Buffered Parking mode

A couple guys from this thread and I have been in discussion with Viofo/Bill Zhou (via conversation). Although BCHobbyist mentioned a firmware forthwcoming, I think it needs to be delayed a bit. It appears that Viofo wasn't aware how bad the g-force sensor was... I believe they are going to change the firmware settings for g-sensor before they come out with the new firmware.

The first beta buffered parking FW that I tested way back in January had good g-sensor sensitivity, but it did not handle the trigger very well.

The parking g-sensor has not worked since the version posted on 26th March, which was the first time we had separate driving and parking g-sensor settings.

I've been checking this thread almost daily, is there still an announcement? Was it the release of the Wk/Wl/Wm firmware? Or something else that has hit a snag, thus delaying the announcement?
The A129 v1.90 firmware is for the new WiFi APP for Parking Mode sensitivity adjustments. unfortunately v1.90 still has buffered Parking Auto Event Detection Mode issues. The Drive G-sensor and Parking G-sensor sensitivity are wildly different which makes no sense since it obviously works while driving just not when parked. I'm waiting for more buffered improvements but v1.70 v1.80 v1.90 aren't hitting the target quite yet...

My g-sensor "while driving" and while parked does not work at all, even with "high sensitivity" settings.; the other guys partaking in the conversation with @viofo either have the same experience or very intermittent triggers while driving....and none while parked.

I can remove my dashcam from the windshield and shake it both in driving mode and parking mode to trigger the g-sensor/yellow triangle, etc; but other than doing that, I cannot get the g-sensor to trigger. - - Bill Zhou said they will go back to their engineers and readjust the settings in the firmware. - - We/users should be getting the same results as the Viofo engineers and vice versa.

Maybe it was a bad batch of G-sensor components installed into some cams?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The first beta buffered parking FW that I tested way back in January had good g-sensor sensitivity, but it did not handle the trigger very well.

The parking g-sensor has not worked since the version posted on 26th March, which was the first time we had separate driving and parking g-sensor settings.
Before V1.9 there is bug for parking g-sensor, but fixed in V1.9.
Some users still complain the G-sensor is not so sensitive, like taping the camera will not lock the video. They expect small shaking can also be detected.

We also did the same testing with other brand dash cam, it can also not lock the video if you just taping the camera or not shake heavily.

We have improved the sensitivity in a new beta version, we will still look further and do more testing before offer new version.
As I remmebered some user complains the G-sensor is too sensitive on A119S before.

I understand it is difficult to find the right balance between being too sensitive and not being sensitive enough. If people are slamming their car doors and not triggering the g-sensor on the highest sensitivity, I would say that's not sensitive enough to do the job it is intended to do.

When you add a separate parking g-sensor setting in the menu, users will expect it to be triggered by events that might happen when parked.

I understand it is difficult to find the right balance between being too sensitive and not being sensitive enough. If people are slamming their car doors and not triggering the g-sensor on the highest sensitivity, I would say that's not sensitive enough to do the job it is intended to do.

When you add a separate parking g-sensor setting in the menu, users will expect it to be triggered by events that might happen when parked.

@viofo I'm with @TonyM . While our cars are parked, the G-Sensor should be able to be triggered by someone hitting the body and windows of the car whether it's with their hands or their car door hitting ours, especially at the HIGH setting. So if the G-Sensor isn't triggered in those situations, how will it trigger if a car scrapes our car while entering or leaving the car spot next to ours?

I've just gone back and re-tested the beta FW V1.6B 20190122 that I tested in January. On 'medium' sensitivity the G-sensor was not triggered by closing my door normally, but was triggered by closing it firmly. The 'high' setting was about the same as 'medium'.

If you could use the V1.6B level of sensitivity for the parking mode of V1.9 I think that would be a step in the right direction.

I have FW 1.9 and I find that with the Drive gsensor set to high sensitivity the footage is locked every time I go over a speedbump but in park mode the gsensor in high sensitivity will not lock any footage , slam doors , bang bonnet, tap camera etc.

I've had the same experience as you @Lvjcr08 and so has @StrayCam , but my Driving G-Sensor has been inconsistent on HIGH. I travel the same roads every day and some days I get a trigger on every pothole or speedhump if I drive fast over them and other days maybe one or nothing at all

Impressions for V1.9:
- the first half hour in parking mode has recorded clips 3 minutes, then a clip of 1 and a half and then the rest for 45 seconds.
- motion-triggered clips overlap for 8-10 seconds.
- recorded continuously, triggered by motion, from 11:41 to 15:53
- after the first clip in which there was no movement, nothing was recorded until morning when I switched from parking mode to drive; the recording lights and the microphone were illuminated on the camera before I started the car.
I try another day but I think I will go back to low bitrate parking mode.
And a question: why in the parking mode the bitrate is half the drive mode?

