Buffered Parking mode

If you don't have a HW kit, that's normal. The camera waits until there is 5 minutes without movement. How else would it know that you are parked, rather than just sitting at the lights for a minute?
Thanks for your reply Tony. I do have the hw3 kit.

FYI my experience with parking mode on the A129 Duo (non-IR).
Preperation: flashed it to v1.8, then used the reset button (pinhole), and then set the camera to default values and formatted the SD card (128GB Samsung Evo).

Hardware setup:
- Camera hardwired with the Viofo HK3 set (switch set to 12V).
- USB cable goes directly to the camera, NOT the GPS mount.

Since the iOS app can't handle the new settings yet: I disabled WiFi and then changed the following settings on the camera itself:
- Startup delay = 5 seconds (probably not relevant).
- Video clip length: 10 minutes.
- Parking Mode = Auto Event Detection.
- Motion Detection = LOW.
- G-Sensor Detection = LOW.
- Time-Lapse Recording = Off.
- Motion Detection = Off.

Initially 'motion detection' and 'G sensor' were set to a higher level, but that produced too many pointless clips; it seems that even a cat walking by at 40 meters away already triggered it.

It's working nicely, yet not perfect yet. Most of all I noticed that when leaving a parking garage I DID have the parking mode PR/PF clips from us entering the car, but us leaving the garage was not recorded, the next recording started at least minutes later.
Anyway it's a very nice feature to have!

FYI my experience with parking mode on the A129 Duo (non-IR).
Preperation: flashed it to v1.8, then used the reset button (pinhole), and then set the camera to default values and formatted the SD card (128GB Samsung Evo).

Hardware setup:
- USB cable goes directly to the camera, NOT the GPS mount.

Since the iOS app can't handle the new settings yet: I disabled WiFi and then changed the following settings on the camera itself:
- Startup delay = 5 seconds (probably not relevant).
- Video clip length: 10 minutes.
- Parking Mode = Auto Event Detection.
- Motion Detection = LOW.
- G-Sensor Detection = LOW.
- Time-Lapse Recording = Off.
- Motion Detection = Off.

Initially 'motion detection' and 'G sensor' were set to a higher level, but that produced too many pointless clips; it seems that even a cat walking by at 40 meters away already triggered it.

It's working nicely, yet not perfect yet. Most of all I noticed that when leaving a parking garage I DID have the parking mode PR/PF clips from us entering the car, but us leaving the garage was not recorded, the next recording started at least minutes later.
Anyway it's a very nice feature to have!

Tis-

Very good explanation of what seems to be the best set-up practice right now!

I do exactly the same as you with a few minor differences:

Only using 3 min clips in case I need to share/transfer a video file quickly.

I'm using 12.4 volt cut-off...I have a hybrid car and I don't know how much difference that makes.

I don't use the boot delay... Can't see any purpose of using it.

Although the Android wifi app works fine, I try not using it at all since someone mentioned that going from wifi back to the camera without using WiFi caused some problem with parking mode.(GoofeyGuy???).

Hopefully the updated firmware comes out soon.

I'm having a problem with the program Dashcam Viewer and I'm thinking the issue may be a "parking mode" issue with the A129. - - Sorry if this question seems "off-topic" here.

For anyone using Dashcam Viewer (e.g., RavenManiac) are you able to get front and rear view screen shots at the same time when the video clip is from "parking mode"...I am able to get dual views when the videos are from "Driving Mode", but not when they're from "parking mode"... Thanks for any ideas on this!

I used buffered parking mode in single-channel at 1080p 60fps today, with FW version 1.9. Normal driving on high bitrate is recorded at 20.1Mbps. The 45-second parking clips were also recorded at 20.1Mbps.

There were no issues switching from normal mode to parking mode after 5 minutes, despite being in a busy car park with motion every minute.

Parking motion detection was set to Medium. In this example, recording was triggered by the silver car driving in front of my car at ~15s, and not by the guy getting into his Mini in the opposite row, or any of the other peripheral activity. The 'No Entry' marking in this car park is often ignored!

