Battery issue

drivinglondon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my 0806's shuts down as soon as the power is removed.
This tells me it's a battery issue.
I have taken it apart checked what battery it takes and have ordered this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181725598903
It's a pack of 6 as I am willing to bet eventually the battery in my other one will die.

I guess they'll take a few weeks to get here, when they do I will make a video showing how to take the 0806 apart and replace the battery.

I couldn't be bothered to wait for the spare batteries to come from China so after a bit of research I found this battery
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172043135314
It's around 0.7mm bigger all round compared to the original battery but it still fits, It's in my camera and working well, I didn't do a video as I have areally bad cold but I did take a few pictures which I will post in a little while.

mkxf1g.jpg
mkxf1g.jpg

When you replace the battery there are some things you really need to be aware of.

1: When removing the base unit connecting ring there is a spring and ball bearing that will fly out and if you aren't careful you can easily lose these, the spring and ball bearing are by the LED lights.
I had a box lid from a box of A4 paper so I put the camera in that knowing that if the spring and ball bearing popped out they would land in the lid and I could easily find them, point the LED side of the camera down into the box when you take this ring off.

2: The battery cables are soldered onto the motherboard, the +ve and -ve connections are very close together, so close that I wimped out and decided not to desolder them as the heat from my iron could easily have caused them to melt together and cause a short circuit so instead I cut the cables and joined the new battery to the old cables and then insulated the joints with 1.2mm heatshrink tubing.

3: When reassembling the camera be very very careful not to trap the connecting cable from the base unit ring, it sits in a tiny groove in the ring and has a tendency to unseat itself.

1zyyckn.jpg
10r2vxl.jpg

Pretty much every issue you have with the 0806 can be traced to one of two things, either the GPS base unit or the battery.

GPS unit problems are usually just a dry joint on the connector pins so resoldering them solves 90% of base units issues.

Camera locking up, phantom resets, sudden starting and stopping, jamming on boot, etc are all battery related and replacing the cheap **** nasty battery with a decent solves these issues.

Here is an idea for someone who is electronically adept.... people like me who barely know the difference between positive and negative :) and never used a soldering iron, if our unit failed would I hope/assume prefer to have someone else replace the battery for significantly less than buying a new unit. "Wouldn't it be nice" if I can take my 0806 with a bad battery, ship it to someone and pay for the battery, installation and return shipping?

Maybe someone like that already exists and lurks here :)

That person wouldn't be me, I am happy to play around with my own stuff and if I break it then I break it, I won't take responsibility for someone else's property.

we have a technician who will replace batteries, but only on devices we sell :/

well I am glad I bought from you! --- though your batteries would never fail.... :)

Back