Blurry Video, Mobius 2 D lens

Guess I can answer my own question.

ULTRA PLUS, Up to 100Mbps = No Falsificator's FW at, "bitrate to a maximum of 100Mbps in 4k30".

At least not running the the highest quality video specs.

Thanks for everything. All of you. Very big thanks.
You're confusing MB/s and Mbps - there's 8 bits per byte. So UHS-I with min 10MB/s write speed is 80Mbps. U3 at min 30MB/s can handle the 100Mbps F1 video files.

Actually Tony, I did search for the Mod without any luck. Would you instruct me on how to download and install the mod to my F1?
Thanks. Jon
If you don't mind a suggestion, why not get your feet wet with your new F1 and familiarize yourself with its performance and functionality, strengths and weaknesses before jumping in with modified firmware?
The modified firmware is discussed in the F1 firmware thread. I think the latest version is 1.5+Sharp, which is what I'm using.

Updating the firmware is as simple as copying the .bin file to the root of the card and booting the camera. Then reset to default. Then change settings as you wish.

I agree with @Dashmellow in terms of getting used to the camera on stock FW first, before diving into modified FW. There is no extra functionality, just refined image quality. The bitrate is higher, so the camera will run a bit warmer, and battery life may be shorter.

Updating the firmware is as simple as copying the .bin file to the root of the card and booting the camera. Then reset to default. Then change settings as you wish.

I agree with @Dashmellow

Just to say... I know you're both right. And regardless of what I want, the learning process has to go step, by step. I just want to get all my ducks set up in a row, all the pieces assembled before I begin.

Okay. No problem shooting 1080p. In a couple of hours I'll be all set. But if I want to take a shot at 4K, I'll need more equipment, and definitely the FW upgrade, because over 80% of the hours shot, are in the evening and dark of night. Often in bars and clubs.

Going to OKA also.

Sure, I was willing, even eager, to use the M1. But if it's possible to get footage similar to Tony's test shots. That would be great.

BTW. Where do I find the bin file?

Thanks.

Last edited:
That's the part I want.
Thanks for mentioning it in your posts.

Sure we all want "refined image quality", but if you have no frame of reference regarding what the camera can do with the stock firmware you have no way to compare any adjustments you make with the modded firmware. For example, a typical thing that some folks tend to do is over-sharpen their images.

Last edited:
Okay. No problem shooting 1080p. In a couple of hours I'll be all set. But if I want to take a shot at 4K, I'll need more equipment, and definitely the FW upgrade, because over 80% of the hours shot, are in the evening and dark of night. Often in bars and clubs.

Good luck!

You'll be better off with a Git 1.

... tend to do is over-sharpen their images.

I thought the F1 FW Mod fixed that over too much sharpening in the OME FW?

Hey. I'm not a programmer or engineer. I tweak the settings a bit (or more) to fit the environment, but I depend on the camera to, "do its thing". That's why we pay the big bucks for cameras.

Chipsets, lenses and software.

Okay. I have not fully read the F1 FW Upgrade thread. But from what little I've learned, and by looking at the extensive video research compiled by Tony, and of course, Falsificator stature as a programmer, this FW upgrade is a really big deal. A significant enhancement of the camera.

Falsificator worked with the manufacturer. Was asked by the manufacturer to help.

Simply put, the video looks a lot better.

Last edited:
You should have did all you want 2 or 3 month ago. Then you would have ready when you go.

I thought the FW Mod fixed that.

Hey. I'm not a programmer or engineer. I tweak the settings a bit (or more) to fit the environment, but I depend on the camera to, "do its thing". That's why we pay the big bucks for cameras.

Chipsets, lenses and software.

Okay. I have not fully read the F1 FW Upgrade thread. But from what little I've learned, and by looking at the extensive video research compiled by Tony, and of course Falsificator stature as a programmer, this FW upgrade is a really big deal. A significant enhancement of the camera.

Simply put, the video looks a lot better.

You have made it quite clear that you are not exactly a "look before you leap" kind of guy, which is your privilege, but there is much more to it than "paying the big bucks for cameras". There's user knowledge, skill and experience. You may not be a programmer or engineer but to get good results from a camera you need to practice good technique and be familar with your tools, especially if you are about to go on a major excursion and hope to return home with results you are pleased with.

You should have did all you want 2 or 3 month ago. Then you would have ready when you go.

Maybe. But the stars seemed aligned to bring me here, and now. I really got a lot of help from you all. And learned so much.

Well, mostly learned that I don't know a damn thing.

In any case, keep in mind, the Mini Cam is B-Roll. I'm not telling the main story with this camera.

Good luck!

You'll be better off with a Git 1.

Thanks. I'll need it.
The Git 1 is too big.
If I'm going to shoot with a camera that's so obvious, I'll bring out the 3x CMOS.

Joking. The Git 1 is not as big as the 3x. But, it is as obvious.

