Buffered Parking mode

I just hooked up my A129. Can you set the parking mode to record upon impact only? Or is it impact and motion?

Sometimes I park on a busy road so I don't need the motion activation but would still like for it to record upon impact

I believe @viofo would be best to answer that question but I highly doubt the parking g-sensor would work without selecting a parking mode. I could be proven wrong though

I just hooked up my A129. Can you set the parking mode to record upon impact only? Or is it impact and motion?

Sometimes I park on a busy road so I don't need the motion activation but would still like for it to record upon impact
You can try to lower the motion sensitivity down to minimum. Regarding the impact detection, I suggest you test it before trusting it. For many users, inclusing myself, this doesn't work at all in parking mode.

You can try to lower the motion sensitivity down to minimum. Regarding the impact detection, I suggest you test it before trusting it. For many users, inclusing myself, this doesn't work at all in parking mode.

I updated my firmware but I don't see an impact only option in parking mode

I believe in theory you can just have the. g-sensor parking mode on... you can leave off the other parking modes, ie, auto-detect, time lapse & low bit rate, and still turn on the g-sensor parking. The obvious problem at this time is G-sensor parking does not work. - - It may be a month out before a new firmware comes out to fix the problem. - - Once that happens, you're all set!

My settings are as follows:

Parking Mode: Auto Event detection
Parking G-Sensor: High sensitivity
Parking motion detection: low
Time lapse recording: off
Motion detection: off
G-sensor: low sensitivity

When I checked my camera it seemed to record motion. Do I need to change any settings?

Last edited:
My settings are as follows:

Parking Mode: Auto Event detection
Parking H-Sensor: High sensitivity
Parking motion detection: low
Time lapse recording: off
Motion detection: off
G-sensor: low sensitivity

When I checked my camera it seemed to record motion. Do I need to change any settings?
Those are the best settings for what you are trying to achieve, but it will still record some motion even on the lowest sensitivity level. I don't think there is a g-sensor only parking mode option.

Those are the best settings for what you are trying to achieve, but it will still record some motion even on the lowest sensitivity level. I don't think there is a g-sensor only parking mode option.
Thank you. Hopefully the new firmware update changes this!

Thank you. Hopefully the new firmware update changes this!

Hey, I'm thinking out of the box for you...put a sock over the camera and you won't get any motion detected... (of course both cams!)

edit: ooops... there's a fly in the ointment. If you got the big g-sensor event triggered, you wouldn't get that either!!! Maybe socks with holes in them... ; )

Last edited:
Hey, I'm thinking out of the box for you...put a sock over the camera and you won't get any motion detected... (of course both cams!)

There's always a solution lol. As long as they are clean socks

Is there a limit to the number of events recorded with auto event detection? It seems to top out at about 24, and in my case mostly shows me blowing trees even in low motion sensitivity. It still pretends to be recording though and the LED turns solid if motion is detected. Have tried a few different firmwares. If I drove daily this probably wouldn't be an issue as the counter would reset each time, though my car is often parked up a few days at a time. I think I'll have to stick with low bitrate or time lapse until I can be more confident in event detection.

To enable buffered parking mode you need to select Auto event detection. Unfortunately, there is no "Impact only" option.
That option is coming soon once Parking Mode G-sensor sensitivity can detect door closing, which is always test #1. Currently A129 perfectly detects door closing only while driving.

My camera is fine in driving mode but in parking mode auto events it just seems to recording everything for 45/60 sec it's set on the minimum setting! And odd times I go over a pot hole and I get the bleeps but can't see any thing different when I'm viewing the files!

Just wondering what are we waiting for now !!!

Its been a couple weeks since I last got on here. I hope viofo has figured out the gsensor issue...

I have my parking mode motion detection on the lowest setting and I think that is a bit too sensitive.

When parked in the driveway with parking mode on, it will record 45 second clips every minute or two with mostly just a couple leaves moving in the distance or a change in brightness due to a cloud moving overhead.

Friday afternoon when I parked in the garage I left the camera on in parking mode just to see how it reacts. Surprisingly, it worked rather well.
I have a detached garage so coming and going from the house through the garage isn't an issue.
After I parked and it entered parking mode it recorded a couple 45 second clips due to me putting the garage door down, and after a couple minutes when the light on the automatic garage door opener went off. It detected the light change in the garage, even though the 60w bulb wasn't visible from the cameras as it's the bulb on the garage door opener motor that's mounted above the vehicle. It didn't record again until I went into the garage through a side door that isn't visible to either camera to grab some tools. It detected the daylight coming in through the doorway when I opened the door.
It then recorded a couple 45 second clips about 3 hours later when my wife came home and pulled into the garage.
It didn't record anymore until 15 hours later when I was in the garage doing stuff. No one was in the garage for that entire 15 hours, so basically no reason to record. It went from 1900 on 8/16 to 2200 on 8/17 with no recordings, but then had a few dozen 45 second clips when I was out there doing stuff from 2200-2300 then turned it off and pulled the card before going back inside.

When parked in the driveway with parking mode on, it will record 45 second clips every minute or two with mostly just a couple leaves moving in the distance or a change in brightness due to a cloud moving overhead.

This is a very common behavior for motion detect with most cams which is why very few experienced users rely on it alone. Even with the companies who do it best you'll still find some reports of missed events and false activations. As I see things I'd rather have some false activations than to miss any events at all ;) It's probably one of the hardest things for a dashcam manufacturer to excel at, but given Viofo's reputation I believe it will come out well in time.

Phil

hope they fix motion detection settings soon. right now it's recording almost everything on low
G sensor on high does not even work :(

It seems an awful long time since we had any updates or any suggestions or here'd from Viofo on this subject. I'm ever hope full there is something big just round the corner!
I do hope so I think it would make a lot of people happy
Don't you!
Or are we looking for something that's unachievable !!
It would make good camera very good!

Last edited:
It seems an awful long time since we had any updates or any suggestions or here'd from Viofo on this subject. I'm ever hope full there is something big just round the corner!
I do hope so I think it would make a lot of people happy
Don't you!
Or are we looking for something that's unachievable !!
It would make good camera very good!

Three weeks ago they said they would be coming out with the upgraded firmware within the month. I emailed them yesterday asking about an update as to when we can expect it. I will have to wait the usual 2 to 3 days before I will get any reply from them... "quick communication" is not part of their service.

It seems Viofo would rather not deal with this topic so they have avoided this thread and another "communication thread" set-up solely for dealing with this issue. I will report back when I finally hear from @viofo.

Back