Blackvue DR750X-2CHPlus, gosh do I have questions but who can help?

Hisgirl777

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a list of basic questions and after spending all morning researching, I still can't find the answers. I"m hoping someone can answer using elementary language, a video (or cartoons) I don't read instruction manuals well, and need more of a visual. So the simpler the language the better. I truly truly appreciate your help.

1. Hardwired 750X-plus 2 ch yesterday.

2. Might have updated the firmware. Spent a lot of time hooking into the BV wifi or my house wifi, while sitting in the car. How can I check what firmware it is currently using? And do I have to be sitting out in the car to do this? AND...does the car have to be turned on?

3. I'm driving down the road, suddenly! I see a bad wreck occuring right in front of me. I stop. What do I do now if I want the recording to continue for some time now? If I turn off the car, the recording stops? Maybe I want to keep recording. What do I do? I'll change the status to 'I see two bigfoots on the side of the road' and i want to record them, until I want to stop. How do I best manage this? My car needs to stay running, right?

4. Help me understand manual recording. There seems to be a waviing of the hand, but which end of the camera? What setting is suppose to be set for this? And..most important...if I'm driving and driving and my camera is recording and recording, why would I ever need to do a manual recording?

5. I saw that there are 1 min clips all running together. Where do I change this to longer clips in the setting?

6. I think that is all for now. I wish there was a class I could attend. So. Much. To. Understand.

7. Thank you. :)

There is a details section in the cloud app (3 dots on the right) that will tell you the firmware version.

you have to wire your camera straight to your fuse box or provide another power source if you want the camera to record after you turn the ignition off.

I don’t like electronics draining my get home battery.

2. Might have updated the firmware. Spent a lot of time hooking into the BV wifi or my house wifi, while sitting in the car. How can I check what firmware it is currently using? And do I have to be sitting out in the car to do this? AND...does the car have to be turned on?

You don't have to be in the car, nor does it have to be running. Cam must be awake with its wifi on, and you must be in range to connect to the cam's internal wifi. If the cam is hardwired, starting the car is generally the easiest way to turn it on, but you can then turn it off and walk away if you like.

Connect directly to the cam with your device (phone, iPad, whatever).

Open the app. Hit the big "Connect to camera" button (upper right, with the big wifi symbol).

Your cam's page will open. Hit the gear icon in the upper right of the screen. You'll be looking at two options: Firmware settings and Firmware upgrade (FOTA). There's a blue band on top of those with the current firmware loaded.

You didn't say if you're an IOS or Android user. There are complete sections for both in the manual.

This is Verbatim from page 53 of the manual:

1630860658861.png

3. I'm driving down the road, suddenly! I see a bad wreck occurring right in front of me. I stop. What do I do now if I want the recording to continue for some time now? If I turn off the car, the recording stops? Maybe I want to keep recording. What do I do? I'll change the status to 'I see two bigfoots on the side of the road' and i want to record them, until I want to stop. How do I best manage this? My car needs to stay running, right?

You didn't say, but I'm assuming that since you went to the trouble of hardwiring the cam that you're using parking mode.

If you stop and leave the car running, the cam will continue to record normally for 5 minutes, then go into parking mode due to the cam not sensing movement. It will then operate in whatever parking mode you have set up. If your priority is to be prepared to catch further action in real-time (as if you were driving), use motion-activated parking mode. As long as there is motion in the cam's field of view, it'll keep recording. At an accident scene, there probably will be.

If you turn off the car, the cam will go into parking mode after about a 5 second delay. You'll then get whatever type of recording you have configured for parking mode right away. If you see Bigfoot in this mode and wanna snap him, you could try to initiate a manual recording, I honestly don't know if it can be done from parking mode, never tried it.

4. Help me understand manual recording. There seems to be a waving of the hand, but which end of the camera? What setting is suppose to be set for this? And..most important...if I'm driving and driving and my camera is recording and recording, why would I ever need to do a manual recording?

Page 11 of the manual shows where the proximity sensor is. Forward left-hand side (looking forward) of the cam body. You hold your hand over it for a second and it will execute a manual recording or turn on audio recording (Note, page 19 of the manual).

Personally, I hate this. I much prefer the Garmin voice command capability for something like this. If I'm turning, shifting, or just wanna keep both hands on the wheel, the opportunity is easily missed by having to wave at the sensor. And if you don't do it right the first time, you definitely missed it. Cool tech, but not really practical if you're focused on driving and not joining the accident yourself. That said, I keep mine on manual recording because I keep voice recording on by default.

To set it up, Firmware settings > System > Proximity sensor. If you have the audio alert set (Firmware settings > System >Voice guidance, Changing recording mode slider), it'll announce that it's starting a manual recording so you know the sensor saw your hand wave.

