B40 / A118 / AE-CC30 Mounted in your Car. ( Photos )

Yeah, mine is 2016 Civic EX-T. I am leasing, so higher trim is cheaper.
Sure, I'd be interested in cables. PM me.
I have made a mold for the rear camera. It'll sit in the middle hanging off the hard liner. It is already pre-wired. I'll make it in a day or two and post a picture.
Here is 3D image.
BTW, I knew about CAD 3 weeks ago as much as you do. FreeCAD is very easy and free with tons of forum and other information on the Internet.

Attachments

• rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 56
Sure, I'd be interested in cables. PM me.
Unfortunately, the cables I got will not work as a replacement.

In case anyone else wanted to know, these new cables have the contacts all on one side (which is what you'd expect) whereas the original cables have the contacts on one side on one end and the other side on the other end- they flip. Rather, if laid flat, one end has the contacts on the top while the other end has the contacts on the bottom.

Though not uncommon, this isn't what you'd normally expect since that puts it into the realm of being a custom cable vs. a stock part. Though given the length, it probably was already a custom cable.

There are ways to make the cables work: solder a top contact connector on one of the boards, or make a coupler with two connectors (a gender changer) and make the new cable essentially an extension cord on the original cable. Either way, that requires more parts.

I'll see if I can scavenge up the right connectors at work, otherwise I'll need to mail order some.

This isn't as easy as I'd hoped, but I've already put this much effort into it already, making a gender changer isn't that much more work.

This new cable at 200mm- or 8"- is much longer than I need, but it really opens up more possibilities for different kinds of mounts. If the camera works with such a long cable.

Can you just fold the end of the cable or would that make it too thick to fit the connector.
Maybe. I'd have to remove the stiffener. But there's the chance that creasing the conductors around 180 degrees will break some of the traces.

Here we come. Finally I have front and rear cameras installed.. and pictures are:

Attachments

• IMG_0598.JPG
    IMG_0598.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0599.JPG
    IMG_0599.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0604.JPG
    IMG_0604.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0614.JPG
    IMG_0614.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0616.JPG
    IMG_0616.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0625.JPG
    IMG_0625.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0626.JPG
    IMG_0626.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0634.JPG
    IMG_0634.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0636.JPG
    IMG_0636.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0638.JPG
    IMG_0638.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 73
and more images:

Attachments

• IMG_0639.JPG
    IMG_0639.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0641.JPG
    IMG_0641.JPG
    423.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0642.JPG
    IMG_0642.JPG
    313.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0644.JPG
    IMG_0644.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 53
and more images:
I used to joke that my step mother's 05 civic hybrid looked like an alien space ship... Apparently Honda thought they'd try for a more accurate representation of one this time around. ;)

But at least you don't have that huge mass of plastic behind the mirror that some recent ones have had!

I agree! Someone supplies a wrong weed to those designers for the last 15 years and it tends to be across the World.
Although one of the worst ones' (in my opinion) are Nissan designers.

I agree! Someone supplies a wrong weed to those designers for the last 15 years and it tends to be across the World.
Although one of the worst ones' (in my opinion) are Nissan designers.
No kidding! What on earth were they thinking when they made a convertible version of the murano?? And I had a versa hatch as a rental a while back and it might as well have not even had side mirrors, and it's blind spots were huge. I returned it the next day and got a focus instead.

and more images:
How much of the original plastics did you keep? The LCD holder, clear cover, front buttons, reset button, and...? Did you cut off the front face and bolt it to your pieces? And those pieces are molded carbon fiber? Where did you place the speaker and mic?

About the extension cable I was working on- I made the gender changer, but the resulting two cables joined together were just a bit too long. Sometimes the LCD would show an image, but it would often freeze until a reset.

Digikey has shorter cables that have the flipped contacts so I wouldn't need the gender changer, but I just haven't gotten around to figuring how long I need. My camera is working well enough as it is, so I'm not going to mess with the setup until my GPS module arrives.

Well, front cam I kept the faceplate with glass and buttons. Rear cam - all things I made myself. LCD just sticks through the square hole.
Sorry, I forgot. Yes it is made of carbon fiber..

