Any Cameras with provisions for Data Theft?

statueim

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am looking into getting my first dashcam. I have done a fair bit of reading and did a Google site search of these forums. While I found the following thread with a similar request, it was asked almost a year ago and it seems that the offerings change quite regularly for dash cams:
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/too-high-a-theft-target.186/

Essentially, what I am looking for is a dashboard camera that has some provisions to prevent thieves from stealing the data my camera collects as they will then have a complete record of my driving habits for a number of previous drives -- which could potentially lead a thief that has broken into my car back to my home along the exact route I took (with my garage door opener in hand). I want my dash cam to be permanently mounted to ensure that I never forget to hook it up or carry it around (this includes not having to remove/reinsert an SD card every time I leave/enter my vehicle) -- because the one time I forget would probably be the time I would need it.

My must haves for a dashboard camera:
1. The camera must prevent easy theft of recorded video by a thief. This may be in the form of one of the following (if there are other features on cameras to deter data theft that I am unfamiliar with, I am interested as well):
- The camera supports some form of simple encryption on the SD card or data files that serves as a first-level deterrent (in my searching, I have not yet found a camera that does this).
- The camera is separate from the DVR such that the camera could easily be stolen but the data would remain secure in a difficult-to-find lockbox hidden elsewhere in the vehicle.
- The camera is easily mounted and blended with the vehicle's interior such that it is effectively invisible and provides no easily identifiable visible cues that the camera exists (if a thief can look behind the rearview mirror in anticipation of a camera and find it easily, this is not acceptable to me if the data is stored in the camera's body)
2. The camera must have image quality that is good enough to read license plates during day light
3. The camera must have acceptable image quality at night, but reading license plates is not absolutely necessary if the data theft concerns can be met.
4. The camera is $350 or less (I would still be interested to see more expensive cameras if they meet all requirements and provide stellar image quality).

The Lukas LK-7300 seems to essentially meet my needs with regards to my must-have requirements (with #1 being satisfied by the camera being separate from the DVR), however I am curious if there are any newer offerings that I have overlooked which provide the same desired functionality while improving on qualities such as image quality or size of the camera (such that it could be even more discretely mounted).

Thank you in advance for your responses!

is it just something that happens in the movies or are you guys meant to keep your registration papers in the car at all times? I would think if you do that looking up your details would be far quicker than reviewing hours of footage to find out where you live

that said though encrypting the data is the simplest method, it's possible already you just don't see it in consumer DVR's right now

is it just something that happens in the movies or are you guys meant to keep your registration papers in the car at all times? I would think if you do that looking up your details would be far quicker than reviewing hours of footage to find out where you live

Sort of... You have to have the registration papers with you when driving. They could be anywhere. You just have to be able to produce them on demand.
Car could be registered to a company or a family member who lives somewhere else.

Dashcam will be easy to find (and grab). Reviewing footage can be done more leisurely somewhere else. Time to watch might lessen the value of tracing it back to a potentially empty house to rob.
I'd be more worried about someone tracing back to the bordello or underground poker game :)

that said though encrypting the data is the simplest method, it's possible already you just don't see it in consumer DVR's right now

Added complexity, usability issues, and customer support since the playback is usually not done on the camera. I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to add it to the Viewer with a "export unencrypted" option.

I think if someone wants to rob your house they'll come and rob your house, stealing your car and reviewing your dashcam footage to go and rob your house seems a bit overkill I would think

I think if my car was stolen with my garage door remote inside it I'd be turning off the opener until such time as I could get a new remote programmed to stop the old one working anyway

You've never heard of thieves selecting nice cars when their owners are likely to be attending a sporting event, nabbing the GPS and navigating to "home" in order to obtain items from the owner's home and cleaning up shop before the ending of the sporting event? With GPS data in the video stream, I wouldn't think it would be unheard of for a thief growing up in the era of the iPhone (general technical literacy) to quickly pull up the GPS logs that are packaged with these cameras or quickly speed through videos. I keep my registration in my locked glove box. Yes, if someone is motivated to get into my car, they could certainly work their way into my glove box as well but it's at least a first-order deterrent akin to what I would like to see on whichever dash cam I purchase.

While it may be a little far-fetched, as a manufacturer I would think it might be worthwhile to take notice of consumer's desires rather than poke fun and make concerns seem wholly illegitimate. Well-founded fears or not, if someone could give more piece of mind with their product offerings, I definitely think that it would help mainstream appeal and there is market share to be gained. If I could find a camera that supported basic encryption with decent image quality at a reasonable price, then that would certainly be the camera I would buy.

Last edited:
You've never heard of thieves selecting nice cars when their owners are likely to be attending a sporting event, nabbing the GPS and navigating to "home" in order to obtain items from the owner's home and cleaning up shop before the ending of the sporting event? .

a far more realistic scenario

While it may be a little far-fetched, as a manufacturer I would think it might be worthwhile to take notice of consumer's desires rather than poke fun and make concerns seem wholly illegitimate. Well-founded fears or not, if someone could give more piece of mind with their product offerings, I definitely think that it would help mainstream appeal and there is market share to be gained. If I could find a camera that supported basic encryption with decent image quality at a reasonable price, then that would certainly be the camera I would buy.

I am not making fun of it, you'll notice I already said data encryption was the simplest method, if you take a look here http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/guardtrak-gt2s-model-details-and-info.2844/ in the section titled What other firmware things are we working on at the moment? you'd see "Looking at having option to password protect the recordings" is already in the to-do list for the product we're releasing shortly

Last edited by a moderator:
Back