While on that topic, don't wave, hold your hand close over the entire end of the cam for at least a second. Wave too fast or too far away and it might not register.

Two reasons to use it while driving: It'll start a new 1-minute recording that will run for a full minute without the transition to the next clip so it won't miss anything, and if you have cloud upload turned on for manual events, it'll immediately get saved to the cloud so you can't overwrite it if you don't have event files locked enabled (Firmware settings > Basic >Recording, Lock event files slider).

5. I saw that there are 1 min clips all running together. Where do I change this to longer clips in the setting?

You can't. One-minute clips are standard and not user-changeable. You can change (Firmware settings > Basic > Video) video compression (CODEC), Image quality, HDR on/off, and front and rear recording brightness. Thats it.

Available selections for options that can be changed are on page 77 of the manual.

Last edited:
@

KANNINA 2.0

Okay, that was a huge help, thank you thank you.

Um...what is this 70+ page manual you speak of? I have the Quick start guide which came with it. I would indeed like to download a more detailed manual but I saw a bullet point section at BV but not a manual download.

Okay, a couple of questions.

1. I do have the current firmware so I did get that done correctly.

2. I have an iphone, I hardwired it in professionally, and I have park mode turned off because I don't really need it. However, if I go up into our crime infested city, can I just turn on park mode, and then what setting for timer or voltage should I use?

3. I'm a little paranoid about my car battery as I have a subaru outback and they are notorious for battery issues.

4. I realized a reason for a manual recording would be because there wasn't a wreck or event recording...you just saw something you wanted a video of (ie: the bigfoot scenario) I think I need to do some tests to see this. Here's my question. I'm in my car, I hold my hand up to the left side, may or may not have a voice thing say something (??) to start a manual recording. Now, I'm back home. Do I connect my phone to the dashcam via its wifi to download the recordiing or is that recording automatically sitting in the cloud waiting for me to see it?

Blackvue’s website is a better source for information than the manual they provide.

Um...what is this 70+ page manual you speak of? I have the Quick start guide which came with it. I would indeed like to download a more detailed manual but I saw a bullet point section at BV but not a manual download.

https://blackvue.com/downloads. Scroll about halfway down, find your cam, and grab the PDF manual.

2. I have an iphone, I hardwired it in professionally, and I have park mode turned off because I don't really need it. However, if I go up into our crime infested city, can I just turn on park mode, and then what setting for timer or voltage should I use?

3. I'm a little paranoid about my car battery as I have a subaru outback and they are notorious for battery issues.

Yes, you can turn parking mode on or off whenever you like (Firmware settings > Basic > Recording > Parking mode recording). I'd recommend leaving it on all the time, though, just to avoid the hassle and delay of getting on the cam's wifi to turn it on when you have somewhere to be, or forgetting it altogether. You can control what you see in the viewer app and what kind of video gets uploaded to the cloud so you don't waste cellular bandwidth, so it's not a big concern.

In Firmware Settings > System, you'll see the the Battery protection slider, and settings for Cut-off timer and Low voltage cut-off.

You could be an electrical engineer for all I know, so not trying to insult your intelligence...

In a nutshell:

The average passenger vehicle has a 12-volt electrical system and produces electrical power at approximately 14 volts when the car is running. The excess power charges the battery while the vehicle is running as well as runs all things electrically powered. When you turn the vehicle off, the system voltage returns to a static 12 volts, the battery stops charging, and then begins discharging as it powers whatever is still connected to it. The available battery/system voltage slowly drops until the battery is eventually dead.

Obviously, you want enough battery voltage available to start the car when you return, so you need a way to prevent whatever draws on the electrical system--no matter what it is--from running the battery voltage so low that the starter won't engage. Any hardwired dashcam, left running long enough, will discharge your battery enough for this to happen unless you put measures in place to prevent it. This is also why no manufacturer's built-in wifi access point will stay powered on when you turn the car off.

BV used to prevent their cams from killing your battery with a device called "Power Magic Pro," which was an add-on in the hard-wired setup to allow you to perform the functions that the X-series dashcams now have built into their firmware. They did this because the PMP devices were prone to problems and failure. A lot. So they got rid of the device altogether.

Generally speaking, 12-volt car batteries don't like living much below 12 volts at all. Going much below 11.5 to 12 volts for any length of time, and/or completely discharging the battery multiple times will have detrimental effects on battery life and performance. If you start with a weak/old battery to begin with, you're already behind the power curve (pun intended).

I wouldn't set my Low voltage cut-off any lower than 12 volts. You can see that the firmware won't let you go lower than 11.8 in any case, but if you're already worried about a finicky battery or electrical system, I'd go with no lower than 12. There have been lots of testers here that have shown that the firmware settings are accurate enough to trust.

