Best v3 settings

Version 2.6 is not a modification of firmware 2.5.
This is a test firmware from Viofo: FWA119V3_V2.6T_HDR_Auto.
Do not mislead people.

I honestly thought it was a modification given that it's only appeared as a non Viofo link and the official link is still 2.5

Please do not start throwing accusations, again, at any opinion or post you don't like. I know why you are continually targeting me and it's boring.

You have now posted it's a Viofo beta, that should be enough without the derogatory comments.

Last edited:
Please do not start throwing accusations, again, at any opinion or post you don't like. I know why you are continually targeting me and it's boring.
Why do you think that I wanted to offend you?
I just corrected you by writing that the firmware is v2.6T from Viofo, since there is a certain category
of users who use only official firmware and will never install modified ones.
You, as an experienced forum user, should have noticed this.

Wow. Dashcam wars. Who'dhavethunkit. It's like a VW owner wanting to deflect to Ford & daring to say so on a Golf forum.

Let's just get along people's :)

I tried 2304 x 1296 30fps and it's my favorite resolution now, believe it or not.

Apart from the smaller file size of 459 kB per 3 minute file (against 576 kB for 2560 x 1440 30fps), which stores more files onto my smallish 64 GB sdcard, I find the image quality crisper in light and dark conditions. It is purely subjective and there may be no technical explanation for the better image quality that I perceive at this resolution. Anyway, I like it :geek:

Bitrate: medium
Software: V2.6T_20211203_HDR_automatic

Last edited:
I liked 60fps when I ran a mod 2.5 version. The video seemed slightly smoother and 2.5 colour was good.

It was only when I tried to grab a screenshot that I ran into problems.

Just to let you know, my A119 V3 came supplied with the v2.6 firmware.

I've been experimenting with the settings, and even the standard settings out of the box look good to me during daytime.

Can I ask, why is there a timer to turn HDR on and off? I would have thought it would be best to leave HDR on all the time, or are there issues with it under certain lighting conditions?

Can I ask, why is there a timer to turn HDR on and off? I would have thought it would be best to leave HDR on all the time, or are there issues with it under certain lighting conditions?

HDR will help you capture license plate numbers at night, particularly with European sized plates, however HDR has been shown to create poorer quality image captures during daylight hours, thus the timer to set up HDR for optimal performance.

HDR will help you capture license plate numbers at night, particularly with European sized plates, however HDR has been shown to create poorer quality image captures during daylight hours, thus the timer to set up HDR for optimal performance.
Thanks, that makes sense. I've tried HDR in the past on mobile phones and it usually works better with a still camera and subject.
The blurriness with moving subjects makes sense as it's esentially blending multiple exposures into a single frame.
I've not set the timer to turn off HDR during the day, and on at night, so hopefully this will be the best of both worlds.

I've also install the CPL filter on my camera also which does block a little light, are there any recommended settings for the CPL filter, or does the AE metering take care of the loss of light?

Thanks, that makes sense. I've tried HDR in the past on mobile phones and it usually works better with a still camera and subject.
The blurriness with moving subjects makes sense as it's esentially blending multiple exposures into a single frame.
I've not set the timer to turn off HDR during the day, and on at night, so hopefully this will be the best of both worlds.

I've also install the CPL filter on my camera also which does block a little light, are there any recommended settings for the CPL filter, or does the AE metering take care of the loss of light?

Unfortunately, there is a flaw in the way HDR was implemented on the SoC on the V3 that causes a serious issue during daylight video capture. HDR works by using the 60 fps capability of the camera to capture two 30 fps images simultaneously, with one image optimized for the shadows and the other optimized for the bright highlights and then superimposing them together as a single frame (as you mentioned). On the A119 V3 these images end up as an out of registration double exposure rather than a single image in each frame and this causes a kind of "ghosting" effect. The images appear to be captured consecutively rather than simultaneously. This same effect happens to facilitate the ability to capture license plates at night if the numbers and letters are large enough and the plates are reflective enough.

Here is a screenshot I posted a couple of years ago that demonstrates what I'm talking about. Notice that the hood (bonnet) of my truck does not suffer from the effect because as far as the camera is concerned it is not moving. Still, the dynamic range of the image is well controlled for highlights and shadows, so HDR is actually doing what it is supposed to do even with the flaw.

V3_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

There will always be at least some price to pay for using a CPL on a dash cam because it will decrease the amount of light entering the lens thus increasing motion blur to some degree. The AE will handle the adjustments of course, so no change in settings are required for the CPL.

V2.6T_(20211203)_HDR_Auto
2560x1080
High bitrate
HDR_Auto (Day=Off, Night=On)
EV=-1,3
30fps

I don't understand how can you read licence plate in such speed. Here is how it looks on my camera if I go 20 km/h and opposing car maybe 30 km/h - it looks worse than your screenshot at 100 and it was not even that dark. HDR clearly worked, as the plate is somehow readable, but still, if I go more that 50 I have no chance to read any plate at night.

I am using newest software and my exposure was at 0, but apart from that my settings are the same. I just don't get it, do you think it makes sense to try 2.6T? Or maybe even 1.3 and no HDR?

Attachments

• viofoa119_zoom.png
    viofoa119_zoom.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • viofoa119.png
    viofoa119.png
    2 MB · Views: 21
I've frequently found the same

No matter which firmware and which settings I just can't reproduce some of the screenshots posted here

Back