Best Dashcam?

TieNN89

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Thinkware U1000, Blackvue DR900S-2CH
Hi there,

I currently have an iTronic ITB100HD but I'm after something that produces a better picture quality both day and night and the GT550W would be perfect IMO but the GPS add on is still not available with no ETA.

So what I'm after is a dash cam with the best picture quality in both day and night, parking mode and being able to switch off the mic, GPS preferably inbuilt but external is okay I guess. Also being able to switch off the GPS speed from being embedded into the video would be great but not a deal breaker.

Which dash cam would you guys suggest?

Nothing until the new A7L-A based camera's come out in a few months.
http://www.ambarella.com/products/autom ... tions.html

I thought the VICO-WF1 was a winner until I realized it had no GPS. The WiFi interfaces with a special iOS/Android app though and possibly adds the GPS data that way.(unclear) Read through this. (and check out the video quality)

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1474 <~~~~~~~~NEW Product out now! VICO-WF1, WIFI!!

This doesn't meet all you ask for, but it's the current state of the art. Again the A7L-A should bring products to market that finally do it "all"

I'm quite happy with my Mini 0801 to hold me over until then.

Last edited by a moderator:
The VICO-WF1 looks good but the app isn't something that's needed because really you just want to set and forget. If I did need to take footage off the camera I'd just take the card out and put it into my computer.

I would put a GPS as a much higher priority than an app like that to be honest.

TieNN89 said:
The VICO-WF1 looks good but the app isn't something that's needed because really you just want to set and forget. If I did need to take footage off the camera I'd just take the card out and put it into my computer.

I would put a GPS as a much higher priority than an app like that to be honest.

Too bad you live so far away from me (I'm from The Netherlands), otherwise I could maybe help you with a camera special made for us and available early - mid october, with the the Vicovation quality, but with much more options, like according your priorities, GPS, Smart parking monitor, LDWS, Stop & Go, etc.

We have made allready some videos with a test sample.
Recording through a windshield with heatingwire in it (except the on board video of tractorpulling), so a bit lesser quality, especially at nighttime, due the pattern of the heating wire.
Nighttime recording without xenon headlights (older car), only conventional lights.

If interesting for you, let us know. We could look at the possibilities.

Here some videos:
Daytime recording:

Nighttime recording:

Dashcam used as on board camera like GoPro:

Daytime recording from back in car to front, with high contrast:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jim
Price vs video and built quality vs options / specifications, for me I dont see at the moment anything better than Panorama2 from Powerucc.
Of course different people - different needs.
You can also wait couple of month and see for new generation Ambarella A7 cpu based dash cams, or similar ones coming out at the end of this year. For sure there will be few good dash cams out then, but not known yet if price vs what you get as a whole package will be OK for you. Generally new technologies cost fortunes when they first released because of lack of competitors. But we have to wait and see.

I thought I replied to this but apparently not

Anyway so I've decided to wait awhile longer till those new gen cpu come out and see what comes out.

Just saw a few days ago that the GT550W with GPS is coming and now has a date set for tomorrow.
Hopefully it does happen and I might get one and try it out until something better comes along.

Back