Blurry Video, Mobius 2 D lens

Also. What, and how can I do "webcam" mode? Is that available with my Mobius1 model? Thanks.

It's all explained in the "Instruction Manual for the Mobius ActionCam". (page #9) It's a good read for all Mobius owners. :bookworm:

The Manual doesn't explain how to do it on a Mac computer but it's even easier. Plug the Mobius into your computer with the memory card removed. Then, in QuickTime Player chose "New Movie Recording" and the image from your camera will appear on your screen in a sharp 720p window. You can increase or reduce the size of this window easily by hitting "Command" and the "+" or "-" Key. If for some reason the live video window doesn't automatically appear, select "Mobius" from the drop down window after clicking the little triangle on the right side of floating video control panel.

Last edited:
This is a very good board. A real privilege meeting you all. Good group.

I was spinning today. Basically, trying to find a place to buy a new camera. Which was surprisingly difficult. Funny how the sales people at BuyMobius & SpyTec never offered up the "twist lens" simple solution. Digitalele889 on Ebay did say the camera needed to be refocused, but they didn't reply until minutes ago.

I knew this board existed, but never, in my wildest dreams, could I imagine the answer would come from post #2, only a half hour after I posted. I just couldn't accept the answer.

Anyway. Yep. Used AmCap. Tweaked the lens. And problem solved. Sure wish I'd have done that last August 2018. Missed some good footage.

I'm still confused about the model of my camera. I mean, I guess it's Mobius 2, because digitalele889 writes:

"if the camera you have is Mobius 1, you can refocus it by L shape tool"

"If Mobius 2, the lens is glued to the sensor"

And they would know. So, my D lens is glued, but BuyMobius also gave me an L shaped tool.

Who cares, really.

One other question. It sure takes many tries for my Win7 computer to recognize my Mobius. Msetup also fails to connect quickly.
I have to plug it in and out, or turn on and off, several times.

Actually. The computer registers something is connected with the sound. But the software doesn't set up.

Thanks again. You have really made my life a bit better today. One less thing to deal with. Thanks.

Last edited:
Which one looks like your?

Attachments

• P6280042.jpg
    P6280042.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 2
  • M2 images.jpg
    M2 images.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Mobius-Mini-006.jpg
    Mobius-Mini-006.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 2
Based on the photo the OP has already provided, it's door #1 on the right side of the photo, a Mobius 1, but fitted with a "D" lens module.
But he still called it a Mobius 2.

But he still called it a Mobius 2.

We know that but based on the photo he posted it is a Mobius 1 with a "D" lens module, so it seems he's misinformed about which model he's got.

Here's the photo in question flipped upside down for a better perspective. Maybe that'll help.

mobius1.jpg

Well I am done with this thread, because I wasn't any help anyway.
Please don't feel bad. I thought some of your posts were helpful, and the OP might yet follow your example of installing a set screw in a lens module.

Between us @Harsh, @Dashmellow and myself have owned possibly more than 20 Mobius 1's and 2's. We have opened them up countless times and changed many lenses, so we knew straight away from the photo which camera he had.

Last edited:
I dropped out of the discussion because I went to bed. Glad to see that the camera is mostly fixed. Now the challenge is to fix the lens in place so it stays there.

@jmdlcar recently drilled or tapped a hole in a Mobius 2 lens module then installed a set screw. This might be a good option since the original glue seal is obviously broken.

Alternatively I would recommend carefully cutting away excess glue along the lens barrel then re-gluing with UV cement.

Your persistence getting me to understand “screw twisting”. The quick solution. The photo with focusing tips. Suggestions to post photos. . The Instruction Manual and Webcam Mode. Thanks to all. Your words were on target and useful. I will put them to use.

My procrastination (broke August 2018) put me in a tight box, and yesterday the solutions seemed elusive. Honestly, all of it, every single post , was useful and taught me something. And most importantly. Solved the problem. Fixed the camera. .

What's a bit scary... imagining the amount of pressure it took inside my waist pack to twist the lens. The camera could have just as easily broken or cracked. I was lucky in that way. In my hand, initially the lens would not twist. It wasn't until pushed harder by your posts, that I applied the additional pressure to move the lens.

Installing a set screw, while something that might be very valuable, is far beyond my skill level and available tools. And judging from a life time of past experiences, I'd mess up the lens for sure. 100%. Heck. I'm still trying to figure out what glue to use (UV GLUE or HOT GLUE).

Some of you have owned many Mobius cameras. That's interesting. I'm hoping you bought new cameras as the better models were released, or unfortunately broke the cameras.

My reasoning?
Hoping it wasn't because of a camera/motherboard failure or a crappy manufacturing error. Simply because, I only have one, and losing footage on another trip would REALLY make me sad. Especially, after I learned this video saving screw trick.

Also... something you all know already. This is a well planned, robust forum design. Very user friendly, and quick to understand.

Here's some photos of the camera. Thanks again.

So... do I have the Mobius 1 with D lens?

Some of you have owned many Mobius cameras. That's interesting. I'm hoping you bought new cameras as the better models were released, or unfortunately broke the cameras.

My reasoning?
Hoping it wasn't because of a camera/motherboard failure or a crappy manufacturing error. Simply because, I only have one, and losing footage on another trip would REALLY make me sad. Especially, after I learned this video saving screw trick.
Multiple cameras because we like them, use more than one at a time, and also because at least two of us have done some testing for Mobius in the past.

I've not managed to break a Mobius 1 yet, although I did buy a secondhand one with what appeared to be water damage.

What's a bit scary... imagining the amount of pressure it took inside my waist pack to twist the lens. The camera could have just as easily broken or cracked. I was lucky in that way. In my hand, initially the lens would not twist. It wasn't until pushed harder by your posts, that I applied the additional pressure to move the lens.
Using the camera for long periods in Sumatra could have resulted in a heat-related focus shift (some cameras go out of focus when they get very hot), but that should have been temporary rather than permanent. Only you can say whether anything you did could have twisted the lens by accident.

The good thing is that these little cameras can be opened up and worked on relatively easily, and with live view over USB you can get the lens refocused quickly.

With the moderator permission. May I use this thread for other questions, that I reckon have already been answered 1,000 times?

Is there a way to generate the file names with a DATE & TIME stamp?

Is the app useful? I'm looking for an easy(er) way to check time and date, and change if necessary.

That's good. That's for viewing Mobius video on a phone. I can use that (or similar cable) with my S9. This will be very useful (essential) to check focus in the field.

The other challenge is having all the file names the same. Especially if you mess up the recorded date like I have. I looked it up last year, without success. I just wanted to check if there has been any solutions since then.

Just to say... I use ZeroLemon batteries with my S9+
https://zerolemon.com/collections/vendors?q=Battery+Case&constraint=galaxy-s9-plus

It's huge. It's a brick. But the 11,500mAh total will last a long time.

The 5200mAh is smaller. Giving you 8700mHa total with the S9+.
I order one also.

If you order from ZeroLemmon.com proper, you have 30 day return. You pay shipping.
180 days defective (?)

I used their LG Optimus G Pro battery for 5 years with zero problem. Yes. I kept my LG for 5 years, replacing just last month.

20190129_131349.jpg

Attachments

• 20190129_131349.jpg
    20190129_131349.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Okay. As far as live viewing Mobius on your phone.

It will take too long to get the Mini USB OTG Cable from China.

An old DashCam Thread address this, and a DashCam post uses this instead.

The post is from 2016. Maybe other have reached a better solution?

Yes. How about simply using a USD to C adapter.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Mobius 2 / M2 11
Back