Attachments

• rear.bracket.jpg
    rear.bracket.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 36
Quick question for those in high heat areas that have theirs mounted to the factory dot matrix. Has the mount fallen off at all? I just received mine today and am wanting to mount it up high behind the mirror but that puts the 3m tape on the dot matrix if I want it completely hidden and I'm worried about longevity.

Thanks!

Quick question for those in high heat areas that have theirs mounted to the factory dot matrix. Has the mount fallen off at all? I just received mine today and am wanting to mount it up high behind the mirror but that puts the 3m tape on the dot matrix if I want it completely hidden and I'm worried about longevity.

Thanks!
Are the 'dots' in your car embedded in the glass? If so you should have not have any issues at all. If they are 'on' the glass you should be OK but there's a possibility that removing the tape in the future could cause issues.

Thanks!
the only issue i had was when i first installed it. i didn't clean the dots well enough, and i also didn't hold pressure on it after sticking it to make sure it stuck, so it fell a day or two later.

chances of you taking the dots off are slim/none. i specifically used a new razor blade to scrape the area i planned to stick it (after spraying w/ windex, which cleans and also acts as a lubricant for the razor so it doesn't scratch the glass), then scrubbed w/ rubbing alcohol, let it dry, and then stuck it up there. then held steady pressure for about 30 seconds, so the adhesive could shape itself around the dots - they're actually raised just enough to keep the tape from sticking to the glass between the dots, and holding pressure on it lets the tape deform enough to also grab the glass.. it's been there over a year now with no issues, and my car is parked outside every day - no garage or carport. maybe a little shade from a tree off to one side, but that's only in the last few hours of the day. most of the day it's in direct sunlight.

the only issue i had was when i first installed it. i didn't clean the dots well enough, and i also didn't hold pressure on it after sticking it to make sure it stuck, so it fell a day or two later.

chances of you taking the dots off are slim/none. i specifically used a new razor blade to scrape the area i planned to stick it (after spraying w/ windex, which cleans and also acts as a lubricant for the razor so it doesn't scratch the glass), then scrubbed w/ rubbing alcohol, let it dry, and then stuck it up there. then held steady pressure for about 30 seconds, so the adhesive could shape itself around the dots - they're actually raised just enough to keep the tape from sticking to the glass between the dots, and holding pressure on it lets the tape deform enough to also grab the glass.. it's been there over a year now with no issues, and my car is parked outside every day - no garage or carport. maybe a little shade from a tree off to one side, but that's only in the last few hours of the day. most of the day it's in direct sunlight.

Thanks for the reply. It definitely occurred to me to make sure that the area is nice and clean for good adhesion. It's also good to hear that after a year in the Texas heat that yours is still mounted properly. I'm in FL, also always parked outside, so it being able to stay up there is important. Mounting it on the dots keeps it completely hidden behind the mirror, and it allows me to hide the wires easily along the factory GPS box that is up there too.

Cable is hidden. Connected directly to the fuse box. Starts recording when i turn the key.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 27
Installed mine the other day, figured I'd post up some pictures for others to see. I had to sand down the wire cover a bit, as I didn't mount the camera with that in mine and I was 2-3 mm too high so it was interfering with the headliner. No pictures of that but I'm sure you know what it looks like anyway.

uploadfromtaptalk1461717242069.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1461717259010.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1461717230707.jpg

From the driver's seat all that is seen is the wire cover and it looks pretty much factory installed.

Question though, does the CPL for the street guardian fit on the b40c? The window in my car is very steep and there is tons of glare from the dash board I'd love to get rid of.

Question though, does the CPL for the street guardian fit on the b40c? The window in my car is very steep and there is tons of glare from the dash board I'd love to get rid of.
No. Lens housing/design is different.

Edit: Check the DIY section - there are a few threads for DIY filters that you might want to try as an alternative.

IMG_20160426_202711w1.jpg IMG_20160426_202701w1.jpg IMG_20160426_202722w1.jpg 2008 Subaru Impreza, A118C

Last edited:
My rain sensor never actally worked so I'm thinking - is it possible to remove it and place the camera where it was. It has a small clear window where the actual sensor is but I'm not sure if it will be big enough to not block the camera view. How big of a hole does the camera need?

Back