Battery pack with 12v socket plug in?

Are these Lithium Iron Sulphate? If so, what sets them apart from the Tqka unit I'm awaiting, apart from capacity? Electronic wizardry I guess?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B073QQPKVY

I think they're lithium ion. The key features of those are that they provide a huge amount of power and charge from 12v which is faster than charging from USB. The BlackVue battery takes about 2 hours to charge they say. If your camera is efficient enough it could run it for many hours on a short charging period

Well I went to AliExpress found what I wanted, went through the order process, when I got to where it said "Pay/Confirm" I clicked on it to confirm the order. Received message, You're not signed in, so I signed in!
Went to the item went through all again, got to the "Pay/Confirm" clicked on it, message: You are not signed in! Cancelled everything! Absolutely no way to contact them without using their "Canned" questions to your problem, which they didn't have! UNBELIEVABLE !
I will probably get a email from them tomorrow ! I guess this means I don't think Chinese, Oh Well!

I signed in just yesterday with no problem and left a message for Nancy at Treeye. I'd try flushing your browser cache and maybe even rebooting your computer and trying again. And perhaps there was a glitch on their servers? So far in my experience AliExpress works like a Swiss watch. Their web site seems pretty slick and well polished and I've been pretty impressed at how well it has all worked for me. I guess there could be some sort of authentication issue?

I think they're lithium ion. The key features of those are that they provide a huge amount of power and charge from 12v which is faster than charging from USB. The BlackVue battery takes about 2 hours to charge they say. If your camera is efficient enough it could run it for many hours on a short charging period

The battery in David's link is indeed Lithium Iron Phosphate. (not sulphate (sulfate) )

From the link.
battery.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.google.com.au/search?bi....64.psy-ab..21.7.965...0j0i13k1.0.Z8G5-YMUbXI

Voltage sensitive relay ... ^

12v sealed battery > https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...X&ved=0ahUKEwjI17TbqbPYAhVJrJQKHUs2D9wQsxgIKA
Then just connect a hardwire kit to the battery and go ! ( Maybe add a On Off switch to the hardwire kit ? )

Might be a plan for 2018 ...

Guess the hard part would be locating the 2nd battery ( mounting it securely ) ... And wiring it all ..
I still remember doing my reversing camera ... ( PITA )

If you are serious about your vehicle security , why mickey mouse it ?

Still looking for a DC - DC charger .. 12v to 12v ....

Ok something just crossed my aging brain !
Install a hardwire kit , it would charge the powerbank only when the ignition is turned on if sourced correctly ( power ) ...
So !
HWK puts power into powerbank when ignition is turned on ..
Power bank feeds cam ( Parking mode ) ( Motion detect / impact detect )

???? Could it be easier !

Finding a powerbank that does not turn off automatically ... ( This is the rub )
Hmmm , building a custom battery ?
Would need a USB out voltage booster to feed cam
Would need a 4.2v charger to recharge batteries ( 18650 ) ???
Or perhaps a large enough 1s Lipo to make life easier . ( Avoid balance charging multiple cells )

I think with some thought there are options ... So far the powerbank is the major problem as I see it ... ( That auto off function )

https://www.google.com.au/search?bi....64.psy-ab..21.7.965...0j0i13k1.0.Z8G5-YMUbXI

Voltage sensitive relay ... ^

12v sealed battery > https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...X&ved=0ahUKEwjI17TbqbPYAhVJrJQKHUs2D9wQsxgIKA
Then just connect a hardwire kit to the battery and go ! ( Maybe add a On Off switch to the hardwire kit ? )

Might be a plan for 2018 ...

Guess the hard part would be locating the 2nd battery ( mounting it securely ) ... And wiring it all ..
I still remember doing my reversing camera ... ( PITA )

If you are serious about your vehicle security , why mickey mouse it ?

Still looking for a DC - DC charger .. 12v to 12v ....

