Anyone here running the Xiaomi XiaoYi Yi Smart Wifi Cam?

Hi guys,
yesterday I received a Yi Smart Cam IR version. RSTP is working quite well if wifi signal is good, but I can't login with any of the apps available like XiaoYi Camera and SmartHome - I tried all versions but no luck, so I thought it's the firmware.

I found the 1.8B version, downgraded and I need the 1.8I as it's most stable + rstp (and maybe android app will work with it).

Could you share it once again?

Same here I am getting motion triggered alerts and they are highlighted on the timeline, but scrubbing on the android app timeline doesn't work - it always starts from the beginning of the recording or goes to live view.

any android user have the same problem ?
I had the same problem ,
to fix it , i change the timezone of my phone to GMT+8 Hong Kong , and the timeline is now working as it should

Seems like in the excitement I forgot to post how it was done.

Anyway - for firmware 1.8.5.1I (this doesn't work on J - see the end of this post for why)

Just download this file:
https://mega.co.nz/#!QARChRCD!4slw-kvKJDGGuAfZr7M-iTr0rRBAoBPVExVbCUikEFs

Extract the test folder and it's contents to the top level of the memory card.

Now just go and insert the card into your Yi Smart Camera and turn it on if it's not already.

The file was removed. Can you upload it again if you don't mind please ? Thanks in advance.

They released firmware J that stops this working now.

I got telnet access to the device but you need the root password so just trying to crack that.
Hi,

Is telnet working on any FW ? I would like to change the TZ on the device since having different TZ between Camera and Phone break the timeshifting feature in the APP ...

Thx

I have that working on 1.8.5.1 using ntpd running but if the task /home/cloud fires up it over-rides ntpd and puts the time back to China time. The instructions are in this thread http://en.miui.com/thread-137413-1-1.html. Luckily seems to be a backdoor where it executes /test/equip_test.sh so any extra commands can be put in there to enable telnet and ftp services. I love how this camera is rock solid and never needs power cycling. I did find during a power cut it re-ran /home/cloud in spite of it being commented out of the /home/init.sh. I have put the set_date.sh mod from that thread and stuck a 'killall cloud' in there so hopefully next power cut the time won't go back to China.

There are other processes run on this camera that could be putting your video out to their servers as well - a netstat shows them up. They are likely necessary to allow the camera to work through firewalls from remote locations.

Hi all,

I'd like to grab a single frame from the camera every minute to generate a time lapse video. I had a fair success using avconv to extract jpeg images from the rtsp stream on an external device. However, every now and then glitches occur in the image, presumably due to a bad network connection or low resources on the cam.

It would be great to have the camera shoot a single frame every minute and to save it as a jpeg file to the micro sd card. Can anyone give me a hint how to access the camera from within the HiLinux system? There seems to be no /dev/video or similar.

Cheers
Tom

Is it possible to use this camera with any 3rd party ios apps?

Thanks for those links, I shall check them out in detail. I had mine pretty much how I wanted it - not using their app as I wasn't sure what it did with the stream going to their server, just using live cams pro, but any rtsp application should be able to do it. Obviously you don't get the time-line showing movement but I am happy for the odd occasion to take the card out if need be. I have also had some success with my Synology NAS looking for movement and storing video there. It keeps running up the ./cloud app which corrects the time back to China so in the end I had to remove execute flag from that file.

would it be possible to fix the shutter speed of the camera?
I noticed that it gets really slow when dark.
Have the IR version of the camera, and am planning trying to use it as an IR camera tracker. As i will be using it in a dark environment and only require it to see bright IR led light sources, thus I do not need the shutter speed to slow down to try to correct the exposure.
Have disabled the IR LEDs and manually disabled the IR cut filter in the lens module (wonder if it is possible to do that via software).

I've got my Xiaoyi Smart camera, it worked some time. But then I wanted to put an older firmware to it so that I can connect via RTSP.
And now I can't connect it to wifi, it only blinks yellow and nothing happens.
I have IR version of the camera.
What can I do? Is there a latest firmware available for download somewhere as I'm unable to find it.
Also the latest APK for Android... Anywhere?
Thank you!

Hi, just got two of the night versions. Some pain to get the app and cameras working, but all are good now. I managed to set them up with the Mi Home app since initially I could not login with any Xiaoyi camera app. After one day everything started to work with an XiaoYi app older version that updated from inside the app to ver. 2.10.0.5_20151028 [seems to be the latest].Firmware is 1.8.5.1.K201508311131

@vedranius -try the MiHome app. Select add camera, and follow onscreen instructions. That is how i did it.

Now, I have a questions for the more experienced users: Is it possible to make the camera record without WIFI, like a standalone dashcam? I found I video claiming this but did not get how. With the frame removed I would like to try leaving it in the car, sticked to the mirror. any thoughts about how to achieve this?

Last edited:
Thanks! I will check it out.

I found this link earlier: http://robinhenniges.com/en/fix-xiaomi-xiaoyi-small-ant

Has fixes/workarounds for the RTSP, time zone, telnet/FTP. After using that I got the RTSP to work in VLC and I also just tried it out with iSpy.

This camera is pretty neat!

Actually this script has bricked my camera... After restarting even without SD card camera flashing orange led and no chinese voice can be heard.
Tried to load old firmwares to SD root but without success, its like camera is hanging during the booting sequence before it even read SD card.

Did someone unbricked camer with success?
@reverend MAybe you know something about it?

Thanks a lot for help.

Huh figured this out. All i have done wrong is the SD card formating, which has to be FAT32 i dont know why my computer forced simple FAT...

Well, just got mine.
I CAN NOT make it work.
Can´t pair it with the app.

Tried xiaomi home app, stays blue solid but says the app is not the appropriate for my camera.
Downloaded the Chinese version. Won´t scan the QR code.

Anyone can help me out?

Looks like from M firmware (or newest cameras and M fw supports it) there is a region lock (camera after pairing disconnects with chinese msg about not beeing in mainland China).
These can be found in logs:

Code:
[/home/cloud][$date]: cloud_set_ban_device send_msg ok!
[/home/cloud][$date]: ban region!

Does anyone has a solution for that? How to region-cheat camera or remove checking step in the firmware?

Looks like from M firmware (or newest cameras and M fw supports it) there is a region lock (camera after pairing disconnects with chinese msg about not beeing in mainland China).
These can be found in logs:

Code:
[/home/cloud][$date]: cloud_set_ban_device send_msg ok!
[/home/cloud][$date]: ban region!

Does anyone has a solution for that? How to region-cheat camera or remove checking step in the firmware?

Get to the china appstore, download the Yi Smart Home app.
I did that and now works flawlessly.

Back