The 'No Entry' marking in this car park is often ignored!

Seems like a matter of poor civil engineering. Drivers entering the parking lot at that location would (or perhaps wouldn't) see the words "No Entry" painted upside down on the pavement. Better signage would likely help or even prevent the problem.

Gotcha.. So 1.8 is the stable one? I'll prob go with that version then

Yup, 1.8 is the stable version. You may want to look at Tis post above for some basic steps to follow if you're just now setting things up. What he has listed seems to pretty much be the consensus of "best practices" for now...I posted a bit below his with some minor changes I did... Good luck!

Updated 'steps' for firmware version 1.9 that I followed to set up the Viofo A129 Duo (non-IR), Thanks for the update Viofo!
The following is very detailed, yet that hopefully makes it easy to follow and understand what's going on.

Flashing to v1.9 on the PC:
- flashed it to v1.9 following the instructions by Viofo (https://support.viofo.com/support/solutions/articles/19000087812-viofo-a129-duo-dash-cam-firmware).
- After flashing it, the camera restarts. After startup: choose "safely remove" for the USB storage.
- I connected the camera to a travel adapter to power it, so it's no longer seen as an USB storage device.
- After startup, pushed a small pin in the pinhole to hold the reset button for about ten seconds. When you let go the camera restarts.
- After startup: stopped it from recording (if you used the travel adapter) and set the camera to default values using the menu.
- Finally: formatted the SD card (128GB Samsung Evo).

Prepare to use the app to change settings:
- On the camera: hold down the rightmost button until WiFi turns on.
- Connect to the cameras WiFi through the phone WiFi menu, default password is 12345678.
- Start the Viofo app and connect to the camera (updated app: v1.8.3. for iOS).

Use the app to change these settings:
- Loop recording: 10 min (choose whatever you like).
- WDR: On (personal preference, I see more detail in the video with WDR on)
- Parking mode: auto event detection
- Time zone: GMT+1 (Pick your own timezone)
- Live video source: "Both front (rear overlaid)"
- GPS: On
- Camera model stamp: Off
- Screen Save: 15 sec
- Format SD card: YES
- WiFi Password: (choose your own)
Now you lose the connection to the camera because you changed the WiFi password.
So: on your phone, look up the Viofo WiFi, connect to it, enter the new password. Now you can open the Viofo app again.

Then placed the camera back in the car, will see tomorrow what it did during the night.

Hardware setup in the car:
- USB cable goes directly to the camera, NOT to the GPS mount.

Minor problem:
One minor problem I ran in to twice in a row: after powering on the camera, the first time I open the Viofo iPhone app and tap "Connect your camera", it immediately says: "Connection lost".
BUT: when I immediately tap "Connect your camera" again, it connects right away.

I know the app for android was updated a day or two ago to v2.8.4

I just now noticed that they have another app update today to v2.8.5 with "bug fixes".

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

- WiFi Password: (choose your own)

Sorry if this is off topic but is there any point in changing the wifi password to choosing your own when it displays on the screen when wifi is on?
Anybody who has access to the dash cam would see the password on the screen anyway

Sorry if this is off topic but is there any point in changing the wifi password to choosing your own when it displays on the screen when wifi is on?
Anybody who has access to the dash cam would see the password on the screen anyway

I don't see the wifi password show up on my screen, but then I'm not looking for it! I just stayed with the cryptic password they gave us to start with....\s - - I could care less about the password to my dashcam. The main thing is that you can quickly/easily link your phone to your camera. After the first time of using your password, it never asks for it again...it's all automatic, right?

Especially when the camera is always on, you do not want anybody to be able to connect to it by guessing the (very simple) default password.
You can only see the password on the display if you're inside the car, AND the display is on.

Especially when the camera is always on, you do not want anybody to be able to connect to it by guessing the (very simple) default password.
It is not recommended to have WiFi always on, as it significantly affects image quality by reducing the video bitrate.

I don't use WiFi on the the A129, but if I did it would only be for a very short duration, so the chance of someone else connecting to the camera is remote.

Back