4. I realized a reason for a manual recording would be because there wasn't a wreck or event recording...you just saw something you wanted a video of (ie: the bigfoot scenario) I think I need to do some tests to see this. Here's my question. I'm in my car, I hold my hand up to the left side, may or may not have a voice thing say something (??) to start a manual recording. Now, I'm back home. Do I connect my phone to the dashcam via its wifi to download the recording or is that recording automatically sitting in the cloud waiting for me to see it?

Honestly, you're better off using your cel phone in the bigfoot scenario. It's a better device all the way around for that kinda thing if you have the opportunity to get it out in time.

If not, there are four ways to get the videos off your cam and onto something you can view them with.

First, you can directly connect your phone to the dashcam via its internal wifi and view vids that way. When you initially connect you'll see all the available videos, and you can filter the view by video type, by date, and select them for download to your device's internal memory (save them to your phone) from there.

This is the way to go if you need to grab a vid to show to a LEO at the side of the road.

Second, you can physically pull the card from the cam and use a card reader to copy the files to your PC or some other device, or read directly from the card.

This is one of the two best ways to get the raw data directly onto your PC to archive it or view it with the BV PC/Mac viewer software. Physically pulling the card from a BV card is a PITA though, so most any other option will be preferable.

Third, you can connect to the cloud and get them that way.

On your device, open the BlackVue app and hit the big Connect to Cloud button. Tap your camera name to see the next menu where available videos will be listed. If you don't see your camera name listed and the display goes straight to the map, you're not logged in. Log in and you'll see it.

Once logged in, you'll see three options across the top: Camera, Cloud, and Live event upload.

If your cam has internet access (via hotspot) you'll be able to select Camera and see the videos on the SD card there. You'll be able to view and copy them to the Cloud there as well. If your cam doesn't have internet access, that selection will be greyed out.

If you select Cloud, you'll be able to see any vids you've moved to cloud storage. This doesn't happen automatically, in order for a video to be moved to cloud storage, you will have had to manually put it there.

Last, selecting Live event upload will let you see whatever file types you selected to be automatically uploaded whenever they are recorded (assuming your cam is connected to a hotspot when the event occurs, whether driving or parked). You can view and manipulate them from there as well.

Fourth, and last, you can download videos directly from your cam to your PC if both are on the same wifi network.

You can use third-party software or scripts (or write your own scripts) to do this. Lots of folks do, me included.

Essentially, you set your cam up to automatically find your home network when it's in wifi range. When your hotspot turns off (or you turn it off), the cam seeks out your home network (assuming you've properly configured it to do that) and connects. You have a script or software on your PC that monitors your network watching for your cam's IP address to show up, and when it does, the sw or script connects and autodownloads the videos to wherever you tell it to.

I use a Windows program called "Blackvue Downloader" to do this. Written specifically for the BV cams by a guy who owns one. Simple to set up and super easy to use.

I pull into the garage, turn the car off, turn my hotspot off, and walk away. BV Downloader on my PC sees my cam connect to my home network, high fives it and starts grabbing the days videos automatically. I can go back and use BV's viewer or other third-party viewer software to look at it anytime I like. Never have to mess with connecting to the cam, cloud, or whatever. It's just automatically there whenever I feel the need to look at it. Couldn't be easier.

Last edited:
This has been really helpful.

So a few things I've learned.

I though that through some magical way, the daily videos just showed up in the cloud and I could prop up against my pillows at night, up in my room, and watch for fun. So that doesn't happen. I have to be in my car, turn on the camera wifi, marry with my iphone, view videos I want to save and either view them while sitting in the car, unload them to my phone, or move them to the cloud for later viewing.

Right?

So basically all things mostly happen sitting in the driver seat, unless I want to pop out the SD card and briing it in the house to put in the card reader in my mac, right?

I'm a little concerned folks are saying their mac doesn't automatically see and read the card. I haven't tried that yet.

SO sorry for all these questions. Things were quite as intuitive and easy as I imagined they would be. Your help has been great.

Live Event Uploads should automatically upload videos to the cloud based on your Live Event Upload settings.

So your expectations are partially correct.

4210070-C-C20-B-48-FA-92-FF-F345318-EFE7-B.png

Yeah everything you record dont go to the cloud, as i understand the smart cameras it is just the events, though i think you can remote connect to the camera and look thru it that way.
It would also be expensive on your data if it have a limit, and i assume also problematic if you drop out of 4G as then uploading would be mighty slow and the camera would probably have to buffer on the memory card ( too )
The macs ( another thing i have 0 personal experience with ) do seem to have a extra hoop or two for those people to jump thru, but in the end i think people find a way to make it work, this could be with another player or something like that.
Personally i dont use the dedicated dashcam players as i have no need to see graphs and on a map where i am driving yet again, so i use potplayer for playback and have VLC as a backup along with the default players in windows 10.

