Buffered Parking mode

I suppose I can thank the Chinese government for this basic concept. :wideyed: But they say that Democracy is Coming to the USA too!

There is no such thing as true democracy unfortunately. With AI being introduced into every device, home, car, workplace and maybe even into our bodies, everyone will be watched 24/7 by governments. There'll be no such thing as privacy. Already occuring in China...won't be long before the rest of the world will catchup. It's human nature...the more people do the wrong thing, the more reason the governments have to control everyone with technology

After a while, people won't use their phones anymore while driving, but they might switch to a speaker phone.
Last week I saw a lady driving along while her back seat passenger was leaning forwards and holding a phone on speaker mode against the drivers head. I don't think that's in the spirit of hands free calling...

Back to buffered parking mode and user selectable motion detection (MD) area. I think that's a new level of complexity that's still not going to work reliably. Perhaps a simple crop of the top 25% and the bottom 25% would reduce the frequency of false triggers from moving trees and dashboard flashing lights, without missing anything really important.

However I'm not convinced any MD based system is good enough, so I'm happy to stick with low bitrate parking recording. Interesting to read that newer SG models don't even offer any MD.

OK I just had some experience with the new v1.9 firmware.
  • Parking mode overnight: everything seems OK, several 45 second clips (pitch dark, no clear indication of why the clips were filmed. Possibly the blinking alarm LED on the dashboard, I need to cover that or whatever).
  • Going for a 10 minute drive: everything OK, entire trip was filmed.
  • Parking mode while parked: everything seems OK, several 45 second clips of actual events.
  • But then there was a problem while driving back home; another roughly 10 minute trip: this wasn't filmed at all! I noticed upon arrival that the red [Rec] LED was blinking fast.
Can someone please put down what are the best settings as they appear on the camera menu from start to the end,for Buffered Parking Mode after the 1.9 firmware update !
I'm beginning to think it's like doing the settings for another Moon landing !!

Catched the same bug with v1.9 (1.9t) after start driving - 45sec parking video finished, then red LED began blinking with beeps. Manual click on Rec button started normal rec mode.
(Samsung Evo+ 256gb SD) .

Catched the same bug with v1.9 (1.9t) after start driving - 45sec parking video finished, then red LED began blinking with beeps. Manual click on Rec button started normal rec mode.
(Samsung Evo+ 256gb SD) .
I had the same problem with firmware version 1.8 and 1.9 now too.

Can someone please put down what are the best settings as they appear on the camera menu from start to the end,for Buffered Parking Mode after the 1.9 firmware update !
I'm beginning to think it's like doing the settings for another Moon landing !!
Like this? https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/buffered-parking-mode.38637/post-476605

Btw I remembered that the iPhone app doesn't let you set two options that CAN be set in the camera itself;
- Parking G-sensor Sensitivity
- Parking Motion Detection Sensitivity

Yeah, I've already made my thinking about motion detection on dash cams clear so I'm with you on the idea of eliminating it completely. Then again, if at some point in the future if CCTV level motion detection masking could be made to work on dash cams I think it would be a boon for those who want MD parking mode. My WyzeCam actually has a "fairly" configurable motion detection capability but it is just a single square or rectangle that can be of any size and shape. They've recently introduced IR motion detection using separate modules.

For you guys that are not using auto-detection/buffered parking mode, but instead are using "low bit rate parking mode", how do you decide when to monitor your video? I really don't want to look all around my car every time I get in to see if there was something noteworthy on the video. Or is that what you do?

At home I have a Wyze camera also that monitors parking lot activity and I've masked area of interest, ie., near my car! So, at home it would be rather easy to determine when there may have been something noteworthy because the Wyze lists and "events/triggers".

I'm trying to decide if low-bit rate parking mode is the way to go for me....thanks for any info!

For you guys that are not using auto-detection/buffered parking mode, but instead are using "low bit rate parking mode", how do you decide when to monitor your video? I really don't want to look all around my car every time I get in to see if there was something noteworthy on the video. Or is that what you do?

At home I have a Wyze camera also that monitors parking lot activity and I've masked area of interest, ie., near my car! So, at home it would be rather easy to determine when there may have been something noteworthy because the Wyze lists and "events/triggers".

I'm trying to decide if low-bit rate parking mode is the way to go for me....thanks for any info!

Motion Detection (Buffered) Parking mode has always been been a hit and miss with me. I find low bitrate parking mode is best because I found that when it rains and the windshield and/or rear window is covered in raindrops the parking sensors don't pickup motion and don't record. Here in Melbourne, Australia we get 4 seasons in a day and low bitrate mode works best. Even 10 or 15fps mode is good

I'm trying to decide if low-bit rate parking mode is the way to go....thanks for any info!

As with many aspects of dash cam use, settings or technique I believe the best approach to deciding what parking mode to use is trial and error. After some experimentation and analysis you can make your own informed decision about what works best for your particular situation. Advice from others, while worth considering may not necessarily be the advice you need.

Unless you notice a big dent or someone has actually crashed into you while you're parked, little scratches here and there don't bother me as I get a lot of stone chips driving on the freeway anyway

Unless you notice a big dent or someone has actually crashed into you while you're parked, little scratches here and there don't bother me as I get a lot of stone chips driving on the freeway anyway

You're quite right. I washed and waxed my truck last week and discovered several dings and scratches that surely my dash cams would have captured at the time but I hadn't noticed so I never checked the footage. It doesn't help that I live on a dirt and gravel road in a rural area and it's hard to keep my vehicle clean enough in the first place to even notice minor scratches, and the dirt and gravel roads can be their own source of dings.

I think of my parking coverage as being there more for a major incident than for less consequential mishaps.

