Another genius idea from London's road designers

Rajagra

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mini0806
I think a still from the video is enough to show this.
I often get angry at stupid, anti-motorist road layouts, but at least I can usually work out what they are trying to achieve, even if I disagree with it.

But this has left me baffled:

WTFroadlayout.jpg

There are parking bays leading up to this point. Where they end you get the dashed line you see just left of centre. Then the give way lines of the side road are put about 6 feet into the main road.

Who dreams up this ****? Are they really being paid for it?

And I just noticed: they put a parking bay opposite the side road, exactly where the Highway Code says you shouldn't park.
This must be a traffic calming thing, based on the perverse logic that making things seem dangerous slows down traffic and ultimately makes things safer.
They just haven't worked out the difference between making things SEEM dangerous, and making the danger real. Half wits.

you couldn't make up some of what our road planers do, one has to think these planers never drive in to town to be able to come up with such design layouts as they do

fixed that for you... :D
That is surprisingly common, the sort of people that get into those jobs are the same sort of people who tend not to drive!

...the sort of people that get into those jobs are the same sort of people who tend not to drive!
That's because they know full well the type of people making those decisions. :eek::(

Remember our Minister for Transport who couldn't drive, I think he was the one who reduced our national speed limit to 50 MPH :mad:

I can see some logic in that layout: parking bays are not part of the roadway, so the give way lines are actually at the edge of the traffic lane. I noticed the side street on the left is a one-way street, so what if there are cars parked all the way to the end of the parking bays and the last one is a big van? They'd be blocking the view of drivers/riders coming from the side street, that's probably why they designed it so that traffic coming from the side street could pull out that much. Off course, when there are no parked vehicles it looks a bit strange. :)

The parking bays are not close enough for that to make sense. Even if it did they should have extended the pavement. Seems to be no shortage of money for that sort of thing these days.

Note that the line is not even solid! You are allowed to drive to the left of that line. Also note there is a bus stop later on and this layout makes it hard to enter it.

This has to be about one thing only : giving motorists the middle finger. Road planners hate motorists. It's a messed up system.

Sent from my tap-to-talk using Tapatalk

Back