Last edited:
You have made it quite clear that you are not exactly a "look before you leap" kind of guy, which is your privilege, but there is much more to it than "paying the big bucks for cameras". There's user knowledge, skill and experience. You may not be a programmer or engineer but to get good results from a camera you need to practice good technique and be familar with your tools, especially if you are about to go on a major excursion and hope to return home with results you are pleased with.

I've been shooting, and exec producing, travel TV series since April 1995. Purchasing, editing and writing.

So... I totally agree with everything you're saying. In fact, the first words of advice when I started out were, "Who's going to shoot the show ". That's how important the camera person is to the project.

Last edited:
... you are not exactly a "look before you leap" kind of guy

Really? I thought I my words were over analyzing, and quite anal. I mean, it's just a US$ 80. camera.

But, it is true. You have my number :)

So I'm really a hand full. A procrastinating, anal leaper. Oh boy.

I've been shooting, and exec producing, travel TV series since April 1995. Purchasing, editing and writing.

So... I totally agree with everything you're saying. In fact, the first words of advice when I started out were, "who's going to shoot the show ". That's how important the camera person is to the project.

Glad to know you understand that. I was speaking from the perspective of being a lifelong pro photographer and media guy, so the idea of going out on an assignment with tools or software/firmware I wasn't completely familiar with seems anathema to me. Often having a frame of reference with existing equipment before making any changes has been mission critical. I do understand that you are on a tight deadline though.

Are you traveling with a laptop? You could easily take the original firmware and the modded firmware with you (even loaded onto memory cards ready to install) and work from there, perhaps getting your feet wet with the stock firmware and then migrating to the modded after you see what the camera can do fresh out of the box.

Last edited:
Really? I thought I my words were over analyzing, and quite anal. I mean, it's just a US$ 80. camera.

But, it is true. You have my number :)

So I'm really a hand full. A procrastinating, anal leaper. Oh boy.

I guess I reached my conclusion about "looking before you leap" when you started buying products before we had even finished discussing them, like that "50,000 mAh" generic solar power bank for instance. :)

I guess I reached my conclusion about "looking before you leap" when you started buying products before we had even finished discussing them, like that "50,000 mAh" generic solar power bank for instance. :)

Touché.

In my defense, I did know about the 50K thingy for a full whole day before the purchase. :)

And you saved my as. That thing would have hit the junk pile before the day was over

But I wasn't brave, it only cost $13. So I'll go without a couple of beers

Oh. And do we remember?

I was DESPERATE.

I also return stuff (a lot of stuff). That's why I like Costo. You can buy with abandonedment.

Man. You saved my as. Thanks.

Last edited:
Tou·ché.

In my defense, I did know about the 50K thingy for a full whole day :)

And you saved my as. That thing would have hit the junk pile before the day was over

But I wasn't brave, it only cost $13. So I'll go without a couple of beers

Oh. And do we remember?

I was DESPERATE.

I also return stuff (a lot of stuff). That's why I like Costo. You can buy with abandonedment.

Man. You saved my as. Thanks.

You are welcome!

The thing is, buying something you may wish to return is one thing and buying something mission critical that turns out to be a piece of crap just before you leave on a major travel excursion are two different things.

Glad to know you understand that... Are you traveling with a laptop?

Good tips.

But in truth. I'm getting the F1 on Monday. So I'll be spending as many hours as necessary getting up to speed. Not only the shooting, but every single aspect that could fail. It's all about backups.

I did that with the M1 also. But I did forget to do the one thing that was most important, something done for every major piece of equipment ever purchased - Research.

Yeah, the camera sure, but not the forums.

Heck. The M1 is a $60. toy camera. Fully automated. What's to learn?

And while I'll defend those words as far as shooting, man was I wrong about everything else.

You all saved my as. Reminded the value of forums. And refreshed my hope for people kind. That's PC for Mankind.

The generosity here is unmatched.

Thanks.

You are welcome!

The thing is, buying something you may wish to return is one thing and buying something mission critical that turns out to be a piece of crap just before you leave on a major travel excursion are two different things.

I had a week. I had a week. I had a full week to play :)

Yes. A dumb purchase.

In truth, I was never sold on the power pack. I'm just used to purchasing a lot of spare batteries.

$13. bucks. It was a splurge. I thought the thing looked cool. I got a red one.

Good seller though. Gave the money right back. Whew!

Last edited:
I had a week. I had a week. I had a full week to play :)

Yes. A dumb purchase.

In truth, I was never sold on the power pack. I'm just used to purchasing a lot of spare batteries.

$13. bucks. It was a splurge. I thought the thing looked cool. I got a red one.

Good seller though. Gave the money right back Whew!

I think you'll enjoy (and benefit from) the other one(s) you purchased.

When the 808 and the Mobius camera were made to be used on RC Aircraft and any that you want to video. That my 0.02 cents so don't get mad.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Mobius 2 / M2 11
Back