Can you help me set the correct setting on that please? Also, when I go into my desk top mode to look things over, I can't save my settings on the live event upload settings section. The save is grayed out.

Can you help me set the correct setting on that please?

This feature doesn't work for me (ipad app) as you can see in my screenshot.

There is a new firmware update that supposed to be available now.

v.1.003

I am hoping this will fix the issue.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of folks with this camera yet so the feedback from others is lacking.

UPDATE: v.1.003 fixes the Live Event Upload issue.

Last edited:
I though that through some magical way, the daily videos just showed up in the cloud and I could prop up against my pillows at night, up in my room, and watch for fun. So that doesn't happen. I have to be in my car, turn on the camera wifi, marry with my iphone, view videos I want to save and either view them while sitting in the car, unload them to my phone, or move them to the cloud for later viewing.

Right?

TL;DR: It can happen that magical way, but not by default. You have to configure the firmware to do it. And it's not the most efficient or economical way to do it. If you want every type of video to be automatically uploaded to the cloud so you can see them in the Live event upload section, you can just select all the file types in the firmware and what you describe will happen automatically when internet access is available. Buuut... doing it this way will slaughter your cellular data plan if that's your primary way to upload to the cloud (vs. home wifi). The more you drive, the bloodier it'll be.

If you set up your firmware to do what you describe and you don't drive around constantly connected to a vehicle hotspot, the cam will dump all videos not overwritten from your drive to the cloud via your home wifi (assuming the firmware is configured to find your home wifi) after your drive is complete and it connects. You'll be able to see them in the Live event upload section of the viewer. Just not until they've uploaded there through the cam's very slow wifi > your home wifi > BV's cloud storage service > redownload to your device.

The drawback to this method is that none of your event videos get uploaded as they happen while you drive, which is really the intent of this capability, to protect them from being overwritten or lost if the card gets corrupted. The BV cloud service has data and time limits on storage if you're not paying for a plan. You'll also have to wait for the vids to upload once you're connected to your home network before you can watch them anyway.

If you set up your firmware to do what you describe and you do drive around constantly connected to a vehicle hotspot, every video will be uploaded to the BV cloud storage as it's recorded.

This might sound like a great idea, but this method will destroy your cellular data plan in short order. Every one of those one minute videos, on highest resolution, is about 192 MB. The cam's wifi is painfully slow, and you'll be asking the cam to wifi those over to your hotspot and then upload that 192 MB video to the cloud over your cellular service. That you pay for. A 30 minute drive is 30 one minute videos. Plus 30 GPS data files and some other stuff. That'll be a giant bottleneck and can potentially destroy your cellular data plan for vids you probably won't ever watch after the novelty wears off the first few times.

The fastest, cheapest, most efficient way to get your trip vids stored on something you can watch propped up against your pillows at night for fun is to connect to your cam via home wifi like I described in method four above.

It's mostly benefits and few drawbacks. Your cam will connect to your home wifi when it's in range and start downloading vids automatically. You can't forget. The cam's wifi is still painfully slow, but you cut out the additional delay while they get transferred to BV's cloud storage via your cellular network. They save straight to your local storage with no middle man, so they're secure and not floating around on the interwebz (if that matters to you). When you read (view) them, you're reading the raw data directly from a local device, so it's much faster and higher quality. No surprise data charges for the huge and constant data transfers--you can use Live event upload to save the important files as you drive instead of everything. And eventually, when BV decides that their cloud data storage for users who don't wanna pay for it isn't cost effective and they shut it down (or start charging everyone), you won't be scrambling to figure out how to save your videos long term.

The only real drawback is that for what I described above to happen automatically, you have to leave a computer on all the time.

I'm a little concerned folks are saying their mac doesn't automatically see and read the card. I haven't tried that yet.

Can't help you there sorry. I'm a PC/Windows guy. BV's stuff is all working well for me on PC. Apparently, a new firmware release for the 750X series came out just today and fixes that Mac issue.

SO sorry for all these questions. Things were quite as intuitive and easy as I imagined they would be. Your help has been great.

No worries. That's why this site is here! This was my first dashcam ever, and I struggled through the same learning curve you are now. Once you get familiar with the concepts and (especially) limitations of how all dashcams operate, and get familiar with BlackVue's firmware, you'll be fine. I do recommend investing some time in reading the manual, it's long, but pretty good, and there are separate detailed sections with lots of pictures for both the Mac and PC firmware.

Last edited:
The latest firmware just became available through the mobile app.
v.1.003 fixes the Live Event Upload issue.
It's working now.

Last edited:
Back