Before V1.9 there is bug for parking g-sensor, but fixed in V1.9.
Some users still complain the G-sensor is not so sensitive, like taping the camera will not lock the video. They expect small shaking can also be detected.

We also did the same testing with other brand dash cam, it can also not lock the video if you just taping the camera or not shake heavily.

We have improved the sensitivity in a new beta version, we will still look further and do more testing before offer new version.
As I remmebered some user complains the G-sensor is too sensitive on A119S before.

I pushed down hard 20 times on the back of my car with the trunk lid open while the g-sensor was in auto-detect mode with the g-Sensor on "high" and it did not trigger the g-sensor. I'm certain that it would not have even triggered if I had pushed it down and up another 30 times! - - There is absolutely no question at all that the g-sensor is not working properly in "parking mode"!!! - - Hopefully the new firmware corrects the problem.

I like that idea a lot! I maintain many CCTV systems for businesses, and it might be a nice future feature to define a zone to just ignore for motion detection. Regular CCTV systems can do this, to avoid false positives/wasting storage space. Perhaps something as simple as it (optionally) ignoring the TOP HALF or TOP 2/3 of the image, if it has enough brain power to do so? (so it would, in theory, only react to things close to the vehicle, not trees etc)

It might be a nice wishlist item.

I installed 1.9 today on two A129's in our cars, and will give this a try. I have 2 Viofo HW kits, but never took the time to install them. I'll take care of that, too, so we can start recording 24/7.

Mike

That's the problem with motion detection on dash cams; either you get false triggers or the camera may fail to record. Motion detection is really a technology from the CCTV industry that is intended for use in a static environment such as a warehouse, office environment or retail space at night when no one is around. I can see it being used for dash cams in a similar static environment such as a parking garage. Outdoors, there are numerous things that cause false triggers such the aforementioned trees blowing in the wind and also pedestrians, stray animals, birds flying past, moving clouds etc. can all trigger the camera. Now in my ninth year of dash cam use and experience has taught me to avoid motion detection entirely.

Most CCTV systems have the capability to mask off areas within a grid where you do not want motion detection to function specifically for avoiding false triggers or for designating a zone of capture where you anticipate motion such as a doorway. Does the A129 have this? If not, and if the DSP is capable perhaps it would be a good addition to the buffered parking mode feature? One could create a "bubble of motion detection" within a designated distance surrounding one's vehicle.

Here masking is used on a CCTV cam to avoid triggers from the motion of the trees.

View attachment 47535

Last edited:
I guess I will wait to update my new camera, if people are having issues what’s the point.

Well people were having issues with the 1.6 1.7 1.8 and 1.9 beta but I think 1.9 is fairly stable

I will get hang of the camera first. I did quiet that annoying beeping and I would like that flashing red light to go bye,bye. There is a record button on top,I don,t need the one bottom left blinking when I am not recording. I may place a piece of black tape on it so it does not distract me when I am driving.

I will get hang of the camera first. I did quiet that annoying beeping and I would like that flashing red light to go bye,bye. There is a record button on top,I don,t need the one bottom left blinking when I am not recording. I may place a piece of black tape on it so it does not distract me when I am driving.
You can turn off the beep sound in the menu.

I like that idea a lot! I maintain many CCTV systems for businesses, and it might be a nice future feature to define a zone to just ignore for motion detection. Regular CCTV systems can do this, to avoid false positives/wasting storage space. Perhaps something as simple as it (optionally) ignoring the TOP HALF or TOP 2/3 of the image, if it has enough brain power to do so? (so it would, in theory, only react to things close to the vehicle, not trees etc)

It might be a nice wishlist item.

I installed 1.9 today on two A129's in our cars, and will give this a try. I have 2 Viofo HW kits, but never took the time to install them. I'll take care of that, too, so we can start recording 24/7.

Mike
Support setting motion detection zone is a feature we planned to add in near future.

You can turn off the beep sound in the menu.
I did turn off the beep sound, I would like to see the led bottom left to disappear, why do you have this led on the 129 any way, you have a recording light on the top, makes no sense to me?

Back