Buffered Parking mode

How long will a power bank battery run the dashcam before being depleted?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Most of the LiIon powerbanks which fail catastrophically are the ones which use cheap cells and poor charging circuits :mad: The problem is that you don't know what is inside- all you can do is buy from a select few manufacturers who are known to use good stuff. If you do that and keep the LiIon powerbank out of direct sunlight you're extremely unlikely to have any serious problems. LiFePo is safer but probably not necessary except in extreme climates, and there your dashcam might melt first.

Length of use-time will depend on the size (capacity) of the powerbank and it will slightly lessen over time with cell wear so best to buy a little more than you need.

Phil

How long will a power bank battery run the dashcam before being depleted?

20,000 mAh (74 Wh) should give 24 hours recording with a few hours to spare. You could gain a little extra with a low framerate parking mode.

@viofo The new version of buffered "Auto Event Detection" is fab (if it will work properly) - now it makes sense to use it as unbuffered version is pointless. Unfortunately the newest version of firmware is not stable. I've noticed that everything is working fine until I enable WiFi do something via the app and disable WiFi. After that unit seems less responsive, sometimes pressing the button makes the sound but no action is performed, left LED is blinking from time to time, image on the screen is not fluid (it freezes for half a second regularly) and after a while unit stops writing anything on the card. After a while longer unit itself is not responsive at all and needs to be reset. The new functionality is great, it just records what is needed (well almost) but for the time being I am back with V1.5 which is just very stable.
BTW, I'm using 3 wire kit with fuse taps (which is great!), after each upgrade I always reset unit to default and format SD card.

popi_k

Thanks for sharing that info. So, although you say the new version of auto event detection is fab, you conclude by saying it's unstable and you won't use it. - - Most people here feel the same way...the new version is not ready yet for showtime! - - In communicating with Viofo, they say their new buffered feature works perfectly! I think they are stretching the truth. - - Hopefully the issues get worked out soon!

I really haven't had any problems with v1.8 and buffered parking mode (auto event detection). I was on vacation all last week with the vehicle and it would sit in a hotel lot or parking garage for 1-2 days at a time (and amusement park parking lot for a whole day twice) and everything worked. When in parking mode, 45 second clips that I could jump to 12 seconds and view the activity that caused it to record (persons or car driving by). Vehicle started with no problems every time (HK3 kit set to 12v cutoff) and normal recording resumed every time also. From reading this forum I've been a bit paranoid about it not working and check the camera/card every couple of days to see if it's doing as it should and it has worked well for me.

EDIT: I'm wanting to add, that during parking mode, if the activity that started the recording continued after the 45 second clip, the next 45 second clip would start where the last clip left off (when someone was walking to and loading up their vehicle in the row behind me, then driving off).

Last edited:
I really haven't had any problems with v1.8 and buffered parking mode (auto event detection). I was on vacation all last week with the vehicle and it would sit in a hotel lot or parking garage for 1-2 days at a time (and amusement park parking lot for a whole day twice) and everything worked. When in parking mode, 45 second clips that I could jump to 12 seconds and view the activity that caused it to record (persons or car driving by). Vehicle started with no problems every time (HK3 kit set to 12v cutoff) and normal recording resumed every time also. From reading this forum I've been a bit paranoid about it not working and check the camera/card every couple of days to see if it's doing as it should and it has worked well for me.

EDIT: I'm wanting to add, that during parking mode, if the activity that started the recording continued after the 45 second clip, the next 45 second clip would start where the last clip left off (when someone was walking to and loading up their vehicle in the row behind me, then driving off).
This is good to hear. May I ask how you having your parking mode setup? Thanks!

This is good to hear. May I ask how you having your parking mode setup? Thanks!

These are some settings I can think of off the top of my head

Parking Mode Settings:
Auto Event Detection
Motion Detection - High
G-Sensor Detection - High

Other general settings:
clip length - 3 minutes
driving mode motion detection - off
driving mode G-sensor - Medium

EDIT: The parking mode motion and G-sensor settings aren't available in the app, only on the camera setup menus currently

These are some settings I can think of off the top of my head

Parking Mode Settings:
Auto Event Detection
Motion Detection - High
G-Sensor Detection - High

Other general settings:
clip length - 3 minutes
driving mode motion detection - off
driving mode G-sensor - Medium

EDIT: The parking mode motion and G-sensor settings aren't available in the app, only on the camera setup menus currently

It seems you are one of the lucky ones, in fact the only person on this thread who has had no problems with the A129! - - I tried two consecutive nights using parking mode - buffered parking. There are probably at least 20 -25 passerby's during the time parked, but I only got 2 incidents each night (45 second recordings). So, it only worked about 10% of the time! - - Totally unacceptable.

