Any more news on the rear plug in camera for 512gw ultra

Believe launch was May 2017. Yep dragging on a bit but not end of the world. Who knows, there may have been development/production issues.
It's not the end of the world no, but I was looking at other 2 channel dashcams at the time and decided to stick with nextbase as a rear camera was going to be an option.

It just does not make sense to release a product that will have a product that goes with it, in this case a 2 channel dashcam with only the front camera being available at launch and still waiting for the rear camera 6 months after I purchased it.

When I could have spent the money back then on a different 2 channel camera and been covered both front and rear for the last 6 months.

Thankfully I haven't needed my front camera let alone a wear camera yet.

But after having my car hit and a driver driving off and the camera I had at the time 402G helped me track down who it was with help from the company he had just left, I don't like being covered for that eventuality.

If I hadn't had the camera them I would have had a damaged car and no way of finding out or proving it was the other driver.

Never had that kind of thing happen before but it makes you realise how important they are now.

Front and rear, yet so many people drive round without a camera still.

It's just frustrating. I'm not going to flog the camera cheap just so I can go out and buy something else.

I have had 3 different cameras from nextbase and also recommend them to a lot of people. So I want to give them the benefit of the doubt but it would be nice to be given more info rather than just delays in making sure they talk to each other.

Anyway guess it's still a waiting game for it to turn up.

Just had an email from Nextbase saying "stock issues" and they now say April until in store at Halfords.
Time to get an alternative I think

Just had an email from Nextbase saying "stock issues" and they now say April until in store at Halfords.
Time to get an alternative I think
So within 2wks it's gone from the end of January to April release..Plan B for me now.

Long time reader, first time poster so please be gentle!

I specifically signed up to the forums just so that I could reply to this thread.

Yes, I agree that it isn't the 'end of the world' with regards to the delay of releasing the rear camera for the 512GW unit, But............ I have to say that I purchased mine in mid-June 2017 AFTER speaking to a Nextbase representative who assured me that the rear cam would be released by October 2017 at the latest.

Here we are today, now being told that it's April 2018, possibly?!

I personally think that this is disgraceful on Nextbase part. I purchased this unit on the basis of a rear camera being an available option within reasonable time. Possible mis-selling even?

Pathetic imho.

Long time reader, first time poster so please be gentle!

I specifically signed up to the forums just so that I could reply to this thread.

Yes, I agree that it isn't the 'end of the world' with regards to the delay of releasing the rear camera for the 512GW unit, But............ I have to say that I purchased mine in mid-June 2017 AFTER speaking to a Nextbase representative who assured me that the rear cam would be released by October 2017 at the latest.

Here we are today, now being told that it's April 2018, possibly?!

I personally think that this is disgraceful on Nextbase part. I purchased this unit on the basis of a rear camera being an available option within reasonable time. Possible mis-selling even?

Pathetic imho.

I can only agree with all that's been said! I to bought the 512GW for the use of the rear cam. bought mine in Oct and was told by nextbase that Halfords would have the rear cam a good six weeks before any other retailer.
What a load of rubbish !! I'd aways thought Nextbase was the top name in Dashcams well they really aren't doing themselves any favours are they.
So what now? Well I don't really think I'm prepared to wait four more months so it looks like I'll be going shopping again and put the 512GW up for sale.

Not good at all. Of course there will be purchasers who don't want the rear cam but as can be seen here plenty of users do, it's reason I am considering the 512.

Let's hope April is a pessimistic date from Nextbase and it appears sooner.

I sincerely hope it is not going to be delayed until April.

I really would like to hear from Tiffany with some concrete information as it seems if that is the case most of us are wasting our time here with this ridiculous saga.

I for one won't be waiting til April for it.

@NextBase Tiffany Any info regarding the above posts.

The problem here is Tiffany can only tell us what she's being told, could say their using her as a scapegoat !!!
Probably very true. But it's about time they started telling us the truth. Lots of people are unhappy about the delay it already has had. Now nextbase customer services are saying its delayed even further.

