Battery dashcam

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
So with the latest undertaking of EU, forcing makers of consumer electronics to make things like batteries user replaceable.
Will this be the nail in the coffin for battery cameras ? well at least in the EU

A lot of small devices have replaceable batteries, the likes of CR2032, etc, being behind a slide off cover.

Why some devices have to have welded in batteries beats me.

Indeed, and thats not a big problem.
The biggest one are probably the phones, that long ago lost the ability to swap battery for a thinner and waterproof design, though LG for instance did make a phone with replaceable battery that was waterproof.
Apple is probably not going to make 2 different models of each phone, so will they leave the EU market ( them not at all being know for serviceability even by professionals )
I sort of hope they leave, and take their tax laundering setup with them.
There is also the question of EV cars and other things like scooters.
I think the new law state that change of battery must be possible even for a layman, which i find hard to believe with a EV battery, so maybe that only apply to lighter consumer products.

Not sure if it is just EU or worldwide, but frequent phone upgrades add a huge number of tonnes of them to be recycled or as it is now pretty much just dumped somewhere.

I think 70mai have already solved the problem by putting a connector on the battery and making the cover reasonably easy to remove.
Presumably it is OK to require a screwdriver to remove the cover?

Back