Although virtually every poster on this thread has had very dismal results with the buffered parking-mode on the A129, perhaps RavenManiac can replicate your results. - - I would be very interested in hearing how his results turn out. - I'm glad things are working perfectly for you, and thanks again for sharing!

It seems you are one of the lucky ones, in fact the only person on this thread who has had no problems with the A129! - - I tried two consecutive nights using parking mode - buffered parking. There are probably at least 20 -25 passerby's during the time parked, but I only got 2 incidents each night (45 second recordings). So, it only worked about 10% of the time! - - Totally unacceptable.

Although virtually every poster on this thread has had very dismal results with the buffered parking-mode on the A129, perhaps RavenManiac can replicate your results. - - I would be very interested in hearing how his results turn out. - I'm glad things are working perfectly for you, and thanks again for sharing!

Knock on wood!!

Yes, I am surprised that so many are having problems and that it seems to be working fine for me!

I installed my A129 about a month ago and it came with the v1.5 firmware. I played around with the low bitrate parking mode and the time lapse parking mode for a week or so comparing the two on file sizes and such when parked over night. I updated to v1.8 a few days after Viofo posted it as a beta firmware earlier in this thread around mid June. I didn't try the v1.7 they came out with. Only problems I noticed to have then was connecting the app over wifi was flaky, but that apparently was a problem with the app and has since been updated. When someone posted that v1.8 was official and on Viofo's firmware download page I downloaded that and installed it thinking there might have been some changes from the beta version. After updating it I performed a reset, not via the menu, but using a paperclip in the hole in the side next to the SD card for a couple seconds until it shutoff and restarted. All of my updates were done with the unit inside my home and plugged into the usb port on a cell phone charger power plug. The updated bin file was added to the root of the SD card via a card reader on my PC then installed into the A129 and then plugged in to power.

A129 1080p Duo or single Parking Auto Event Detection Mode activation testing may reveal the issue. Using Hardwire kit power source connected to camera side mini-USB port park vehicle facing very busy street or other action. Wait inside vehicle with ignition off for the 5 minute Parking Mode delay to announce with double beep, at this moment notice if there is continuous visual motion occurring prior, during and after activation for over 1 minute. If there isn't enough visual motion Parking Mode will enter Standby Mode and REC LED will blink indicating buffering, when visual motion is detected blinking stops and working recording perfectly.

Previous testing indicates IF continuous visual motion is occurring at the 5 min activation strange things happen to recorded video such as 3 min clips and not 45 sec clips. Continue Parking Test by exiting vehicle and closing door soft and hard which should trigger G-sensor event detection. Later review "PF"clips and RO folder clips to confirm Parking functionality. Parking G-sensor = High Sensitivity still seems inadequate using Beta FW v1.9T

Firmware v1.50 v1.80 v1.9T setup parameters with Default Settings + power cycle between each test :
Resolution = 1920x1080P 30fps
Bitrate = High
Loop Recording = 3 min
Video Format = MP4
Time-Lapse Recording = Off
Motion Detection = Off
Wi-Fi = Off
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Parking Mode = Auto Event Detection
Parking G-sensor = High Sensitivity
Parking Motion Detection = Low Sensitivity
G-Sensor = Low

Buffered parking mode generally works well for me with V1.8 and now V1.9. I don't have any problems with missed recordings or the camera not switching modes. It's a lot better than when I tested the early beta FW versions. The only thing not working for me now is the parking g-sensor sensitivity.

@BCHobbyist, why the 5min wait on the parking mode? I thought that was only when powered through the gps mount and no vehicle movement (change in gps coordinates) for 5min before entering parking mode?

Knock on wood!!

Yes, I am surprised that so many are having problems and that it seems to be working fine for me!

