C1 - Cable trick for DashCam use!

adchesney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Folks,

I ordered a C1 and C2 on 12th January (arrived 7th Feb) - but did not realise I needed a "special cable" for dashcam use, I only found this information out courtesy of this forum. However, the folks at Innovv agreed to send me two cables (still yet to be received).

However, I have a trick to fix the issue until I get the "special cable".

The standard USB cable has 4 "pins" - the two outer are the +/- voltage and the tow inner "pins" are data. So all I've done so as to use this as a dashcam is to mask off the two middle data pins with some thin sticky paper (e.g. a label or PostIt Note) this therefore gives the camera the USB +/- voltage and the camera flashes green/red indicating recording.

Of course, the masking needs to be removed, if you want to use the cable for connecting to your PC (e.g. updating firmware, getting videos off, etc.).

I hope this helps those who are frustrated waiting for the dashcam cables - necessity is the mother of invention!

Regards

ANDREW

tricky Dicky :) I like.

Dident the C2 come with the cable as it is marked as a dashcam ?

The C1 and C2 had the same cables - OK for PC transfer and charging but no good for dashcam - unless using the mask trick.

ANDREW

Good to know..
why masking 2 data pins ddo the trick?
is it if the 5v car plug pull up the Data+ pin to 5v?
I wonder if we mod inside the car plug power unit, will it do the same trick.
make sure data+and data - are ope.

Back