B4K - GPS module does now not appear to be operating

Mark S-H

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Dash Cam
K6000, G1WH, G1WC, B1W, B4K
I've had my B4K dashcam for several years and have nearly always used the Speed and GPS setting set to ON.
The other day I wanted to get a video off the SD card so I loaded the card into my computer but I noticed that the Speed and GPS did NOT appear on the recording.
I opened and looked at the menu setting on the B4K but the Speed and GPS settings were still set to 'ON'.
I tried to set the settings to OFF and then back ON but this had no affect.
I can no longer get the Speed and GPS to show on the recordings.
Note: apart from this, the camera seems to be working fine.
Has anyone else had this problem?
If so, can anyone suggest anything?
Thanks

If so, can anyone suggest anything?
I don't know if this is the reason, but it is a possibility that the GPS doesn't work when it is in a red GPS jamming area on this map:

You appear to be very near to the red area...

It seems to be unusual for GPS receivers to die. The B4K one probably doesn't use the newer navigation constellations like the EU's Galileo that might get around the jamming, so it is probably more susceptible to jamming than recent mobile phones. It may have GLONASS, which shouldn't be blocked so much, but I'm not sure how good that system actually is.

I've not heard many reports of this being a problem, but the jamming does seem to have been getting worse.

Russia accused of jamming GPS navigation - BBC

1719583967659.png
BBC
https://www.bbc.com › news › articles

Umm, thanks for that Nigel, it's a possibility. I'm in the yellow area referring to this map:
Daily maps of GPS interference
It could also be due to the extreme hot weather here at the moment.
I will check my Garmin vehicle satnav to see if that is affected.
But, I have just discovered that something happened between 17th June 2024 and 22nd June 2024

170624.jpg
220624.jpg

Last edited:
I will check my Garmin vehicle satnav to see if that is affected.
I would expect a Garmin to have a rather better receiver than the B4K, that is what Garmin are famous for!

I'm in the yellow area referring to this map:
Note that the map is generated from aircraft data, so a yellow block is yellow at something like 35,000ft. At ground level the interference will be rather different. Up at aircraft height, there should be significantly more GPS satellites visible since they can see over the horizon and don't have hills and buildings in the way, so a yellow block for an aircraft might be red for the ground, although it can probably work the other way too, if you have a hill blocking the jamming signal.

I guess the only way to really check is to go for a drive to the green area, and then use the camera in a deep valley that the Russians can't reach!

Another possibility, have you added anything else to your vehicle that might be interfering with the GPS signal?

I have found a recording from 29th April 2024 which at first the speed and GPS does not work then after a while it starts to work.
I am suspecting an intermittent fault with the GPS sensor.
It could be related to what Nigel mentioned in post #2 above but is anyone else having any problems like this?
Daily maps of GPS interference
See the photos 1 to photo 4 below

Test1.jpg
Test2.jpg
Test3.jpg
Test4.jpg

Last edited:
There was this thread that may have had a similar issue, but I've not seen enough evidence to make it more than a possibility:

Problems do also occur at sea level:

Umm, maybe this fault is only transient and will disappear later.
I will watch it, change some settings and possibly do a factory reset to see if it clears the fault.
Cheers for your help.

Back