU which supports 5-Second pre-buffer motion detection.

Edit whoops you asked about SG9665GC not SGZC12SG
GC edges out RC in video quality

I put two RC in the Mustang.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ony-exmor-imx322-wdr.8500/page-33#post-151447
I added a GC as well up there

Hardwire lit used is PANOBDP motopark split to power two RC.

Last edited:
Welcome to the club.

RC lens is less wide than SG resulting in more detail in the RC video.

Both cameras offer the same Zoran CPU which supports 5-Second pre-buffer motion detection.

GC v RC, I think you're thinking of SG v RC

Is there any other benefits apart from small camera size in getting the SGZC12RC v2 over the SG9665GC v2 ?

For normal driving / recording there are probably not much difference apart from GC has GPS logger, other than that they can be qualified as almost equal.
Biggest difference comes to when you want to use dashcam to record motion detection while car is parked. RC has 4-5 sec pre-buffer ( saves 4-5 sec before motion appears in front of your car ). GC has pause-resume motion detection recording with about 1 sec lag. Of course to use any of those dashcam while parked you need a BDP ( PANOBDP ) battery discharge protection device.
Drawback of RC is if you hide DVR unit in hard to access place, it will be hard to operate an "emergency lock" button and because microphone is built into DVR unit, so sound recording will be weak.
So there are pros and cons for both units, depending on what are you priorities.
Of course RC has one more advantage of replacing already quite small camera to even smaller one "SGRCWPC". In my opinion one of the smallest you can find at the moment. You can mount it outside or inside, front or rear., or even do some DIY like HERE.

SGRCWPC and SG9665GC installed in my car.

2016-02-03 12.42.40.jpg

2016-02-03 12.40.53.jpg

Thanks very much guys for your replies, it helps a lot. I had another couple of questions to ask before I splash the cash on Amazon but after a lot of reading and looking at other brands I've decided to go for the the SG9665GC v2 and maybe plus the BPD mentioned in a earlier post.

Reason being my car is parked on my driveway most days since I retired, motion detect ok handy in the supermarket car park but not a necessity as it is in my driveway as I'm home most days. Quality video is important. My current set up if I remember has mini usb (same as SG9665GC v2 I believe) only fires up when ignition is switched on and uses this hardwire kit plus piggyback wire >> https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/hardwire-kit-how-to-install-into-fuse-box.9839/ Can I just plug the SG9665GC v2 straight into the existing hardwire setup?

I may setup motion detect at a later date in which case I will need the BPD device mentioned in earlier post

I notice what looks like a female cigarette socket I assume the three wires go to their appropriate fuses and earth point, the Cigarette socket that comes with the camera plugs into the female BPD socket? Quite a bulk to hide away. Is there a Youtube video on wiring this BPD to fusebox?

I would have liked a better rear view cam as well but I might make do with the Mini 0801 until I have saved the pennies again. Thanks for your help guys.

0801 as a rear camera is a good choice until you save money and buy something from latest development.

In regards to hardwiring SG9665GC:
If you do not want to record while car is parked and only use it when you driving, then you don't need a BDP. If you already do have hardwired 5v miniusb powersupply, then you can use it for SG9665GC, - less extra work for you. However we do recommend to use original supplied power supply, but I do believe yours present one will do the job.

Decided to bit the bullet and purchase the SGZC12RC v2-d from Niko's online store, changed my mind from the SG9665GC, thought I'd just fit the BPD while I'm in near the fusebox.

Decided to bit the bullet and purchase the SGZC12RC v2-d from Niko's online store, changed my mind from the SG9665GC, thought I'd just fit the BPD while I'm in near the fusebox.

Thanks. Order received. Going to post tomorrow ( already "today" ) :)

Back