Buffered Parking mode

BCHobbyist-
Thanks for the above! - - I thought I recently read on your blog that Viofo had locked-down some aspect of their A129 such that your mods couldn't be used...or maybe it had to do with people who are using "parking mode"...??? - - Could you please clarify which users can or can not benefit from the mods listed above. Thanks!
Advanced Parking Modes don't work well with my high bitrate MODs. Owners wanting all Parking Mode features and modified Sharpness level can load FW1.81 MOD-PMi / MOD-PMj or FW1.50 MOD-PKr / MOD-PKq.
Parking Low Bitrate Recording Mode seems to work with most bitrate MODs, if not use the PM/PK versions. Modified Firmware is mainly for experienced owners wanting to alter their dashcams beyond original image quality. Must understand how to update official firmware before attempting any MOD updates since both procedures are different. Since you asked, in your case I'd suggest staying with official firmware.

A129 Duo firmware for IR or non-IR can be loaded regardless of which rear camera is connected. It cannot BRICK anything since the main A129 is identical hardware. I tested all this back in Jan 2019 to prove it works with all three rear cameras, my A129 still works perfectly with zero damage. Load the A129 firmware you want and decide if the rear camera video fits your needs. Keep in mind IR Cam firmware is still v1.01 which is based on v1.50

A129 Duo non-IR firmware = v1.50
Added: New parking mode solution, support VIOFO 2 wires and 3 wires ACC hardwire kit.
Added: 2fps, 3fps options for time lapse parking mode
Added: Support show SSID, Car License number, Customize Text on APP.
Added: Support rear camera mirror
Added: Time zone option: -2:30
Updated: Support take a video snapshot while lock the video by remote control
Updated: Wake up the screen first while press the Menu / Rec / Mic / Video Source switch button in screen save mode;
Updated: Date format YY/MM/DD changed to YY – MM – DD
Updated: Enter parking mode duration 90s changed to 5mins while use 2 wires hardwire cable or power bank.
Download = https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z0y8mQBntErzyoNN6WAYF2S1XDZQIf4D

A129 Duo non-IR firmware = v1.80 with fixed Low Bitrate Recording and tweaked Parking Mode.
Added: Buffered Parking Mode, parking video files ends with _PF for front camera, _PR for rear camera.
Updated: save the buffered parking video files under Movie folder instead of RO folder
Added: G-sensor and Motion detection sensitivity setting for Parking Mode
Updated: MIC icon and GPS icon
Download = https://support.viofo.com/helpdesk/attachments/19045264463

A129 Duo non-IR firmware = v1.9T Beta, G-sensor sensitivity improved in Parking Mode.
Download = https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sXsvOUkrHLfTAKSita835OoAFyIkLFlo

A129 Duo IR firmware = v1.01 with IR Camera Menu options and older Parking Mode.
Download = https://www.viofo.com/download/firmware/A129IR/FWA129.bin

Download A129 Duo non-IR Modified Firmware = https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a129-mod-file.html
Oops I misunderstood your response in those youtube comments before then. My bad. Either way the IR works in buffered parking mode much better than the regularA129duo with v1.8 in my experience.

Well, things have improved considerably when in "park-mode". If anything, now I'm getting too many videos!!! - - I don't know if resetting the camera via the pin hole had anything to do with the improved performance???

One thing though is for a long period of time in one location while parked, all the videos were 3 mins in length.
Btw, 3 mins is my setting for max length videos. - - Then during overnight parking the videos were 45 seconds in length, and "normally" any detected movement would show-up 15 seconds into the video... But sometimes I could not see any detected movement at all, front or back. - - I'm guessing I should lower the movement-detection setting for parking to medium rather than high.

Btw, can someone direct me to a good viewer for the dashcam videos. I guess by default I'm using Windows Media Player. I saw mention of an app called Dashcam Viewer; is that a good one to consider or would there be something better??? - - I'd love to be able to just breeze through a bunch of video clips quickly to see if anything important was happening... I'd also like the ability to zoom in on a screen if I ever need to get a better view of a license plate. - - Thanks for any suggestion on a good dashcam viewer app!

Btw, can someone direct me to a good viewer for the dashcam videos.
This is what I and many of the dashcamtalk.com forum members use: https://dashcamviewer.com/

It's an excellent app, plus the developer is constantly making improvements. I highly recommend it.

Fabulous RM! Thanks very much for that! I'll get it right away.

Btw, how did resetting the camera with the pin hole work for you? Are you getting better performance?

Btw, how did resetting the camera with the pin hole work for you? Are you getting better performance?
@StrayCam, Sorry for the delay in responding. I just tried it a few minutes ago. Plus, I reverted back to the v1.8 firmware and used the parking mode settings you suggested. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for the suggestion.

Decided to fully test Beta v1.9T firmware to confirm known Parking Mode glitches still exist.
FW1.9T Beta Test A129 setup parameters with Default Settings + power cycle between each 2 hour test :

Resolution = 1920x1080P 30fps
Bitrate = High
Loop Recording = 3 min
Video Format = MP4
Time-Lapse Recording = Off
Motion Detection = Off
Wi-Fi = Off
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Test #1 = PASS
Parking Mode = Auto Event Detection
Parking G-sensor = High Sensitivity
Parking Motion Detection = Low Sensitivity
G-Sensor = Off (same results with Low)

after 5 min activation delay no visual motion during first 1 min
PF clips = 45 seconds , 83 MB , 15 Mb/s , Standby Mode activated with no visual motion.
Test #2 = FAIL
Parking Motion Detection = Low Sensitivity

after 5 min activation delay continuous visual motion during first 1 min
PF clips = 3 min , 335 MB , 15 Mb/s , continuous recording Standby Mode never activated.
Test #3 = FAIL
Parking Motion Detection = Medium Sensitivity

after 5 min activation delay no visual motion during first 1 min
Memory card 75% full
records PF clips normally until only 1.2 GB free space triggers blue screen message :
All data will be deleted = Cancel or OK (repeated beeps waiting for user input for +15 mins)
@BCHobbyist, last week I experienced the same problem you had in your tests. Tonight, I reverted back to the v1.8 firmware and tried a pinhole reset. I'll see if this makes any difference. The buffered parking mode is a cool feature. I really wish we could get it working consistently.