Each time it has been said it would be released by a certain time frame its then been delayed again, but not by being informed there is a further delay just someone chasing it up again.

if you could buy it today but they haven't finished debugging the firmware yet and it doesn't work all the time, you still want it?

if you could buy it today but they haven't finished debugging the firmware yet and it doesn't work all the time, you still want it?
Oh so they haven't had a reasonable amount of time to sort things out,is that what you're saying ?

The point is they sell the camera with a rear port and with reference to the rear camera which naturally makes you think a rear camera is available or will shortly be available.

They could have made no reference to that port and not put r-cam on the dust cover and said it will be for a future feature when questioned about it.

Alternatively rather than release half of a product early they could have delayed the launch of that camera the only one that has the rear port until they had both cameras ready.

Oh so they haven't had a reasonable amount of time to sort things out,is that what you're saying ?

I'm saying it's not ready, it's not ready, whatever the reason doesn't matter, if it was all done they would be selling it, there's no ROI in having it sitting on a shelf somewhere

The point is they sell the camera with a rear port and with reference to the rear camera which naturally makes you think a rear camera is available or will shortly be available.

just your assumption, if they sold it to you and said rear camera will be available on a specific date and your purchasing decision was based on that information then I would agree with you, can't see any reference to them having done that though

just your assumption, if they sold it to you and said rear camera will be available on a specific date and your purchasing decision was based on that information then I would agree with you, can't see any reference to them having done that though
So you would happily develop a product and get it on the shelves when only half of it has been devoted, then take nigh of a further year to develop the other half of it?

They must have known at the time of development of the 512GW it was going to have a rear camera as they included the rear camera port and appropriate internals. So assuming at a a guess that say a year goes into development of each new camera, a year of development and release the main camera the another year to develop the rear camera at least.

Hmm, reasonable time. Not sure how long that is, everyone would moan like mad if a product was released and the hardware/software was not properly developed.

Yes it's not good that the launch has been delayed more than once and perhaps the process could have been managed better.

these things take longer than it may seem, there is obviously some issue that is holding things up or it would have been released already

The retailer is responsible for "selling" products to customers, I'm certain absolutely no retailer has sold a 512gw by informing a customer of a specific date that a rear cam will become available.

I know its frustrating and in some cases angering, but the only reason we know about a rear cam is because of a higher interest than the general public and our desire to be on forums like this, almost "inside information" if you will.

Nextbase have used this forum to tell us about the cam they're bringing out, not to specifically sell it to us, and yes, if I had bought a 512gw using the strength of this forum knowing there was a rear cam coming, I'd also be frustrated, moreso if I had an incident where a rear cam would be beneficial (if I didn't already have one), but I don't think I could reasonably hold Nextbase "accountable"

The retailer is responsible for "selling" products to customers, I'm certain absolutely no retailer has sold a 512gw by informing a customer of a specific date that a rear cam will become available.

I know its frustrating and in some cases angering, but the only reason we know about a rear cam is because of a higher interest than the general public and our desire to be on forums like this, almost "inside information" if you will.

Nextbase have used this forum to tell us about the cam they're bringing out, not to specifically sell it to us, and yes, if I had bought a 512gw using the strength of this forum knowing there was a rear cam coming, I'd also be frustrated, moreso if I had an incident where a rear cam would be beneficial (if I didn't already have one), but I don't think I could reasonably hold Nextbase "accountable"

You are indeed correct.

For my purchase, Argos did not divulge any information regarding the rear cam as they had zero information to hand about it. But Nextbase did.
And that's the very reason I went ahead and purchased the camera based on the fact I could have a minimal hassle 'two camera - one card' solution at that time.

With hindsight being 20/20, I would not have purchased this 512GW had 'I known then what I know now'. I would have gone for the DOD LS470W (which I also have) in an instant at that time for a single camera solution (superb Image quality coupled to vastly superior night mode due to higher/'better' ISO range).

Back