BMW Advanced Car Eye 3.0

DJ70

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900X Plus-2CH, DR900S-2CH.
Simple enough question; has anyone experience of using this 2 channel dashcam?

I'd be interested to hear how it performs against other brands, particularly BlackVue.

Capture.PNG

FCC ID 2ADTG-ACE3PROF

$433; https://bmw.oempartsonline.com/oem-parts/bmw-bmw-advanced-car-eye-3-0-pro-669031-66215a44493

According to the FCC ID it’s Made by Thinkware.
But they’ve requested confidentiality of the internal photos, so I can’t see what processor, image sensor, etc. is used. But if it’s $433, and made by Thinkware it’s probably good quality.
-Chuck

Attachments

• Confidentiality-Letter-5651724.pdf
    28.5 KB · Views: 16
The BMW Advanced Car Eye 3.0 PRO has a high-resolution QHD camera on the windscreen and a FullHD camera on the rear window, which monitor the vehicle both while driving and when parked.
In addition to dangerous traffic situations, the camera uses intelligent sensors to record (attempted) break-ins and damage to property – even in difficult lighting conditions. The detailed videos can be evaluated using the Advanced Car Eye 3.0 app. The high-quality full HD camera on the rear window complements the BMW Advanced Car Eye 3.0 PRO and also records what is happening behind the vehicle in the event of vibrations.

• Automatic recording of situations in front of and behind the vehicle even when parked.
  • Light-sensitive lens technology for detailed shots day and night.
  • Precise recording of the route thanks to the integrated GPS receiver. – Movements and vibrations are detected by the radar and vibration sensors.
  • Direct control via app. Recorded events can be viewed and archived on the smartphone.
  • Additional voice recognition for shortcuts while driving
Functionality:
  • Vibration detection: The BMW Advanced Car Eye 3.0 PRO is automatically activated by vibrations and records relevant situations.
  • Radar sensor: Movements in the immediate vicinity, in front of and behind the vehicle, are detected and recorded.
  • In addition, the recording can be started manually with the REC button or the integrated voice recognition.
  • Recording/Playback: The camera has an SD memory card. The recorded videos can be viewed and archived via the ACE 3.0 app on the smartphone or downloaded to the computer.
Technical specifications:
  • Camera front screen QHD (2560 x 1440)
  • Rear window camera Full HD (1920 x 1080)
  • Max. 30 fps (exception: Japan max. 27 fps)
  • Image sensor: camera front screen 3.69 megapixels 1/2.8″
  • Rear window camera 2.07 megapixels 1/2.8″
  • Viewing angle (glass lens): Diagonal 150°
  • Memory: NAND Flash 1GB
  • DDR3 (memory chip)
  • GPS (Global Positioning System)
  • WLAN 2.4GHz (IEEE 802.11b/g/n), 5GHz (IEEE 802.11a/n)
  • Power supply DC 12V; Super Cap 7F, 3.0V (emergency power supply)

Summary:
Front: 2K (3.69 megapixels 1/2.8")...I have no idea. But I would guess that if BMW has more than 2 brain cells to rub together, it should be an IMX335 in the front???
Rear: 1080P (2.07 megapixels 1/2.8") points to either IMX291 or IMX307

Based on the speech recognition feature, radar module, and limited "128GB" memory capacity support; I would suspect that this is a rebadged Thinkware. You are simply overpaying for the BMW badge.

FCC ID 2ADTG-ACE3PROF

$433; https://bmw.oempartsonline.com/oem-parts/bmw-bmw-advanced-car-eye-3-0-pro-669031-66215a44493

According to the FCC ID it’s Made by Thinkware.
But they’ve requested confidentiality of the internal photos, so I can’t see what processor, image sensor, etc. is used. But if it’s $433, and made by Thinkware it’s probably good quality.
-Chuck
Good to know.
I was actually typing my response before you posted because I had lots of tabs open in Chrome the past 2 hours researching this thing and was trying to narrow this thing down along with cross referencing sensors from Sony's website and so on...

Pretty sure it costs a lot more than that if one were to get this from the dealer.
You will likely be paying MSRP, along with labor installation(BMW docs say this is a 2hr labor job which is billable) costs if you were to get this done at the BMW dealer.

It's fine reading the blurb about these things, which I have before asking the question (see specs), but the real test is user experience, that why I wanted first hand reviews.

It's fine reading the blurb about these things, which I have before asking the question (see specs), but the real test is user experience, that why I wanted first hand reviews.
Then look up the user experience of the equivalent Thinkware camera, it should be similar. There are lots of YouTube videos, comparisons, and reviews from professional reviewers and forum members.
If you're satisfied with it, then you can either get the Thinkware equivalent camera, or the Advanced Car Eye if you want to pay extra for the BMW badge and/or believe that BMW will add some special sauce in their user experience or features to justify their pricing that the equivalent camera from Thinkware cannot do?

Has anyone here ended up purchasing it?

Wondering if by purchasing this I can get away with not needing an external battery like I would with a Blackvue or Viofo

People on this thread seem to suggest there is no warning with the ACE 3.0 pro system

I just purchased it through PaddleShifterz(the pro version is not sold at BMW US store) primarily to avoid warnings.

Just to add to this thread, I filmed a short review and different conditions for this system!

Review

Conditions

Back