Buffered Parking mode

Gotta' love the propensity of some sellers (usually Chinese but not always) to demand a photo of the un-photographable in order to obtain a return or refund.
yeah this is a large (500m pa turnover) Australian online retailer, they still play the same game though

I decided to post this video because the more I think about it, motion detection grid masking has the potential to dramatically eliminate some of the false triggering problems with dash cam parking mode.
The video explains in detail just how it works and what it is capable of. As I mentioned earlier I don't know if the camera's DSP is even capable of this but if it is and @viofo could implement even a primitive version of it, it might be a worthwhile enhancement to the current buffered parking mode feature.

you can reduce the MD area but it doesn't have that level of adjustment available

I wonder if there's room to at least improve that in this camera? I believe it would need to be more individually configurable to really make it work the way I think it needs to.

I wonder if there's room to at least improve that in this camera? I believe it would need to be more individually configurable to really make it work the way I think it needs to.
can be improved a bit, I've played with this and found it very hard to get reliable results, to the point where we no longer even offer motion detect in the new models, I'll put it back if it can be made reliable enough but at this time I don't feel it is, we're sticking with the low bitrate and timelapse options instead for the time being

can be improved a bit, I've played with this and found it very hard to get reliable results, to the point where we no longer even offer motion detect in the new models, I'll put it back if it can be made reliable enough but at this time I don't feel it is, we're sticking with the low bitrate and timelapse options instead for the time being

Yeah, I've already made my thinking about motion detection on dash cams clear so I'm with you on the idea of eliminating it completely. Then again, if at some point in the future if CCTV level motion detection masking could be made to work on dash cams I think it would be a boon for those who want MD parking mode. My WyzeCam actually has a "fairly" configurable motion detection capability but it is just a single square or rectangle that can be of any size and shape. They've recently introduced IR motion detection using separate modules.

Last edited:
yeah it needs the proper CCTV style masking (and be made user selectable), we can do some fixed tables but they're too broad to be effective, you still end up in this all or nothing situation for most people, occasionally it works ok for some but I think some of that comes down to luck, prebuffer is just a way to try and combat the poor reliability of motion detect, I still think it's a bandaid fix and doesn't really address the problem in getting motion detect working well in the first place

yeah it needs the proper CCTV style masking (and be made user selectable), we can do some fixed tables but they're too broad to be effective, you still end up in this all or nothing situation for most people, occasionally it works ok for some but I think some of that comes down to luck, prebuffer is just a way to try and combat the poor reliability of motion detect, I still think it's a bandaid fix and doesn't really address the problem in getting motion detect working well in the first place

Yeah, I guess there's a reason I record full time when parked despite the challenges. I also like that I often capture stuff that has nothing to do with my personal vehicle but is worthwhile, interesting or useful to record, such as this side cam parking lot crash that occurred while I was in the supermarket.

then they'd just take the card out to view your files :confused:

True! But if there was a feature to be able to add a pin number or password lock to the sd card within the dash cam as well and that will work with firmware, this would make it harder to access the contents. I know there are 3rd party software that can do this but will it work with the firmware. Plus when you format or install new firmware it will delete the software. So the firmware itself should have the ability to add a lock to the sd card and the firmware menu. Otherwise dash cams have very poor security. This is one of my wish lists for dash cams

yeah it's not like the parking lot was full and he was scoping out potential parking spots, certainly not watching where he was going though that's for sure

The cell phone distracted driver thing around here seems to have reached a whole new level despite that fact that it is illegal to use a handheld device in a vehicle and the fines went way up recently. People should lose their privilege to drive for a year just like a DUI.

The cell phone distracted driver thing around here seems to have reached a whole new level despite that fact that it is illegal to use a handheld device in a vehicle and the fines went way up recently. People should lose their privilege to drive for a year just like a DUI.

It's just as bad if not worse in Australia. It's become a pandamic. Even though the fines have gone up and 4 demerit points people are still using their phones while driving. I'm a driving instructor and see it every minute of every day and hence why I've had dash cams since I got in the industry. It's like looking out for a stray bullet constantly

It's just as bad if not worse in Australia. It's become a pandamic. Even though the fines have gone up and 4 demerit points people are still using their phones while driving. I'm a driving instructor and see it every minute of every day and hence why I've had dash cams since I got in the industry. It's like looking out for a stray bullet constantly

It's just crazy! I've posted about this topic several times recently, like for example THIS particular incident and the one linked to in that post. It's nuts.

It's just crazy! I've posted about this topic several times recently, like for example THIS particular incident and the one linked to in that post. It's nuts.

Just looked at that post. Bloody crazy and so dangerous! Yes most are teenage/young girls but a lot of guys do it too, especially tradies. Most cars these days have bluetooth connectivity or you can get a bluetooth connectivity device plus a cheap phone cradle to make handsfree calls. But people are still opting to hold the phones in their hands playing Russian rhulette with everyone's lives. Smart phones have literally made people dumb and dumber

Getting tired of being stuck at green lights while dummies are looking at their phones while stopped and don't notice that the lights have changed, can see them staring down at their lap like nobody can tell that they're playing with the phone, often get filthy looks when you hit the horn too

Getting tired of being stuck at green lights while dummies are looking at their phones while stopped and don't notice that the lights have changed, can see them staring down at their lap like nobody can tell that they're playing with the phone, often get filthy looks when you hit the horn too

Soon, AI police robots will scan for such behavior at traffic lights. If the AI determines you are using your personal communications device handheld while driving you will get a harsh official written warning email and a suitable fine determined by your social profile. If the AI determines you are using your personal communications device, not looking up at the road and the light has already turned green for more than 15 seconds and pending, the robot will approach, tear the door off your vehicle, and then drag you out onto the pavement where it will summarily execute you using its high performance captive bolt pistol.

After a while, people won't use their phones anymore while driving, but they might switch to a speaker phone. :borg:

Last edited:
Soon, AI police robots will scan for such behavior at traffic lights. If the AI determines you are using your personal communications device handheld while driving you will get a harsh official written warning email and a suitable fine determined by your social profile. If the AI determines you are using your personal communications device, not looking up at the road and the light has already turned green for more than 15 seconds and pending, the robot will approach, tear the door off your vehicle, and then drag you out onto the pavement where it will summarily execute you using its high performance captive bolt pistol.

After awhile, people won't use their phones anymore while driving, but they might switch to a speaker phone. :borg:

Lol love it! Sounds totally like a Big Brother scenario but it's probably the only way people will get it through their thick heads

Lol love it! Sounds totally like a Big Brother scenario but it's probably the only way people will get it through their thick heads

I suppose I can thank the Chinese government for this basic concept. :wideyed: But they say that Democracy is Coming to the USA too!

Back