Buffered Parking mode

I'm saying that 4K delivers a much better chance of reading license plates, whatever the bitrate as long as it is not less.

I still find this statement hard to swallow though, for the same reasons mentioned above. Does anyone else care to chime in?

I still find this statement hard to swallow though, for the same reasons mentioned above. Does anyone else care to chime in?
I agree with what Nigel says. I have 1080p dashcam as well as the 4k and have had better results at results with the 4k. Personally I don’t mind at all the extra sized files.

Last edited:
I agree with what Nigel says. I have 1080p dashcam as well as the 4k and have had better results at results...

Are the resulting file sizes per each minute of recording exactly the same on each dashcam? Or are the files much larger on the the 4K camera? Because that is what we are talking about -- not simply if the 4K dashcam can record higher quality video.

It's obvious that a 4K camera will record in better quality at higher bitrate outputs. But Nigel said it will also record in better quality at the same exact bitrate output as 1080p cameras. I think not.

Update: Since you edited your comment after I responded, it's clear that you are simply stating an opinion irregardless of resulting file size.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear buffered parking mode still isn't quite working as you'd expect.

Not too upsetting for me though, as I mostly wanted a dashcam for driving.

I've tried the low-bitrate pseduo-parking-mode, but found it unsatisfactory. 12+ hours of footage of the inside of my garage - longer if I've taken the motorcycle to work - isn't very useful.

Sorry to hear buffered parking mode still isn't quite working as you'd expect.

Not too upsetting for me though, as I mostly wanted a dashcam for driving.

I've tried the low-bitrate pseduo-parking-mode, but found it unsatisfactory. 12+ hours of footage of the inside of my garage - longer if I've taken the motorcycle to work - isn't very useful.
You can manually shut off the dash camera for when your parked in a secure area.

Reactions: Mtz
Are the resulting file sizes per each minute of recording exactly the same on each dashcam? Or are the files much larger on the the 4K camera? Because that is what we are talking about -- not simply if the 4K dashcam can record higher quality video.

It's obvious that a 4K camera will record in better quality at higher bitrate outputs. But Nigel said it will also record in better quality at the same exact bitrate output as 1080p cameras. I think not.

Update: Since you edited your comment after I responded, it's clear that you are simply stating an opinion irregardless of resulting file size.
Here is a frame grab from the A129 Pro 4K low bitrate parking mode which was recording at 3832 Kbps, same bitrate as the A129 Duo records low bitrate parking mode at. I've resized it down to 1080 and overlaid that in the top right.

y4m2LFgHVN6hfywh3q40RXO3ZMlnzXvn0pVMQc-NMjOnDL351dlv7IC62qodkFcDjE0l9ph-INC6jCPHkvzmgzIeC8nJ4yicPfi_D1L-uUaE3xznrKqDYydwwP4xeX1vMOEmfLM454G77ol4V3ZvT8mTMwYC93QB1adbAUCqILYC4pXVtAcyZs5WTJfBwnUaSGa

If we take the number plate from the car far right and compare the 4K version to the perfect 1080 reduction and enlarge it a bit, we see:

y4mFiQuc9mcYF9tRvSB2tSn4xYYu0_YeoubM0VIeREd6lyqKuAWyxeh8tW2yNjpV-CcOcvmw-Ms3Qo2w3FkrvgCe5vCAzYjMjc4qxDUHm_agh1sKABTLcmGkglR38RnwqkuovUyhX1yR_YgSUo6iS-hfhRLI0fE4Etbv14qWOQN41TeBHyPC4GvfHlvaMkcyapr

Neither version is perfect, this was 3.8 Mbps video and it is from near the edge of the frame, but it is clear that even when the reduction to 1080 is perfect, there is more information in the 4K version than the 1080 version, a 1080 camera could not do better, it doesn't have enough pixels.

For the plate directly in front it is not so clear since both are perfectly readable:

y4m5KSx4ZJejCcvgpLLaHxs-axnaHt2tDreO4yu8fwG6NZW0xzNrjKXnYyC0ZtR3DejBoY5aNMzS-TkL4DSBhEvkiR7dcWrCYdO5ucP4qC6jldgghr8M-m6ihFnM0fyeyGGRiRzhDWiNM8S4BNjUG-DDzI9cavvAEIaeCQwGt94lOrD68Rp96b0VUFU5upJU1MP

In reality, even the best 1080 camera is not going to do as well as my perfect reduction.

