California Motorcycle Lanesplitting time lapse

Not sure if where the video was shot, if lane splitting is legal. But when he passed the police car he went to the middle of the lane like a model citizen. The whole time I was watching this I thought of that video of the rider that was killed; I know in this case he never got over 25 or so but still.

I could see myself dooing the same in a grid Lock or very slow moving traffic, but there is bikers out there that will blitz thru gaps between cars moving at speed.

Lane splitting = deathwish. Seems to me the shoulder would be a hell of a lot safer! Oh, but driving on the shoulder is illegal.

these cats lane split here in LA daily. from the smallest moped to the loudest crotch rocket. its legal from what i see and they also get to ride in the HOV lane! :p

i check my rear mirror every few seconds on the 101 when in traffic as they will come up out of no where. some are safe riders, others just zip through... dangerous either way.

When done properly (i.e. legally), splitting lanes on a motorcycle is far safer than riding along with traffic.

This was in Northern California. I think California is the only state that it is legal. These motorcycle riders will do this even if cars are going 80mph. I will save the video the next time a motorcycle rider lane splits while I'm already going very fast. It happens every week.

CA lane splitting is under review.

As a 'cager' I see nothing wrong with 'lane-spliting' or 'filtering' - providing it is done with care.
In other words, marginally faster than surrounding vehicles.
So, when traffic is at a standstill, bikes should be coming through at a crawl - however, when traffic is heavy but moving at the speed limit (or thereabouts), there really is no need for bikes to be coming through.
I also think that bikers should think very carefully about ploughing through between vehicles (like the above clips) - better to overtake vehicles in the outside lane - since the only place those vehicles would ever think about moving to would be to the inside lane?

I'm a rider and whether lane splitting was legal or not, I would never do it. IMO, it's a stupid and risky maneuver in order to simply save some time and perhaps aggravation.

...IMO, it's a stupid and risky maneuver in order to simply save some time and perhaps aggravation.

My sentiments exactly. In fact riding a 2 wheeled vehicle at highway speeds falls into the same category which is why I gave it up many years ago.

It's bad enough when you're driving, constantly on the lookout for the morons changing lane without warning etc etc - but to have zero protection and still put yourself in that situation really beggars belief.

I have no particular issue with the way the biker in Pier28's video was riding-- it looked like they were generally riding in a careful manner. But you can see the obvious potential for a risky situation-- there were a number of cars that changed lanes in front of the biker. Due to the timelapse, it's not obvious if they close calls, or if the lane changes were safe.

It's no surprise to me that the rider merged with the middle lane to go past the cops-- his lane-splitting looked generally careful, and when presented with cars on the inside shoulder (police cars or not), it's best to give them space. i.e. don't lane-split between parked cars and traffic!

Arriving in style :)

Here's an example of lane splitting I recorded on the way home from the city today. (Street Guardian SG7LA50G in Super-HD) ((PS, I need to set my date format to MM/DD/YYYY))

Back