Autonomous Uber kill vehicle (Dash Cam)

As long as there are no global slow agonizing death penalty for hackers, then i wouldn't put too much faith in anything with a computer in it.
My suggestion are lots of old modems / routers / switches getting thrown at you until you die.
And i sure as hell dont get this idea with driving hands free, people wanting to do that got to have really expensive time since they need to do other things while driving, and so they should hire a driver instead.

More autonomous killing machines. This happened about 15 mins away from the Tesla factory here in the Silicon Valley.

Tesla autopilot sent dude on his way to work crashing into a highway barrier, then he was struck by two trailing vehicles. The victim allegedly complained that the hexed autopilot machine was trying to send him to an early grave via the same barrier day in day out. Don't know why he continued to use the autopilot or if the autopilot took over automatically and doomed him.

Another Tesla owner basically recreated the failure in that crash, just without the crash:
https://electrek.co/2018/04/02/tesla-fatal-autopilot-crash-recreation/amp/

I'm curious what kind of vehicle crashed into the barrier a week before the fatal Tesla collision... Could it have been another Tesla?
No, we would have heard about it if it was. Anything they can do to bash the newcomer. It was probably just some schlub either drunk, texting, or sleeping, and may have even died, but because it was not an electric car, it's not newsworthy.

Me? Cynical? No, never! :mad:

because it was not an electric car, it's not newsworthy.

You're probably right that it wasn't a Tesla.

However, but I've worked in enough companies and gov't agencies to know that it's equally possible that nobody's reviewed it in the context of the previous week's incident because it's not their job. And for those who have connected the dots, they aren't authorized to release the information (privacy/lawsuit/whatever), or don't want to be the one contacting the media, because *surely* somebody else will. And for those who know and would otherwise be willing to leak the info, they might hold Tesla shares, and therefore have an incentive to keep quiet. And if the driver in the previous week's crash was in a Tesla on Autopilot, I bet their lawyer would advise them to keep their lips shut, and try to get some extra consideration out of Tesla for their sure-to-come lawsuit settlement.

Another Tesla owner basically recreated the failure in that crash, just without the crash:
https://electrek.co/2018/04/02/tesla-fatal-autopilot-crash-recreation/amp/

Pretty crazy that Teslas just follow the painted line in lane markings. Someone could just paint a line into the ocean and it would probably drive over a cliff.

1522408789_10001421+SUV+Off+Cliff.JPG

Here is a different Tesla that crashed into a barrier while on autopilot. This happened in Sept. I wouldn't use autopilot if I owned a Tesla. The machines out for blood :blackalien:

View attachment 37377
Might help if they didn't paint the ends of the barriers in dazzle camouflage!
Especially difficult to see using monochrome sensors...

4rd.png

Wonder if it also camouflaged at lidar frequencies?

Have a feeling that the decision on how to highlight the end of a barrier is aimed toward cars with drivers so Tesla is going to need to lift their game, can't see the world rethinking barrier design soon enough for dummies to stop dying behind the wheel otherwise

Have a feeling that the decision on how to highlight the end of a barrier is aimed toward cars with drivers so Tesla is going to need to lift their game, can't see the world rethinking barrier design soon enough for dummies to stop dying behind the wheel otherwise
If we really want autonomous vehicles on our roads then it may be worth sticking some infrared reflective spots on the barriers for lidar detectors to see, and maybe also in the lane markers (cats eyes) for the lidar to follow. Lidar may be able to see in the dark, but it can't see things that are black at the light frequencies it uses; road design has to be important in making these things safe, just as it is for making human drivers reasonably safe.

Fixing the roads to make them autonomous friendly is no small task, can't see anyone in a rush to foot the bill to make it happen, will be one of those 'we can't provide the infrastructure because the cars aren't there to justify it' v 'we can't provide the cars because the infrastructure isn't there for them' type of cat and mouse situations

Fixing the roads to make them autonomous friendly is no small task, can't see anyone in a rush to foot the bill to make it happen, will be one of those 'we can't provide the infrastructure because the cars aren't there to justify it' v 'we can't provide the cars because the infrastructure isn't there for them' type of cat and mouse situations
I'm sure our governments can justify an extra $100 road tax on all autonomous vehicles. They would be out of pocket for the first few years, but after 30 years would have made a huge profit on providing a few IR reflective stickers!

will probably happen eventually, just can't see it happening anytime soon, it's a massive task

Last edited:
+1

Pretty crazy that Teslas just follow the painted line in lane markings. Someone could just paint a line into the ocean and it would probably drive over a cliff.

The scary thing is, there are people out there who would deliberately set out to make this happen. Developing algorithms to deal with carefully designed roads is hard enough, but you need to cope with "hackers" who methodically act to subvert the safety protocols. It could be a new form of terrorism.

Or how long before we hear someone say "it was just a prank, bro!"?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Artist Uses Ritual Magic to Capture Driverless Cars

"Somewhere between pagan magic, modern science and quirky satire, this installation project uses salt circles but also the logic of traffic lines to lure in and ensnare unsuspecting autonomous vehicles."

"James Bridle‘s Autonomous Trap 001 employs familiar street markings found on divided highways – per the rules of the road, cars can cross over the dotted line but not back over the solid line.
As these technologies gain traction, it is entirely likely that serious attempts will be made to spoof and deceive their machine vision algorithms."

https://weburbanist.com/2017/03/28/...uses-ritual-magic-to-capture-driverless-cars/

car-trap-960x720.jpeg

Last edited:
can't rely on things like IR reflectors on barriers, aside from the amount of work to retrofit everywhere it would be too easily defeated if it was vandalised, damaged, dirty etc, can't image how they would possibly monitor them to make sure they are all in operable order at all times

can't rely on things like IR reflectors on barriers, aside from the amount of work to retrofit everywhere it would be too easily defeated if it was vandalised, damaged, dirty etc, can't image how they would possibly monitor them to make sure they are all in operable order at all times

At some point in the future RFID chips will be embedded literally everywhere and these will become one of the components of a vast "intelligent infrastructure" for guiding and controlling autonomous vehicles.

Last edited:
I'm starting to feel like Sarah Connor warning everyone of the machines and judgement day :greyalien:

Terminator%2B2%2Bmental%2Bhospital%2BSarah%2BConner%2BJohn%2BArnold.jpg

I'm starting to feel like Sarah Connor warning everyone of the machines and judgement day :greyalien:

At least there's one automated driving system that knows when to tell a human to take over. (And safely dispose of those alternative energy sources.)

Back