Cameras like My Tesla

johnr9q

Reaction score
Country
United States
My Tesla has 7 camera's mounted all around it. Is there a dash cam setup I can buy that would end up like that where I install a front looking cam in my windshield and in addition there are two side facing and one rear facing cameras that are permanently mounted in the sheet metal of my vehicle or something similar?

There are no such system.

If you want dashcams that film down the side like at least on some teslas, that is extremely rare / almost noner existing, and it is probably also poor 720 P resolution.
If you want side cameras that film strait out of the side of the car, and you probably need some fixed glass on one of the doors or maybe C pillar, it is also something you have to whip up, there are no camera made for this dedicated use.
Cameras that can film out the front / rear windows no problem. and some even have 1 - 2 additional cabin cameras, if you are into that which you might be if you do ride share.

As for cameras mounted outside, no dashcam really do that, but a few brands do offer a second rear camera that are waterproof and you could put way out on the back of the car.
Really you will want cameras to be on glass within wiper coverage, if on the outside they very fast get dirty and that will impact capture of small details.
Now a reversing camera dont matter as much, just need to be able to see where you go, so that's a whole other matter.

This is a video from the DIY 4 channel setup i ran until the side camera system died.

As you can see, for the side cameras you would have wanted them a bit wider angle ( mounted on fixed glass in my rear doors ) to have a bigger overlap of the footage.
Also as it is 2 different systems, there are some adjusting to get them in sync, i dident really bother much with that for this video back then.

Just use four single channel cameras, one for each direction.

Just use four single channel cameras, one for each direction.
Won't work on the outside of the car, needs to be integrated into the car itself. Afraid OP is SOL until say Tesla ups the resolution on the cameras etc.

Will have to see in the coming years whether this is a trend that car manufacturers will jump on or not.

Back