Best Rear Facing cam for Hatchbacks?

Neat Job! Please can I ask what you used to attach the camera?

Thanks - that's some strong looking tape. ;)

Hi. I'm a happy RX300 owner - front faced. Now I want to add a rear facing cam on my hatchback. This cam will serve primarily as a reversing camera, so I need an LCD monitor in the front. My questions are:

- which camera (small, cheap, no need for 1080p or GPS ..., must have live view video output, wide lens)
- HDMI or svideo?
- which LCD monitor (can be small: 4-5", cheap, no need for touch, no need for lilliput or similar, ...)

I was looking at mobius, A118, Mini 0801 ... but it could be cheaper, as I don't need LCD on the camera itself (or 1080p or GPS or rocket sciency options). Is there a cheaper camera with wide lens and video out (optional: HDMI)?

I've been researching a bit. I came to a conclusion that HDMI is a "no-go". At least for now. HDMI Monitors a way to expensive.
I've found a cheap one with a normal video input:

Now I'm not sure which cameras have "live view" video output. Even the extensive camera tests don't mention this.
Does my RX300 have AV out (non HDMI)? Maybe with some adapter cables? What is the usual resolution with a chinch (svideo?) cable?

AV out is SD only, live view is not supported over HDMI

You are talking about rx300 or other cameras? As far as I know at least A118 can output HDMI video while recording. I'm not sure about the others.
So when talking about a non-HDMI AV out it's always only SD quality?
Do AV out capable cameras output video while recording or is it usually only for replays?

AV out is only SD, not possible to be any higher, the live view is always over AV

A118 has no HDMI output, also I've yet to see any model that gives live output from HDMI, the only reason most cheaper cameras have HDMI output is due to the design it's the easiest way to be able to do the lens focus adjustment during assembly, cameras like the A118 that have a separate CMOS assembly can be put in a jig to do the focus and don't need an HDMI port

My mistake, I meant 0801 not A118. In this video (at 19 minute) you can see HDMI real time video from a 0801, while the camera is recording:

Thanks for the "cheap camera HDMI" clarification. I decided to skip the HDMI version for now. Maybe for the next car :).

I still don't know about AV out (SD). Do all cameras with this option show live view while recording? eg. mobius or A118?

Edit: I just found out that mobius has this function. It can record and output SD video at the same time. I'm not sure about A118 yet.

Edit2: Saw your (jokiin) post over at A118 threat, that indeed the AV out works even when recording. I think I'll go for the A118. Now, what cable is needed for the A118 AV-OUT ?

Last edited:
My mistake, I meant 0801 not A118. In this video (at 19 minute) you can see HDMI real time video from a 0801, while the camera is recording:

although it outputs over HDMI it drops down to SD resolution, this may only work in certain firmware versions so you'd need to confirm how it works in any current version, the one reviewed here is a very old version that records in TS format, hasn't been used on these for well over a year now

although it outputs over HDMI it drops down to SD resolution, this may only work in certain firmware versions so you'd need to confirm how it works in any current version, the one reviewed here is a very old version that records in TS format, hasn't been used on these for well over a year now
Okay, so the 0801 HDMI out is more or less an exception. It's still a 720p output, which is not bad if you have a 720p capable small LCD around. :)

SD is the better solution. At least price/performance-wise. A118 will do nicely.
Is the video output widescreen (16:9)?
Would a monitor like this be OK (480*272):

Okay, so the 0801 HDMI out is more or less an exception. It's still a 720p output, which is not bad if you have a 720p capable small LCD around. :)

SD is the better solution. At least price/performance-wise. A118 will do nicely.
Is the video output widescreen (16:9)?
Would a monitor like this be OK (480*272):

it's not 720p, it's 576i (720 pixels wide) so yes it's widescreen but it's standard definition

it's not 720p, it's 576i (720 pixels wide) so yes it's widescreen but it's standard definition
Missed that, thanks for the correction.

I'm still not sure about the LCD monitor or AV cable.
Is any stereo 3.5mm to (2x?) RCA plug for A118 video out ok? Or are there some special cables (read something about connector tips)?

There's no standard that everyone uses so not sure where to suggest you get a cable from, talk to the seller, if they're keen enough they'll get you the details

To clarify (somewhat), here's my email to foxoffer:
- what cable do I need for video out?
- what are the video out fps, resolution and aspect ratio?
- is it compatible with a monitor like this one?

This is the answer I received:
Normally the AV out can support the Monitor you showed to me, but we are not sure, because we didn't it with that monitor.
The resolution is 1080P 30fps.

A bit confusing and lacking info, but let's say this should work.

Back