B1W - hardwired kit installed to a VF commodore

Svensin

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Just my personal experience with installing this, loads of videos about the camera but not alot on the hardwire side.20180129_125007.jpg20180129_125012.jpg20180129_125017.jpg
20180129_125001.jpgAll finished for now but its getting hot, time for a beer. Im keen to do some more g-sensor testing soon to see what it takes to set it off.

Cheers.

1)Recommend you get one extra fuse for this hardwire kit.
2)What is the G-sensor level you setup in its APP?

Good idea, if the cam blows it have no acc.
Sensor is set on high. It this point it seems closing the door will set it off, not sure it would pick up another door opening into mine.
It loops records so im not that fused really if its recording lots, but the middle setting might be better i think.

Had a general drive around doing some shopping,

some points =

- If the WIFI is in range, i can tap into the app and see a live stream (down side, its probably only about 20 - 30 meters roughly)
- being on alot, I dont think i want to leave it plugged in on a really hot day (i am in Australia, you can cook an egg on the ground some days lol)
- I think it helps if you are fastidious... as in remembering to stop and start the recordings manually. It wont hurt to forget to stop the recording but might be bad if you forget to turn it on.
- high setting takes a 30sec clip when i get out of the car and close the door. close to every occasion. I would rather leave it on high as I would be disappointed to find a dent and no recording on a lower setting.

Bottom line is, if you an average user, just want a cam, dont want use phone apps for it and dont care about when its sitting in the local carpark or work... dont worry about hardwiring it.
If you do use the app alot (if not every time), have a nice car you are looking to protect (in a legal sense) then get a hardwire.

I have 2 set up, the wife just wants one for driving where the car is no pristine lambo, she doesnt want to turn it off and on and mirco manage it, just get in and drive.
I have mine hardwired as i have a nice car i want to protect... but given more time and the novelty (and car) fades some what, I'd be happy to swap back to the other cable knowing i dont have to manage it ALL the time.

Just some further info.
when using the wifi connection through the app, my phones 3g data signal does not work (obviously thinking the wifi is a data connection, which it is not.)
So i turned on a setting for dual data, still doesn't work. Not a real bad thing if i have the app running with a feed but kinda sucks when i want to use navigation or something, i have to turn off the wifi on the phone. Its making me play around more with the phone more which can be annoying. (Galaxy note 5 FYI) Im hoping there is another setting i have missed to avoid this.
now i seem to just take out the cable if i dont care about motion recording (like at home)
Good news is i was out the other day and it was very hot outside and in the car when i wasnt there. leave it recording the whole day, the unit got really hot but worked perfectly. handled the australian climate well :)

It happens on Android phones. Some android phones switch back to mobile data (LTE) automatically since this B1W dashcam WiFi cannot support internet access;

It happens on Android phones. Some android phones switch back to mobile data (LTE) automatically since this B1W dashcam WiFi cannot support internet access;

it's quite common on a lot of phones, particularly if they are on older versions of Android

So ive been running this for a while, further feedback.

The other day the unit got very hot, as in could not touch it hot. When i started the car, it did not turn on. I juggled it in front of the aircon and cooled it briefly and it started up again. All good.
I didnt notice at the time but the heat had loosened the turn point a little and it was facing slightly up, which wasn't a really bad thing as it was SUPER tight before.

I have also noticed a slight interference in my stereo/radio... but im not sure if this is from the way i have wired it into the AC fuse or my antenna is slightly damaged. It doesnt bother me as i rarely listen to it anyway.

Back