Blackvue DR590X Parking Mode/Hardwire Issue/False Positives/Impact Detected

wwwdash

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,
My issue is that when I had my dashcam powered up using the cigarette lighter power, everything worked perfect in Parking mode. Meaning, when I turned off the car and shut the door I would come back and get in and I would never hear "an impact was detected" unless there truly was an impact. (note that my cigarette lighter power has power on at all times). Fast forward to me buying a hard wire kit so I could ditch the cigarette lighter, problem is now, when I turn off the ignition, and before I can even exit the vehicle, the act of me closing the door triggers an "impact was detected".

My question is how would my cigarette lighter power, be different than me hard wiring the dashcam. My girl also has the exact same issue. Blackvue told me me this was a known issue, and they "MIGHT" release a firmware to address the issue (they did address this issue with the DR750 model and up)
My (annoying) work around is to wait until everybody has exited the vehicle and then turn the engine off and exit quickly. If i do this before parking mode is activated I can avoid a false positive. Same for when I return to the vehicle, I will open the door and turn the key to the "on" position to listen for impacts detected, BEFORE opening the trunk to put in groceries etc.

Has anybody had this issue with the hardwire kit vs just plugging in the cigarette lighter for power, I'm having trouble understanding how these 2 power sources could be different.
I know that the hardwire kit has a wire for BATT+ and ACC+, whereas using the cigarette lighter only has BATT+ (but it worked perfectly) unless of course it wasn't going into parking mode while using the Cigarette lighter power, and thus I never had this issue?
Any thoughts from any of you with a similar issue. I'll be honest, I highly doubt Blackvue cares to address this issue, even though they know about it, from my emails with them.
Thanks!

@wwwdash I believe that when you power the DR590X with the cigarette lighter power adapter, it goes into parking mode after a 5 minute delay with the car being motionless. The sensitivity settings for parking mode are usually set much higher (more sensitive) and normal driving mode sensitivity settings are far less sensitive. There's a five minute window where you still have the driving mode sensitivity settings active as you exit the car.

When powered by the hardwiring kit, the DR590X will go into parking mode as soon as the accessory power being fed to it via the hardwiring adapter is turned off (before you exit the car). The more sensitive parking mode sensitivity settings are already active when you exit the car causing the "impact detected" events when powered in this manner.

You might be able to decrease the parking mode sensitivity settings to not alert when closing the doors, but of course that might make it miss an actual event when in parking mode.

By the way, hello neighbor! I see you set your location to Placerville. I'm in Cameron Park.

I think you are correct, I wish they would update the firmware to buffer the parking mode with hardwire. I guess it slipped through the cracks...i'm hopeful they might fix it one day, but not holding my breath :) Hello neighbor, somebody vandalized my jeep at sly park so now i have a camera system. Thanks for replying. I think I will play around with the sensitivity and see if I can get it to not trigger with the door slamming, then again, it might work against me.

@wwwdash I believe that when you power the DR590X with the cigarette lighter power adapter, it goes into parking mode after a 5 minute delay with the car being motionless. The sensitivity settings for parking mode are usually set much higher (more sensitive) and normal driving mode sensitivity settings are far less sensitive. There's a five minute window where you still have the driving mode sensitivity settings active as you exit the car.

When powered by the hardwiring kit, the DR590X will go into parking mode as soon as the accessory power being fed to it via the hardwiring adapter is turned off (before you exit the car). The more sensitive parking mode sensitivity settings are already active when you exit the car causing the "impact detected" events when powered in this manner.

You might be able to decrease the parking mode sensitivity settings to not alert when closing the doors, but of course that might make it miss an actual event when in parking mode.

By the way, hello neighbor! I see you set your location to Placerville. I'm in Cameron Park.
Can I ask how you actually know that the parking mode behaves differently between hard wired and cigarette lighter power? Is this just from doing your own personal testing? It really pisses me off that they are different setting for each one. Sounds like a mistake on their part.

Can I ask how you actually know that the parking mode behaves differently between hard wired and cigarette lighter power? Is this just from doing your own personal testing? It really pisses me off that they are different setting for each one. Sounds like a mistake on their part.
Here's the section in the DR590X online user docs that it briefly discusses the parking mode behavior of the dashcam: DR590X - Parking mode recording

With the release of the "X" series dashcams (except DR750X-2CH LTE Plus), BlackVue updated the 12-volt power cabling to the dashcam to have 3-wires (battery, accessory and ground). The newer power plug connector that plugs into the dashcam will have two outer sections to it while the older one only has one outer section to it.

While the connector was updated to supply battery (unswitched) and accessory (switched) power and ground to the dashcam, the power port / cigarette lighter adapter supplies power to both power connectors on the power plug connector that plugs into the dashcam. The new 3-wire hardwiring harness provided with the X series cameras that support native parking mode, allows you to install that 3-wire harness so the dashcam can have access to the vehicle's battery (unswitched) and accessory (switched) power and of course ground. When the accessory power is turned off (and parking mode is enabled in the dashcam settings), the dashcam now knows to enter into parking mode. When accessory power is restored by starting/turning on the vehicle's ignition switch, the dashcam will see that accessory power has been restored and the dashcam will exit parking mode.