I installed my A129 about a month ago and it came with the v1.5 firmware. I played around with the low bitrate parking mode and the time lapse parking mode for a week or so comparing the two on file sizes and such when parked over night. I updated to v1.8 a few days after Viofo posted it as a beta firmware earlier in this thread around mid June. I didn't try the v1.7 they came out with. Only problems I noticed to have then was connecting the app over wifi was flaky, but that apparently was a problem with the app and has since been updated. When someone posted that v1.8 was official and on Viofo's firmware download page I downloaded that and installed it thinking there might have been some changes from the beta version. After updating it I performed a reset, not via the menu, but using a paperclip in the hole in the side next to the SD card for a couple seconds until it shutoff and restarted. All of my updates were done with the unit inside my home and plugged into the usb port on a cell phone charger power plug. The updated bin file was added to the root of the SD card via a card reader on my PC then installed into the A129 and then plugged in to power.

Well thanks for your additional information. I think the only thing I did not do was reset the camera by pressing a paperclip into the little hole. I'll try that now....

Let me know if this helps improve the buffered PM thing that we've been having issues with.

Im currently testing out a A129 Duo IR model to compare with the Regular A129 Duo we've been using. I know its meant more for Uber and Taxi, but I wanted to test how the rear IR cam would do for just a regular rear outward facing cam through my truck.
The IR model comes out of the box with the buffered parking mode so far working flawlessly as we're talking about, so they do have the firmware nailed down on one of these models, sounds like they're just working out some weird kinks with the A129Duo.

A couple of my early findings:
The IR model records 15sec before motion, and 30 seconds after, OR continues recording until no longer motion in the view in the same file. So a handful of times I'm noticing that if motion detection picks something up and starts recording, it continues recording until the motion is gone.

I have a Tacoma quad cab with an ARE fiberglass bed topper, and wanted to see if the IR would improve the rear visibility through the topper (rear cab window tinted and tailgate window tinted also). So far the biggest thing im noticing is that the IR bulbs reflect back on the 2nd piece of glass between the inside of the cab and the topper cap, but its not terrible during the day. However the nighttime, when its super dark is practically unusable as expected. If there is some outside lighting that helps a bunch but if its pitch dark, the glare between the multiple pieces of glass where its mounted makes the rear cam not usable. Unless I can figure out a way to wire the rear camera to the inside of the fiberglass cap, it might be usable.

Ill be putting together a youtube comparison of the two videos next week and posting my reviews/findings both from the 1.8v Firmware that I had most recently tested, (might stay away from v1.9 for now based on how peoples experience has been so far)
but comparing the motion detection and rear camera capabilities.
Anyways next week Ill post pictures, videos and the settings I used and reviews of both, and hopefully it'll help others out.

But again for those that are complaining about the bugs, I understand the frustration of something not working how it 'should,' but we have to remember anything past firmware v1.5 for the A129 Duo is a beta firmware. It may not be fully polished and may not be working 100%. When they have it all ironed out, it'll be an official firmware release on their site, until that time we cant get mad that an unfinished product isn't working 100%.

Last edited:
But again for those that are complaining about the bugs, I understand the frustration of something not working how it 'should,' but we have to remember anything past firmware v1.5 for the A129 Duo is a beta firmware. It may not be fully polished and may not be working 100%. When they have it all ironed out, it'll be an official firmware release on their site, until that time we cant get mad that an unfinished product isn't working 100%.
Except that V1.8 is the current FW listed for the Duo on Viofo's website, and it doesn't say anything about it being beta FW.
https://support.viofo.com/support/solutions/articles/19000087812-viofo-a129-duo-dash-cam-firmware

If the IR firmware works fine (I really like the idea of it continue recording until motion is stopped in parking mode), why can't we flash non-IR cameras with it and just turn off rear camera IR illumination in the settings so it works like a non-IR camera?

Woops! youre right, i didnt see they updated that page a few days ago, my bad I was going off of what I saw on their support page a few weeks ago.

I didnt attempt it though but I reached out to the viofo customer service guys. Im sure that would probably have been their first move, to flash the same firmware, code or scripts (not sure teh right terminology here) into the Regular Duo's firmware, but that stuffs way over my head.

also for some reason its not quoting in my replys who im replying to for some reason, sorry about that

EDIT: Removed my misinformation (I was mistaken)

Last edited:
I actually asked about that on BCHobbyists youtube page, and he informed me that it would likely brick the A129, due to different hardware that handles the IR camera in the rear. I didnt attempt it though but I also reached out to the viofo customer service guys. Im sure that would probably have been their first move, to flash the same firmware, code or scripts (not sure teh right terminology here) into the Regular Duo's firmware, but that stuffs way over my head.
A129 Duo firmware for IR or non-IR can be loaded regardless of which rear camera is connected. It cannot BRICK anything since the main A129 is identical hardware. I tested all this back in Jan 2019 to prove it works with all three rear cameras, my A129 still works perfectly with zero damage. Load the A129 firmware you want and decide if the rear camera video fits your needs. Keep in mind IR Cam firmware is still v1.01 which is based on v1.50