Here is a frame grab from the A129 Pro 4K low bitrate parking mode which was recording at 3832 Kbps, same bitrate as the A129 Duo records low bitrate parking mode at. I've resized it down to 1080 and overlaid that in the top right.

Yes, but there is an issue with the methodology used in your example. If you took a single 3840x2160 frame of a video recorded on a 4K 2160p camera, and reduced it in size to 1920x1080 via a photo editing tool, the resulting image is at the mercy of the particular resizing algorithm used by that photo editing tool. Additionally, the larger image has only been encoded and compressed into a lower bitrate once. You've taken that already encoded and compressed 4k 2160p frame and re-encoded and re-compressed it yet again. The results would likely be different if you took a frame grab directly from the recorded video file of an HD 1080p camera, which was only encoded and compressed once.

Last edited:
Did anyone notice the rear head rests in the white fiesta! They are at full extension, pretty much touching the roof! :oops:

Did anyone notice the rear head rests in the white fiesta! They are at full extension, pretty much touching the roof! :oops:
The occupants were shorter than average, one would have had to stand on toe tips to see over the roof!

Is there any advantage to using the newer mount for the a129 versus the older mount? if not, is there any advantage of using the mount power connection vs the dash cam power connection? Thanks for any info on this.

Is there any advantage to using the newer mount for the a129 versus the older mount? if not, is there any advantage of using the mount power connection vs the dash cam power connection? Thanks for any info on this.

Since nobody has offered any advice, I think the best thing to do is to start a new thread, so I will. I am sure there are many other users who have a similar question.

Unfortunately, if customers go to Viofo's website, they will see absolutely nothing dealing with the change of GPS mounts. This is rather pathetic but fits the "type of support" you get from Viofo!

Since nobody has offered any advice, I think the best thing to do is to start a new thread, so I will. I am sure there are many other users who have a similar question.

Unfortunately, if customers go to Viofo's website, they will see absolutely nothing dealing with the change of GPS mounts. This is rather pathetic but fits the "type of support" you get from Viofo!
The newer mounts support the 3rd wire from the 3-wire hardwire kit. Keep in mind that the camera has to also support it. If you always power directly into the camera, then there is no difference.

Hello, I do not understand what is current state of "Buffered Parking Mode", does it works on Viofo A129 and A129 Pro?
by reading several port I got that it works just for a beta firmware (1.5), is it true?

Last edited:
You did not read enough.
For buffered parking mode just download the latest firmware from viofo.com.

enjoy,
Mtz

Hi all

My current set up is as follows :

Car cigarette output - > Celllink Neo
Celllink Neo Ciggerate output-> Viofo A129 Plus Duo

Parking mode : Auto detect event
Parking G sensor : Med
Parking Motion Sensor : Med

G Sensor : Off
Motion Sensor : Off

Here's the behavior :

1. Once in driving mode, if the car doesn't detect any action for few (maybe 5) minutes it goes into parking mode.

2. once in parking mode, it works as expected.
Buffer records if the car has been hit.

Here's the problem

3. Once I start driving, the cam never gets out of the parking mode. It's always stuck in the event mode. From my understanding is, once the GPS hits 8mile/h, the car should switch to driving mode.

However this isn't happening.

On further testing, the switch back from Parking to Driving mode isn't happening on any of the parking modes.

How do I trigger the cam to automatically go back to driving mode.

If hardwiring is indeed the solution, I can only hardwire the camera to Battery. But absolutely can not hardwire anything to the car.

Is it possible to hardwire Cellink Neo to Viofo.
I have the Cellink output unspliced cable and Viofo Harwiring kit.

They both have Red, Black, yellow cables. But how do I connect them?

HK3 red BAT wire must be connected to permanent power. This BAT wire is giving power to the camera in normal mode and in parking mode so camera can record videos.
HK3 yellow ACC wire must be connected to accesories power. This ACC wire is detecting when the car engine is running and depending on its status the camera will record as normal mode or parking mode.
No matter how are you powering the dashcam my advice is that for the moment to use your A129+ in timelapse mode or low bitrate mode and after few days you are sure the camera is working as you expect to try again or wait for a new firmware from Viofo.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back