Ok something just crossed my aging brain !
Install a hardwire kit , it would charge the powerbank only when the ignition is turned on if sourced correctly ( power ) ...
So !
HWK puts power into powerbank when ignition is turned on ..
Power bank feeds cam ( Parking mode ) ( Motion detect / impact detect )

???? Could it be easier !

Finding a powerbank that does not turn off automatically ... ( This is the rub )
Hmmm , building a custom battery ?
Would need a USB out voltage booster to feed cam
Would need a 4.2v charger to recharge batteries ( 18650 ) ???
Or perhaps a large enough 1s Lipo to make life easier . ( Avoid balance charging multiple cells )

I think with some thought there are options ... So far the powerbank is the major problem as I see it ... ( That auto off function )

What you are talking about has already been posted. The BlackVue battery. There is no need to engineer something new https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01HFRH34Q

Too expensive : Blackvue ....

For about $70 I can do a Dual battery set up .. It's not every ones cup of tea ..
And at the moment I am looking at something I can put in the boot of my car ( Trunk to some ) .

( I like the hardwire kit powering a PowerBank that powers the cam as I can add a solar panel . )
Just need a PB without auto shut down . ( custom built battery = Easy enough )
Something for 2018 ...
Not everyone wants to DIY , or can DIY .. So a plug and play solution probably is worth having .
I just hard wired my rear cams after about a year of feeding from the sig lighter ..
No more sig lighter solutions for me ... ( Been there done that )

I have two outlets from the rear hardwire kit , I guess one could be used to charge a PB ..
+ just lay down a solar panel on the rear window shelf and have a dual input split er on the PB
Parking monitor / security cam would be on the rear window looking forward to catch perps looking into the car . ( etc )

More than one way to skin a parking monitor .
I really am looking at a nearly zero maintenance solution .. ( Self sustaining ) For myself .
So if I am upsetting people by spit balling ?

Those who know something well don't often ask questions about it- they just do it (and hopefully share their results with us). So when you see questions being asked it's best to recommend a solution based on what their apparent knowledge and abilities are. You can fine-tune the answers as you go :)

A stand-alone powerbank charged at home is probably the best solution for most folk
s mainly for reasons of safety, but also because it's simple and it works well ;) The more advanced options are almost endless in variety so that those so inclined can create something which is perfect for their specific needs. It's not rocket science but it does go beyond the average person's knowledge and abilities which is why I start with recommending the simple.

My "Dream System" will include big solar charging, a large deep-cycle wet cell battery, an additional alternator/regulator, and the means to switch the van from it's factory battery and charging to the added one in case the primary system fails whle I'm on the road :cool: My big old bus and my needs make this feasible for me and I have the needed skills and knowledge to do it, but it would be an insane choice for almost everyone else. My problem is that I don't have the money to do it all, but in time I can make it happen piece-by-piece and that's what I plan to do :rolleyes:

So to each their own as they may need it, and wishes for only happy endings to all :D

Phil

Are the two USB testers good ones? I would like to have one of these, I'll go to AliExpress and check them out.
I've just ordered a couple of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B071L1LTVV
I like that it shows accumulated Watt-Hours. With most others you have to estimate this by multiplying the Amp-Hours by voltage, but since the voltage might have been varying, an estimate is all you can get.
Also it has USB connectors that can be used either way round. Raises some concerns about reliability?, but will be handy.
They are available under various brand names, some coming direct from China being cheaper.

The Tqka lithium iron phosphate power bank arrived yesterday, as purchased here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B073QQPKVY
I note it was designed in the UK. Anyone heard of Welsky?...

Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 11.33.51.png

Otherwise, it works, fits in my armrest, fits in my glovebox, fits in the map storage net by my under-dash 12v socket, and fits the bill of what I need for parking protection. I think I'll take my front A119 power cable back to the armrest (12v socket in there) which will make it easier to switch from car power to PB power than messing around in the glovebox.

Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 11.33.34.png

I've just ordered a couple of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B071L1LTVV
I like that it shows accumulated Watt-Hours. With most others you have to estimate this by multiplying the Amp-Hours by voltage, but since the voltage might have been varying, an estimate is all you can get.
Also it has USB connectors that can be used either way round. Raises some concerns about reliability?, but will be handy.
They are available under various brand names, some coming direct from China being cheaper.

Hi Rajagra, it is probably OK, I don't know how many companies are making these testers but it is a LOT! The number of sellers is also very high. So basically there is no way of actually knowing. My strategy (if you can call it that) was to look at the number of orders, you see a lot from 100 to 1000, but I noticed one that had over 10,000 orders so that is where I ordered mine from! Only time will tell if it was a smart move but it seemed logical to me. I ordered the same type you did (functionally) from AliExpress.

Sorry Rajagra, I didn't give you all the information (sometimes I am 1 track minded). Here is a link to what I bought, another reason I bought from them is they are the manufacturer of lots of the items rebadged and sold by others on AliExpress, if you look on the left of your screen you will see a listing of all the other things they make.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/USB...-bf19-4faa-80db-6ede464bc66b&rmStoreLevelAB=5

I also purchased a short USB cable and set of alligator clips with USB female connector from them, that I think will come in handy with the USB device, Look down that list on the left till you see accessories, there you will see the small cable, very cheap price including shipping. Companies name is Hidance.

Last edited:
I signed in just yesterday with no problem and left a message for Nancy at Treeye. I'd try flushing your browser cache and maybe even rebooting your computer and trying again. And perhaps there was a glitch on their servers? So far in my experience AliExpress works like a Swiss watch. Their web site seems pretty slick and well polished and I've been pretty impressed at how well it has all worked for me. I guess there could be some sort of authentication issue?

It turned out to be the computer cache, I've never had that problem before in my life, but once I deleted the contents everything worked, thanks.

Too expensive : Blackvue ....

For about $70 I can do a Dual battery set up .. It's not every ones cup of tea ..
And at the moment I am looking at something I can put in the boot of my car ( Trunk to some ) .

( I like the hardwire kit powering a PowerBank that powers the cam as I can add a solar panel . )
Just need a PB without auto shut down . ( custom built battery = Easy enough )
Something for 2018 ...
Not everyone wants to DIY , or can DIY .. So a plug and play solution probably is worth having .
I just hard wired my rear cams after about a year of feeding from the sig lighter ..
No more sig lighter solutions for me ... ( Been there done that )

I have two outlets from the rear hardwire kit , I guess one could be used to charge a PB ..
+ just lay down a solar panel on the rear window shelf and have a dual input split er on the PB
Parking monitor / security cam would be on the rear window looking forward to catch perps looking into the car . ( etc )

More than one way to skin a parking monitor .
I really am looking at a nearly zero maintenance solution .. ( Self sustaining ) For myself .
So if I am upsetting people by spit balling ?

The problem with dual batteries is you need some kind of charging system to go along with it, and you also need a battery that can handle deep discharge. Then it's starting to get expensive

I've been searching for a simple USB power bank that can charge quickly from AC power. There seems to be no such device. They all charge relatively slowly. There is a Dell powerbank made for laptops with 2 USB ports. But it requires a Dell laptop charger, so $90 for the powerbank and another $50+ for the charger and it's getting expensive

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00PC9HG0Q

I've been searching for a simple USB power bank that can charge quickly from AC power. There seems to be no such device. They all charge relatively slowly. There is a Dell powerbank made for laptops with 2 USB ports. But it requires a Dell laptop charger, so $90 for the powerbank and another $50 for the charger and it's getting expensive

Unfortunately, lithium-ion battery chemistry really doesn't handle quick charging very well although that has improved in recent years. Deep discharge of lithium batteries is best avoided as well. They fare better when kept topped off regularly.
Often when I charge one of my 20,000 mAh power banks at say 2 amps using an AC charger it will take a good ten hours or more depending on how much I've allowed it to drain down.

I think you could find a much better deal than the Dell that will do the same thing. PowerADD offers good products at reasonable prices with excellent warranty.

