Blackvue DR-590-2CH and DR 590W-2CH Image Quality

Hurricane56

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently purchased a Blackvue DR-590-2ch as a refurbished unit from @BlackboxMyCar . After getting the camera installed and running for some time, I inquired with them about the overall video quality and sharpness of the camera. Here are a couple of sample videos:

Blackvue DR590-2ch

I realized that the angle needed adjustment, but if you notice the video quality it appears really soft. Following a couple of emails, Blackboxmycar agreed to upgrade me to the DR590w-2ch, which seems to have the same soft image quality. I’ve been going back and forth with them about how the replacement camera has the same issues, but they’re only offering me a return and not a replacement camera. The thing that’s a little annoying about the whole situation is the customer service rep keeps telling me that I can’t expect very high quality on the 590 series. I have a reasonable level of experience with dash cams, my 7 year old Dr380 actually looks a lot better than the two 590 series cameras. In addition, my footage quality looks nothing like any of the samples from various user reviews on YouTube. If you take a look at the replacement DR-590w-2ch, would you return this unit or am I expecting too much from a “budget” dash cam?

Blackvue DR590w-2ch

I have said this before. That image looks digitally up scaled to fill in or mimic a bigger format and you are left with a horrendous picture quality. To me that is unacceptable. Sorry to say that you are not the only one complaining about the same very issue. Hopefully you can get a better camera from them or at least your money back.

Thanks for your input, any other ideas as to why the image is so terrible besides scaling? It’s just strange that sample footage from various reviews looks nothing like the footage from my cameras. When reviewing the videos, the rear camera footage is significantly better than the front. The links I supplied were uploaded direct from the camera files, with no post production.

Thanks for your input, any other ideas as to why the image is so terrible besides scaling? It’s just strange that sample footage from various reviews looks nothing like the footage from my cameras. When reviewing the videos, the rear camera footage is significantly better than the front. The links I supplied were uploaded direct from the camera files, with no post production.
That is good you came to the forums as you can have a lot of help from the experienced dashcam members and you will learn a lot from them. Just as I am.

I don't own or have never owned a Blackvue cam, there fore I'm not familiar with the settings on that camera but several other members here in the forums have. My suggestion is if you could post a list of the settings you are using. someone will compare with theirs and possible help you to achieve better results.
Another thing I would like to point out is that the first video you posted, to me it looks like the lens is out of focus and if that is the case, there is nothing on the settings can be done to correct that. The lens would have to be manually adjusted and it is not a simple task to do, something I wouldn't suggest you messing with as that will automatically void your guarantee.

Back