I think of my parking coverage as being there more for a major incident than for less consequential mishaps.
Same for me too. I don't have time to watch all of the motion detection videos triggered by all the cars and pedestrians that come close to my car during the day. In higher risk areas like a grocery store car park, I make a point of doing a quick 15-second inspection around the car before getting in.

Yeah, I'm not really concerned about dings, per se....partly because I park in places that make it hard to get dinged most of the time..lol...plus I have a ding protection plan on my car, so If I get any of those, they can most likely be taken out by dentless ding repair at no cost to me.

Like anyplace though, hoodlums here and there can break into your car, etc... of course, that's why we have insurance right? I have heard of a rash of car burglaries in our area which is one of the reasons I got a dashcam; the other reason was recently a clown in a older Ford pick-up truck was changing lanes right into me on the freeway and I almost had nowhere to go. - - Subsequent to that incident, I realized it would have been my word against his after the fact. I didn't particularly care for that eventuality. - - Luckily, I was able to maneuver and avoid the clown in the pick-up!

Btw, last night I changed my view on my cams, front & back...no big deal and easy enough to do. A couple clicks downward with the back cam & 1 click down with the front cam. Consequently, I had way, way less videos overnight. The treetops were no longer blowing in the breeze triggering the cam! - - I had gone from "low detection sensitivity" to "medium detection sensitivity"... Seems I might have missed one or two events that should have been triggered (only a car going by, lol) so, I'm testing now with same "masking-view" and high sensitivity.

I haven't tested this though, but I will hopefully this week when I start driving more. But I use low bitrate and I put the parking mode gsenser to the high sensitivity so when I put the sd card in my pc I watch the saved events. But thats in theory since again, I haven't tested how well this works. Will try to do this week, you could message me if I dont update this post. Ill prob test it by letting my car go in parking mode and slamming my door closed and slamming the trunk and passenger doors to see if it saves

I haven't tested this though, but I will hopefully this week when I start driving more. But I use low bitrate and I put the parking mode gsenser to the high sensitivity so when I put the sd card in my pc I watch the saved events. But thats in theory since again, I haven't tested how well this works. Will try to do this week, you could message me if I dont update this post. Ill prob test it by letting my car go in parking mode and slamming my door closed and slamming the trunk and passenger doors to see if it saves

I'm pretty much doing the same thing right now. - - I have the dashcam in low bit rate park mode w/ high sensitivity G-sensor. I went to the store a while ago and gave my car a shake before I got back in the car and I also slammed the door... I'll check tomorrow to see if those shakes registered. I would sure hope so! - Since the motion detector is non-applicable in this parking mode, I raised both my cameras up a bit so that I can see the trees better!

Btw, I realize the g-force items end up in the RO file. Does anyone know what RO stands for? Just curious...

Ahhh....that's it. Makes perfect sense! - - Somehow I knew you'd be the one who answered my question... : ) Thanks Jokiin!

I updated to the latest v1.9 firmware yesterday. I really haven't gone anywhere and parked, just through a drive-thru and back home. I usually turn the camera off when home because it's either in the garage or in the driveway and I have a security cam above the garage door that looks over my driveway, so no need for the dash cam to be running.

Anyway, I left it in parking mode for a while today while in the driveway. I'm just now looking over the files on the card and I noticed that twice it didn't record/save a rear clip (PR). There is a PF clip for the same timestamp, but no PR. It goes right on to another PF clip. It's only done it twice among a couple dozen 43-45 second clips.

Everything else seemed to work OK so far.

I wish the buffered parking mode would record at higher bitrate, especially on the rear camera. I've noticed in a parking lot at night the front cam looks fine but the rear cam is grainy as all get out. My front parking mode clip bitrates are around 9832kbps while the rear is only around 8194kbps
I know the dark tint on the rear window doesn't help, but during the day the rear cam footage looks fine and not too dark. Maybe I'll play around with the rear exposure setting to try and get better night video without the day video getting washed out.

I updated to the latest v1.9 firmware yesterday. I really haven't gone anywhere and parked, just through a drive-thru and back home. I usually turn the camera off when home because it's either in the garage or in the driveway and I have a security cam above the garage door that looks over my driveway, so no need for the dash cam to be running.

Anyway, I left it in parking mode for a while today while in the driveway. I'm just now looking over the files on the card and I noticed that twice it didn't record/save a rear clip (PR). There is a PF clip for the same timestamp, but no PR. It goes right on to another PF clip. It's only done it twice among a couple dozen 43-45 second clips.

Everything else seemed to work OK so far.

I wish the buffered parking mode would record at higher bitrate, especially on the rear camera. I've noticed in a parking lot at night the front cam looks fine but the rear cam is grainy as all get out. My front parking mode clip bitrates are around 9832kbps while the rear is only around 8194kbps
I know the dark tint on the rear window doesn't help, but during the day the rear cam footage looks fine and not too dark. Maybe I'll play around with the rear exposure setting to try and get better night video without the day video getting washed out.

I added the standard legal tinting to my side and rear windows.... 30% - 35%??? - - So I ended up adding +exposure of 4/3's to back window. That seems to work fine for me. - - I'm using low bit rate park mode tonight so I'll have to see how that works for the rear cam tomorrow.

I added the standard legal tinting to my side and rear windows.... 30% - 35%??? - - So I ended up adding +exposure of 4/3's to back window. That seems to work fine for me. - - I'm using low bit rate park mode tonight so I'll have to see how that works for the rear cam tomorrow.

I have 20% (light transmission) tint on all but the windshield. I just set my rear exposure to +0.3. I'll probably have to try a few of the settings

Back