A129 Duo non-IR firmware = v1.50
Added: New parking mode solution, support VIOFO 2 wires and 3 wires ACC hardwire kit.
Added: 2fps, 3fps options for time lapse parking mode
Added: Support show SSID, Car License number, Customize Text on APP.
Added: Support rear camera mirror
Added: Time zone option: -2:30
Updated: Support take a video snapshot while lock the video by remote control
Updated: Wake up the screen first while press the Menu / Rec / Mic / Video Source switch button in screen save mode;
Updated: Date format YY/MM/DD changed to YY – MM – DD
Updated: Enter parking mode duration 90s changed to 5mins while use 2 wires hardwire cable or power bank.
Download = https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z0y8mQBntErzyoNN6WAYF2S1XDZQIf4D

A129 Duo non-IR firmware = v1.80 with fixed Low Bitrate Recording and tweaked Parking Mode.
Added: Buffered Parking Mode, parking video files ends with _PF for front camera, _PR for rear camera.
Updated: save the buffered parking video files under Movie folder instead of RO folder
Added: G-sensor and Motion detection sensitivity setting for Parking Mode
Updated: MIC icon and GPS icon
Download = https://support.viofo.com/helpdesk/attachments/19045264463

A129 Duo non-IR firmware = v1.9T Beta, G-sensor sensitivity improved in Parking Mode.
Download = https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sXsvOUkrHLfTAKSita835OoAFyIkLFlo

A129 Duo IR firmware = v1.01 with IR Camera Menu options and older Parking Mode.
Download = https://www.viofo.com/download/firmware/A129IR/FWA129.bin

Download A129 Duo non-IR Modified Firmware = https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a129-mod-file.html

Last edited:
A129 Duo firmware for IR or non-IR can be loaded regardless of which rear camera is connected. It cannot BRICK anything since the main A129 is identical hardware. I tested all this back in Jan 2019 to prove it works with all three rear cameras, my A129 still works perfectly with zero damage. Load the A129 firmware you want and decide if the rear camera video fits your needs. Keep in mind IR Cam firmware is still v1.01 which is based on v1.50

A129 Duo non-IR firmware = v1.50
Added: New parking mode solution, support VIOFO 2 wires and 3 wires ACC hardwire kit.
Added: 2fps, 3fps options for time lapse parking mode
Added: Support show SSID, Car License number, Customize Text on APP.
Added: Support rear camera mirror
Added: Time zone option: -2:30
Updated: Support take a video snapshot while lock the video by remote control
Updated: Wake up the screen first while press the Menu / Rec / Mic / Video Source switch button in screen save mode;
Updated: Date format YY/MM/DD changed to YY – MM – DD
Updated: Enter parking mode duration 90s changed to 5mins while use 2 wires hardwire cable or power bank.
Download = https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z0y8mQBntErzyoNN6WAYF2S1XDZQIf4D

A129 Duo non-IR firmware = v1.80 with fixed Low Bitrate Recording and tweaked Parking Mode.
Added: Buffered Parking Mode, parking video files ends with _PF for front camera, _PR for rear camera.
Updated: save the buffered parking video files under Movie folder instead of RO folder
Added: G-sensor and Motion detection sensitivity setting for Parking Mode
Updated: MIC icon and GPS icon
Download = https://support.viofo.com/helpdesk/attachments/19045264463

A129 Duo non-IR firmware = v1.9T Beta, G-sensor sensitivity improved in Parking Mode.
Download = https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sXsvOUkrHLfTAKSita835OoAFyIkLFlo

A129 Duo IR firmware = v1.01 with IR Camera Menu options and older Parking Mode.
Download = https://www.viofo.com/download/firmware/A129IR/FWA129.bin

Download A129 Duo non-IR Modified Firmware = https://viofo-dash-cam-modified-firmware.blogspot.com/p/download-a129-mod-file.html

BCHobbyist-

Thanks for the above! - - I thought I recently read on your blog that Vivofo had locked-down some aspect of their A129 such that your mods couldn't be used...or maybe it had to do with people who are using "parking mode"...??? - - Could you please clarify which users can or can not benefit from the mods listed above. Thanks!

Back