Just recently hardwired B1W. Got a few questions.

stelloy

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, I just recently hardwired my dashcam. Is it supposed to be constantly on? And how will I know that it's entered the parking mode? I'm kind of worried it might drain the battery. I connected it to a fuse that's always on even if the car is off. My hardwire kit is from the amazon place that sells the B1W also.

I just recently hardwired my dashcam. Is it supposed to be constantly on?
I suspect you load firmware 20180614 Auto parking firmware! If the camera detects no move on G-sensor within 3 minutes, parking mode is activated; When G sensor starts being triggered during parking mode, it switches to normal recording.
And how will I know that it's entered the parking mode?
Pay attention to check its Led light, if the Led light stays on, it indicates it was on parking mode!
I'm kind of worried it might drain the battery. I connected it to a fuse that's always on even if the car is off. My hardwire kit is from the amazon place that sells the B1W also.
This hardwire kit features with Low voltage protection and will cut power automatically.

Ohh. So if the LED light is green the whole time it's on parking mode?

And thank you that's good to know!

Ohh. So if the LED light is green the whole time it's on parking mode?

And thank you that's good to know!

Yes

Flashing red = recording on, wifi off
Flashing green = recording on, wifi on
Solid red = parking mode, not recording, wifi off
Solid green = parking mode, not recording, wifi on

The B1W uses very little current, it is probably the most power-efficient cam made. With mine constantly recording, even three full days of parking shows no apparent loss of engine-cranking power. There's a lot to like with this cam!

Phil

The B1W uses very little current, it is probably the most power-efficient cam made. With mine constantly recording, even three full days of parking shows no apparent loss of engine-cranking power. There's a lot to like with this cam!

Phil
Even better, in parking mode it uses 30% less power than when constantly recording!

So, I have a question. It would go to parking mode but if I try to do anything infront of the camera for some type of movement, it doesn't record. Even if I start the car it wont record automatically I'll have to start recording.

So, I have a question. It would go to parking mode but if I try to do anything infront of the camera for some type of movement, it doesn't record. Even if I start the car it wont record automatically I'll have to start recording.
It only leaves parking mode if it detects movement using the g-sensor, you need to start driving, or hit it!

Hi everyone.
I have bought a B1W a few days ago. tomorrow I will get the hardwire kit.
Do I have to connect it to a fuse that always comes with power?

from what I understand the room does not automatically go into parking mode?
could someone send me the latest or better firmware for parking mode?

Hi everyone.
I have bought a B1W a few days ago. tomorrow I will get the hardwire kit.
Do I have to connect it to a fuse that always comes with power?

from what I understand the room does not automatically go into parking mode?
could someone send me the latest or better firmware for parking mode?
Please check your inbox message, PM you already!

Just to confirm, when hardwiring the B1W, it only supports an 'always on' functionality? Meaning it'll need to be tapped into a fuse that is always on?

Can it be hardwired into an ACC fuse (turns off when the ignition is off)?

Yes, if you use B1W only when driving. It has an automatic recording start at power on (ignition on) and correct completion of the final file at power off

Just to confirm, when hardwiring the B1W, it only supports an 'always on' functionality? Meaning it'll need to be tapped into a fuse that is always on?

If you want it turns off when the ignition off, it turns on when ignition on, just use this supplied car charger, it will work!
If you want to keep recording even if ignition off, you should hardwired connection with an always-on socket!

If you want it turns off when the ignition off, it turns on when ignition on, just use this supplied car charger, it will work!
If you want to keep recording even if ignition off, you should hardwired connection with an always-on socket!
Yes I’m using the supplied car charger now. I just want to free up that 12v socket. I’m not interested in parking mode so I don’t want the camera to always be on. I read on a previous post that the B1W only supports “always on” when hardwired, and I wanted to confirm if that was true.

If you hardwire with a 2-wire kit, you can tap power at a switched fuse to get the operation you seek. You can do the same with a 3-wire kit by using only the 'always hot' wire on a switched fuse instead and leaving the other wire disconnected. Or you can grab a ciggie lighter extension cord, cut the male plug off, then wire the clipped leads similarly using the PS you have now taped in place so it doesn't back out over time. Any of these 3 ways will result in car on/cam on and car off/cam off. Be sure to have a 2A or similar fuse in-line with your power tap.

Phil

If you hardwire with a 2-wire kit, you can tap power at a switched fuse to get the operation you seek. You can do the same with a 3-wire kit by using only the 'always hot' wire on a switched fuse instead and leaving the other wire disconnected. Or you can grab a ciggie lighter extension cord, cut the male plug off, then wire the clipped leads similarly using the PS you have now taped in place so it doesn't back out over time. Any of these 3 ways will result in car on/cam on and car off/cam off. Be sure to have a 2A or similar fuse in-line with your power tap.

Phil

I'm a n00b when it comes to this, and I was tempted to just take my car to an audio shop to see if they'll be able to hardwire it for me, but I'd rather learn it so when I upgrade I can do it myself.

When you say 2A you mean 2amp fuse? I've looked on amazon and see some 'add-a-fuse' rated at 10 or 15 amps. Will the work with the B1W or be too much for it? I looked at my car manual and the diagram for the fuse box shows fuses ranging from 7.5 amps to 20 amps, some of the research I've done says it's a big no no to replace an existing fuse with a high amp fuse, but okay to replace it with a lower amp (but not recommended).

It is simple to do hardwire connection DIY if you have one multi-meter.
Find an always-on socket when the engine off-- red wire from the hardwire kit connected to this socket(suggest add a fuse)-----black wire from the hardwire kit connected to GND

Here's a post with drawings explaining this:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...t-way-and-a-wrong-way.7524/page-7#post-440510

The "add-a-fuse" devices are rated at maximun amperage, meaning you can add a circuit up to that level or anything smaller- the lowest-rated ones will work here. Be sure to get the one which matches your fuse type- there are several kinds and your owners manual will specify this. It may be shown on the fuse diagram too which is usually on the fusebox cover. You may have to purchase a new 2Amp fuse for the device. If you have trouble finding that, anything 5A or less should be OK. With the hardwire kit, black goes to car ground and the other color goes to the add-a-fuse.

Figuring out which fuse to tap can be a little tricky, as some cars have computer-controlled power schemes which delay turning things off after you turn the key to 'off'. Never tap into a safety-critical circuit such as ABS, exterior lights, ECM/PCM, wipers, fuel pump etc. Heated seats or mirrors, A/C, etc are good places to try. For this an inexpensive LED test-light or multimeter helps immensely, especially with finding a bolt or screw for car ground. A crimp sleeve placed with a crimping tool or a solder connection should be used for the wire connection to the add-a-fuse; simply twisting the wires togther will give problems later. Also be sure that where you route the wire to the cam doesn't interfere with airbag deployment.

This isn't really a hard-to-do job, just think it through and take one step at a time. If you aren't comfortable with this, any mechanic, car audio shop, or friend with some car knowledge can do this for you without much cost.

Phil

This hardwire kit features with Low voltage protection and will cut power automatically.

Do you know something about voltage protection when hard wire kit is packed with B1W (in AliExpress most popular stores for B1W)?

Do you know something about voltage protection when hard wire kit is packed with B1W (in AliExpress most popular stores for B1W)?
You can use the Mini0906 hardwire kit, and let its Yellow wire unconnected!

Back