If you power the X series dashcam by a power source that does not switch off and on the accessory power (like the BlackVue provided cigarette lighter power adapter), the dashcam will still enter parking mode (if enabled in the firmware settings) after the vehicle has been stationary for 5 minutes. In fact, this motion based method of entering/exiting parking mode is still active even if you have it hardwired with the 3-wire hardwiring cable. Prior to the change in the power cabling, the only method of entering/exiting parking mode was the motion based approached.

Some of the other dashcams that I'm reviewing have a firmware setting "Parking Mode Delay Timer". It's either "Off" or "90 seconds". This is a way to delay the dashcam from entering parking mode until the 90 second timer has expired after turning off the accessory power to the dashcam. The BlackVue dashcams don't have a setting like that one.

Here's the section in the DR590X online user docs that it briefly discusses the parking mode behavior of the dashcam: DR590X - Parking mode recording

With the release of the "X" series dashcams (except DR750X-2CH LTE Plus), BlackVue updated the 12-volt power cabling to the dashcam to have 3-wires (battery, accessory and ground). The newer power plug connector that plugs into the dashcam will have two outer sections to it while the older one only has one outer section to it.

While the connector was updated to supply battery (unswitched) and accessory (switched) power and ground to the dashcam, the power port / cigarette lighter adapter supplies power to both power connectors on the power plug connector that plugs into the dashcam. The new 3-wire hardwiring harness provided with the X series cameras that support native parking mode, allows you to install that 3-wire harness so the dashcam can have access to the vehicle's battery (unswitched) and accessory (switched) power and of course ground. When the accessory power is turned off (and parking mode is enabled in the dashcam settings), the dashcam now knows to enter into parking mode. When accessory power is restored by starting/turning on the vehicle's ignition switch, the dashcam will see that accessory power has been restored and the dashcam will exit parking mode.

If you power the X series dashcam by a power source that does not switch off and on the accessory power (like the BlackVue provided cigarette lighter power adapter), the dashcam will still enter parking mode (if enabled in the firmware settings) after the vehicle has been stationary for 5 minutes. In fact, this motion based method of entering/exiting parking mode is still active even if you have it hardwired with the 3-wire hardwiring cable. Prior to the change in the power cabling, the only method of entering/exiting parking mode was the motion based approached.

Some of the other dashcams that I'm reviewing have a firmware setting "Parking Mode Delay Timer". It's either "Off" or "90 seconds". This is a way to delay the dashcam from entering parking mode until the 90 second timer has expired after turning off the accessory power to the dashcam. The BlackVue dashcams don't have a setting like that one.
Great explanation! - Question: didn't Blackvue recently change the firmware on the DR750/900 to insert a delay so that people weren't getting tons of false positives due to door closures? If so, how long?

Great explanation! - Question: didn't Blackvue recently change the firmware on the DR750/900 to insert a delay so that people weren't getting tons of false positives due to door closures? If so, how long?
Thanks for pointing out that change. I had forgotten about it with all of the dashcam testing I've been doing lately. It looks like there is a 3 minute delay period.

Firmware Update BlackVue DR900X, DR750X Series v1.007

[Firmware Update] Improved Parking Mode Notifications for DR900X and DR750X​

Dear BlackVue Users,
We recently released firmware updates for DR900X and DR750X Series dashcams. These updates focus on the built-in Parking Mode feature of those models. When hardwiring those models to use the built-in voltage monitoring feature, Parking Mode activates as soon as the ignition of the vehicle is turned off. As users would leave their vehicle, the vibration caused by closing their vehicle’s door would create Parking Mode Events. To reduce the chances of false positives, we added a 3-minute window of time during which Events are ignored from:
  • Notifications sent to user in case of Cloud connectivity.
  • Parking Mode Voice Alerts, which play when the dashcam exits Parking Mode.

Models Concerned:​

• DR900X-1CH/2CH v.1.007
  • DR750X-1CH/2CH v.1.007

What’s New:​

Version 1.007 (2021-07-12):
  1. Parking Mode Impact Notifications scenario update (when using ignition-based Parking Mode, i.e. with the built-in voltage monitor): to reduce risks of false positives (due to closing a door when leaving the vehicle, etc.), the dashcam will skip sending notifications or playing impact-related voiced alerts for impacts that occur within 3 minutes of Parking Mode activation.
  2. Added support for empty space characters in Cloud Hotspot SSID names.
※ Compatible software versions:
BlackVue App: Android v3.19 / iOS v3.21 and up.
BlackVue Viewer: Windows v3.04 / Mac (SD Card Viewer only) v3.05 and up.

Of course those using the DR750X LTE or the DR750X LTE Plus get a 5 - 10 minute delay before entering parking mode since those cams don't have the built-in voltage control and require the Power Magic Pro. - I think I would prefer 90 seconds.

Back