BlackVue DR3500 w/ Power Magic shutting down...

2010GenCoupe

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all, I recently just reinstalled my BlackVue D3500 with Power Magic Pro in my 2014 Hyundai Elantra Limited. The camera setup was previously installed and worked flawlessly with my Genesis Coupe, and served its purpose with the unfortunate accident I had with the car. Fast forward 2 months, I am now in my new Elantra, and wanted to set everything up again.

I wired it all up the way it's supposed to be, problem is the camera keeps shutting off after a short period after parking the car. At first for my constant 12v I was using the interior light fuse and ended up sitting in the car for about 5 minutes after I had powered down and locked it. The power magic simply loses power after 5 minutes or so. I then re wired it to work off of the door lock fuse assuming this would be better. Worked quite some time but after I left it over night, I found it shut down in the morning.

I have my Power Magic set to turn off at 11.8v, infinity time. Could the small battery in the Elantra really be drawing so much power from the setup that the Magic Pro is shutting itself down? Or could something be faulty here? Any other recommendations on where to wire the constant 12v to?

I have a Power Magic Pro Plus (2 ports), that I moved from one car to another. In both my cars, rather than tapping into a circuit that has a job (especially one that has to do with doors opening and closing and lights, etc...) I took my meter (or you can use a test light), to find an empty ACC and an empty always on slot in the fuse box an just used those. This has worked very well for me. Now on my Wife's Audi, fuse blocks are only installed for the exact options that are on the car, so I had to tap on the reverse sensors.

Hopefully you have some empties that will eliminate the door/light factor. If different and dedicated circuits do not help, I would invest in a better battery, but I don't think you will have to. I also think that the PMP could be a little sensitive as when mine was on 12v, it would shut down even when the car was running sometimes. I guess each car is different and there may be a voltage drop if some fan or other greedy system kicks on for a second. Has never happened again after going to 11.8, so you should be covered there...

Hopefully you have some empties that will eliminate the door/light factor. If different and dedicated circuits do not help, I would invest in a better battery, but I don't think you will have to. I also think that the PMP could be a little sensitive as when mine was on 12v, it would shut down even when the car was running sometimes. I guess each car is different and there may be a voltage drop if some fan or other greedy system kicks on for a second. Has never happened again after going to 11.8, so you should be covered there...

Thanks for the response Number400. I did end up switching the taps to some empties in my fuse panel, currently a 20amp constant for the yellow wire and I still have the same issue. Am I using too large of a fuse supply? Should I try one of the 7.5-15amp fuse slots? Checked on it today, it seemed to have ran for about 1-2 hours before shutting down by itself. I got in the car, and was only able to turn the BlackVue on by disconnecting power for a minute then plugging it back in. Drove for about 40 minutes stopping at a couple of stores here and there, and the camera shut itself off while I was driving. So confused on what is going on here.

Hmm, bad ground or something? Loose wire? Can you temporarily eliminate the PMP and just run on the accessory port to see if you get any reboots?

Am I using too large of a fuse supply?
The "rating" of the fuse has nothing to do with how long it is powered. A lot of cars have fuses in timed slots. Perhaps you have picked one of those. The brake circuit "used" to be a popular source for always on power.. but perhaps in new cars even that circuit is powered off after a timed interval of no activity.
I am guessing the PMP is failing.. or in fact your battery is getting old.. or your charging system is not bringing the battery up to maximum charge (voltage)

Back