@BCHobbyist, last week I experienced the same problem you had in your tests. Tonight, I reverted back to the v1.8 firmware and tried a pinhole reset. I'll see if this makes any difference. The buffered parking mode is a cool feature. I really wish we could get it working consistently.
Many A129 owners haven't noticed the larger "P" Parking Mode clip sizes until their 128GB cards fillup faster than expected. Working on a fix now but there is obviously an issue with clips marked "P" not correctly using 45 second or 1min Parking clip limits. I expect many more reports since this issue is easily replicated, why it wasn't caught sooner is my fault for not fully testing Buffered Parking myself.

BTW - all future official Beta Firmware will be displayed in Menu as V1.xxTx = test version

Last edited:
Many A129 owners haven't noticed the larger "P" Parking Mode clip sizes until their 128GB cards fillup faster than expected. Working on a fix now but there is obviously an issue with clips marked "P" not correctly using 45 second or 1min Parking clip limits. I expect many more reports since this issue is easily replicated, why it wasn't caught sooner is my fault for not fully testing Buffered Parking myself.
No worries. You can't be expected to catch everything. BTW, I notified Bill at Viofo via their support system and have included a link to your tests. Hopefully, they're engineering team will be able to replicate the problem and develop a quick fix as everyone, including me, is looking forward to a reliable buffered parking mode. :)

Hi!

I am using the V 1.8 with the 3 wire kit, my problem with the buffered parking mode is that it detects the movement well, it records a 45 second clip but after that clip, although the movement continues, it does not record another clip until after two minutes, therefore I lose the movement that is still happening after the first clip of 45 seconds. This makes the buffered parking mode useless

I hope a new version will solve this.

(apologies for my english, it's English translated from google))

I am using the V 1.8 with the 3 wire kit, my problem with the buffered parking mode is that it detects the movement well, it records a 45 second clip but after that clip, although the movement continues, it does not record another clip until after two minutes, therefore I lose the movement that is still happening after the first clip of 45 seconds. This makes the buffered parking mode useless
I hope a new version will solve this.
Suggest the following procedure :
1) connect power to A129 then using toothpick or paperclip push the "R" hole button for 4 seconds until restarts to RESET dashcam
2) opening MENU > Default Settings after all firmware updates,
3) save footage from memory card if needed then FORMAT memory card from MENU option,
4) for Parking Mode support always connect power cable to camera side miniUSB port (not GPS mount).
5) Parking Mode = Auto Event Detection
Parking Motion Detection = High Sensitivity (records more)

Suggest the following procedure :
1) connect power to A129 then using toothpick or paperclip push the "R" hole button for 4 seconds until restarts to RESET dashcam
2) opening MENU > Default Settings after all firmware updates,
3) save footage from memory card if needed then FORMAT memory card from MENU option,
4) for Parking Mode support always connect power cable to camera side miniUSB port (not GPS mount).
5) Parking Mode = Auto Event Detection
Parking Motion Detection = High Sensitivity (records more)

I just did what you said. I have tried the buffered parking mode and it seems that now it works well. I will pay extra attention to the buffered parking mode these days.

Thank you!

After uploading new FW on the A129 I have always selected Reset Default in the OSD menu, then entered my own settings for GPS, time zone, parking mode etc. Does pressing the hard Reset button do anything different to using the software Reset?

After uploading new FW on the A129 I have always selected Reset Default in the OSD menu, then entered my own settings for GPS, time zone, parking mode etc. Does pressing the hard Reset button do anything different to using the software Reset?
the hard reset will flush the memory and reboot the camera, something you need to do if it had locked up, the soft reset in the menu resets settings to their default values

the hard reset will flush the memory and reboot the camera, something you need to do if it had locked up, the soft reset in the menu resets settings to their default values
The soft reset on the A129 also reboots the camera

Yes but resets the default values, the hard reset doesn't alter any settings
Yes, I know that :)

There's been a recent trend of people suggesting that a hard reset may help to get buffered parking mode working correctly. I'm just trying to figure out whether the hard reset offers any benefit over a power cycle, which happens as part of the soft reset.

I've been using the Parking Mode in version 1.8 for about 2 weeks now with Auto Event Detection. I have both the Parking G-Sensor and Parking Motion Detection set to low. I have my car parked outside at the back of my house, in front of the garage where there is barely any movement happening. But I have lots of 45 second videos recorded throughout the night every 2-3 minutes. Even in the mornings when there is daylight between 7am and 10am when nobody is at the back I literally have videos every 2-3 minutes. When I look at the videos I can't see any movement happening either from the front or the rear camera. I thought having the settings on low would produce very few events. Is this normal for a low setting? I see some have their settings on high sensitivity...I'm fearful that if I change my settings to high, I'll end up having even more events recorded. I haven't done a hard reset after updating to version 1.8, would this fix the sensitivity issue? Any suggestions or ideas will be much appreciated

Other than this issue the dash cam is working perfectly

Back