I like their 32,000 mAh 9V-20V DC Output. It's over a hundred bucks but offers a lot of capacity and flexibility.

Unfortunately, lithium-ion battery chemistry really doesn't handle quick charging very well although that has improved in recent years. Deep discharge of lithium batteries is best avoided as well. They fare better when kept topped off regularly.
Often when I charge one of my 20,000 mAh power banks at say 2 amps using an AC charger it will take a good ten hours or more depending on how much I've allowed it to drain down.

I think you could find a much better deal than the Dell that will do the same thing. PowerADD offers good products at reasonable prices with excellent warranty.

I like their 32,000 mAh 9V-20V DC Output. It's over a hundred bucks but offers a lot of capacity and flexibility.

Thanks, that looks pretty good. How fast does it charge? It grinds my gears that NOT ONE of these power banks has a charging time listed. That should be a centrally important spec and is withheld. And no one seems to care. Reviews on Amazon don't say, no one asks the questions either.

The Dell doesn't say how fast it charges, but with a 90 watt 19v power adapter I'm guessing it's pretty quick

Edit: I sifted through the reviews and found ONE that mentions the charge time. Out of 345 reviews. One.

Powerful Travel Component.
By SeattleMooCows on January 21, 2015
Fantastic charge capacity. easily could charge my macbook air 10 times. takes 3 hours to fully charge. Voltage selection makes it very convenient for charging dif types of laptops. comes with all connectors EXCEPT MAC. see less

Last edited by a moderator:
It grinds my gears that NOT ONE of these power banks has a charging time listed. That should be a centrally important spec and is withheld.

Withheld? Have you ever purchased a car battery that stated how long it takes to charge?

Lithium batteries are a slow charging technology however one wishes for it to be different. Up to a point, you can speed it up with a higher amperage charger but the higher the charge current the shorter the battery life.

@jackalopephoto, I noticed that PowerADD has their 30,000 mAh lithium-polymer power bank on sale on Amazon for only $33.99 with free shipping.

They state that: "Quick Input: double input ports, 5V/4A total, it takes only about 9 hours to charge up an ultra-high capacity power bank despite 30000mAh." "High capacity power bank comes with 2 USB cables. The dual input port design will greatly shorten the time charging the power pack."

I've not seen a design like this before with two charging inputs but I assume it charges two cell banks separately and would require two - 2 amp chargers. (available at modest cost) It seems like a clever way to cut the charging time of such a large capacity battery by about half.

Anyway, it comes with a 24 month warranty and seems like a lot of power bank for the money.

I own a PowerAdd (20,000 mAh Li-PO) and have been impressed with it which is why I recommend the brand.

https://www.ipoweradd.com/collections/poweradd-power-bank/products/poweradd-power-bank-30000mah-ipad-iphone-portable-battery-charger

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01M5LKV4T

Last edited:
@jackalopephoto, I noticed that PowerADD has their 30,000 mAh lithium-polymer power bank on sale on Amazon for only $33.99 with free shipping.

They state that: "Quick Input: double input ports, 5V/4A total, it takes only about 9 hours to charge up an ultra-high capacity power bank despite 30000mAh." "High capacity power bank comes with 2 USB cables. The dual input port design will greatly shorten the time charging the power pack."

I've not seen a design like this before with two charging inputs but I assume it charges two cell banks separately and would require two - 2 amp chargers. (available at modest cost) It seems like a clever way to cut the charging time of such a large capacity battery by about half.

Anyway, it comes with a 24 month warranty and seem like a lot of power bank for the money.

I own a PowerAdd (20,000 mAh Li-PO) and have been impressed with it which is why I recommend the brand.

https://www.ipoweradd.com/collections/poweradd-power-bank/products/poweradd-power-bank-30000mah-ipad-iphone-portable-battery-charger

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5LKV4T/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=focuseak20-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B01M5LKV4T&linkId=8641379b34319277c6f00ebbec0f405d

That's a good option for a good price! I saw one Anker unit that is 20ah and has dual USB input but that one is $90

Back